THE DECADE IS ALMOST OVER, WHAT ARE THE NOUGHTIES CLASSICS?

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
Nathaniel

Post by Nathaniel »

MANILLA ROAD-Gates of fire and Voyager
BROCAS HELM-Defenders of the crown
THE LAMP OF THOTH-Portents, omens and dooms
THE GATES OF SLUMBER-Conqueror
SLOUGH FEG-Hardworlder
KAAMOS-both albums
NECROS CHRISTOS-Triune impurity rites
PENTACLE-Under the black cross
ASPHYX-death...the brutal way
HELLISH CROSSFIRE-slaves of the burning pentagram
"Alcohol is the cause and the solution to all our problems" Homer J. Simpson

BANG YOUR FUCKING SKULL!!!
http://www.myspace.com/resistance667
Zherneboh

Post by Zherneboh »

I concur twicely then a further time with:
Adramelch - Broken History, Pagan Altar - Mythical & Magical
+
Atlantean Kodex - Pnakothic Demos (my favourite release of the 00's!)
Cage - Hell Destroyer (narration? yes)
Virgin Steele - Visions of Eden (despite cack drums)
Doomsword - Let Battle Commence (has to be my favourite...'In the Battlefield' is a TITAN)
Ironsword - Return of the Warrior
Manilla Road - Spiral Castle
Root - Black Seal
Metalucifer - Heavy Metal Chainsoooooow
Human Fortress - Defenders of the Crown (Joiti's vocals induce firming)
Weigh anchor, hoist the sails
Cruisin' for booty on watery trails
mordred

Post by mordred »

Zherneboh wrote:Virgin Steele - Visions of Eden
:shock:
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
Zherneboh

Post by Zherneboh »

Yes, yes I too was boggle-eyed with amazement at the sheer audacity of the man. Anti-phallocentric symphonic barbaric romantic metal opera^2 was the only "wall of never thought" that needed scrambling. Looks like it's curtains in tabootown and Defeis' the mayor.
Weigh anchor, hoist the sails
Cruisin' for booty on watery trails
dford

Post by dford »

Right off the top of my head
Warning "Watching From a Distance" top of my list
Pagan Altar "Volume 1"
WHW "Of Empires Forlorn"
Primordial " To The Nameless Dead" + got to see them live here in northern Canada
There have been so many great lp's released but right now this is where my head is at. Now if only Razor would re-unite with Sheepdog and release an album by the end of the year................
'pataphysicien

Post by 'pataphysicien »

Nathaniel wrote: NECROS CHRISTOS-Triune impurity rites
HELLISH CROSSFIRE-slaves of the burning pentagram
great choices. kudos for the Hellish Crossfire. this KILLS 'modern thrash' and generic 'black/thrash' fodder.
surfacer wrote:Do you know ?

because of stupid like you. Died My old friend Jon Nödtveidt.
Nathaniel

Post by Nathaniel »

yeah, actually, I don't enjoy that many "old school" thrash metal bands from nowadays, but HELLISH CROSSFIRE is somehow different in my ears. It's like they don't pretend to be this or that, they simply ARE what thrash metal is about. It reminds me a bit of the spirit I could find in the first FARSCAPE album "demon's massacre" from Brazil, a couple of years ago. These bands sound like they could have released their albums back in the 80's, they have the same freshness as the classic bands from the early days.

dford

Post by dford »

That Hellish Crossfire is really good, always heard about them but this is the first time I've listened them, I'll have to pick this up. I know what you mean about most of those "old school" bands coming out today, It sounds like they try but fall short. One lp I really enjoy is Crucified Mortals Converted By Decapitation.
Nathaniel

Post by Nathaniel »

yeah I saw some rave reviews about CRUCIFIED MORTALS too, I should give a listen to them as well. Thanks for reminding me!

'pataphysicien

Post by 'pataphysicien »

not to forget: Hellish Crossfire have a new one coming out soon. should slay.
surfacer wrote:Do you know ?

because of stupid like you. Died My old friend Jon Nödtveidt.
dford

Post by dford »

Nathaniel wrote:yeah I saw some rave reviews about CRUCIFIED MORTALS too, I should give a listen to them as well. Thanks for reminding me!
http://www.myspace.com/crucifiedmortals
I really enjoy the full length and have a 7 inch by them. They do alot of splits, some are really great others are so-so.
Kostello

Post by Kostello »

some of the first releases that come to mind (and with thanks to some previous posts that reminded them to me)

Raging Storm - s/t (Brilliant, maybe better than Crush for me, my fave Greek release)
BattleroaR - To Death and Beyond (this album is incredible)
Thunder Rider - Tales of Darkness & Light Chapter II (very underrated, i have the impression that it passed almost unnoticed..or not?)
Zandelle - Vengeance Rising (The perfect mix of European & US Metal, i will agree that has its happy moments, but the giutars/melodies and vocals are out of this earth)
Doomsword - Resound the Horn & My name will live on (IMO, the best will forever be the debut, 100% FLAWLESS Epic Metal, some of the best ever recorded, but also these two albums are Classics)
Boomerang - Weaveworld (Massive Power Metal with unique double vocals and killer riffs / changes, give this CD a try guys!!!!!)
Sacred Steel - Bloodlust (their best, hands down, no comments needed!!!)
Stormwarrior - s/t (total "Walls of Jericho" worship, but excellent album imo)
Manilla Road - ATlantis Rising (genius album, once "Megalodon" ends, the album becomes an Epic of Manilla 80's standards)
Candlemass - King of the grey Islands
Pagan Altar - the Lords of Hypocrisy (their best album)
Lonewolf - March into the Arena (Power / Speed Metal in the Running Wild vein, great CD)
Jacobs Dream - II (Metal Blade CD) (US Power Metal with high=pitched vocals, powerful production and exceptional guitars)
Hellish War - Defender of Metal (Running Wild are dead, long live Hellish War. Furious Power Metal, unstoppable headbanging, and to think that this is a 70+ min CD....Never bored a single second. Very angry for not seeing them in Swordbrothers 2009)
Marauder - 1821 (Another Greek CD, Accept-like Power Metal with lots of Epic elements)
Wotan - Carmina Barbarica (What to say???? AN absolute highlight for Epic Metal, one of the best albums for the genre EVER!)
Malediction - both (i will admit that i havent given the 2nd album the spins i would like / it deserves, but this band slays, i am very happy to have seen them live, another great loss of ths 00's)
Adramelch - Broken History (SHEER brilliance here, this CD is better than "Irae Melanox" imo)
Airged L'Amh - The Silver Arm (another underrated CD, lots of big POwer Metal bands would love to have songs off this album in their repertoire)
Overlorde - Return of the Snow Giant (people are giving $$$ for the EP-great btw- while this US Power Metal monster is NOT sold out yet, this is how Metal works i guess...)
Brocas Helm - Defender of the Crown (another un-commented CD)
New Eden - Stangant Progression (very technical Progressive / Power Metal that may not "click" at once, but once it does...)
Silver Fist - Ave Fenix (ex-Muro singer, great Power Metal sung in Spanish. those that saw them in either KIT or UTH - or in Spain more often, lucky ones- know)
Metal Inquisitor - both (What a band!! They have songs that bear similarities to old ones, i will admit, but the "play-headbang-repeat" sequence is so addictive with this band)

and........

Warlord - Rising out of the Ashes (the biggest Metal crime of the last xx years. this album is FLAWLESS, i was really disapointed to see the Legend that is Bill Tsamis return with such a Masterpiece and the fans condemn this album only because Cans sung in it. Or the fact that they had 4 LG songs re-recorded????? Insane for me!!!!!!!)
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

Kostas_Kailiazis wrote:some of the first releases that come to mind (and with thanks to some previous posts that reminded them to me)

Raging Storm - s/t (Brilliant, maybe better than Crush for me, my fave Greek release)
BattleroaR - To Death and Beyond (this album is incredible)
Thunder Rider - Tales of Darkness & Light Chapter II (very underrated, i have the impression that it passed almost unnoticed..or not?)
Zandelle - Vengeance Rising (The perfect mix of European & US Metal, i will agree that has its happy moments, but the giutars/melodies and vocals are out of this earth)
Doomsword - Resound the Horn & My name will live on (IMO, the best will forever be the debut, 100% FLAWLESS Epic Metal, some of the best ever recorded, but also these two albums are Classics)
Boomerang - Weaveworld (Massive Power Metal with unique double vocals and killer riffs / changes, give this CD a try guys!!!!!)
Sacred Steel - Bloodlust (their best, hands down, no comments needed!!!)
Stormwarrior - s/t (total "Walls of Jericho" worship, but excellent album imo)
Manilla Road - ATlantis Rising (genius album, once "Megalodon" ends, the album becomes an Epic of Manilla 80's standards)
Candlemass - King of the grey Islands
Pagan Altar - the Lords of Hypocrisy (their best album)
Lonewolf - March into the Arena (Power / Speed Metal in the Running Wild vein, great CD)
Jacobs Dream - II (Metal Blade CD) (US Power Metal with high=pitched vocals, powerful production and exceptional guitars)
Hellish War - Defender of Metal (Running Wild are dead, long live Hellish War. Furious Power Metal, unstoppable headbanging, and to think that this is a 70+ min CD....Never bored a single second. Very angry for not seeing them in Swordbrothers 2009)
Marauder - 1821 (Another Greek CD, Accept-like Power Metal with lots of Epic elements)
Wotan - Carmina Barbarica (What to say???? AN absolute highlight for Epic Metal, one of the best albums for the genre EVER!)
Malediction - both (i will admit that i havent given the 2nd album the spins i would like / it deserves, but this band slays, i am very happy to have seen them live, another great loss of ths 00's)
Adramelch - Broken History (SHEER brilliance here, this CD is better than "Irae Melanox" imo)
Airged L'Amh - The Silver Arm (another underrated CD, lots of big POwer Metal bands would love to have songs off this album in their repertoire)
Overlorde - Return of the Snow Giant (people are giving $$$ for the EP-great btw- while this US Power Metal monster is NOT sold out yet, this is how Metal works i guess...)
Brocas Helm - Defender of the Crown (another un-commented CD)
New Eden - Stangant Progression (very technical Progressive / Power Metal that may not "click" at once, but once it does...)
Silver Fist - Ave Fenix (ex-Muro singer, great Power Metal sung in Spanish. those that saw them in either KIT or UTH - or in Spain more often, lucky ones- know)
Metal Inquisitor - both (What a band!! They have songs that bear similarities to old ones, i will admit, but the "play-headbang-repeat" sequence is so addictive with this band)

and........

Warlord - Rising out of the Ashes (the biggest Metal crime of the last xx years. this album is FLAWLESS, i was really disapointed to see the Legend that is Bill Tsamis return with such a Masterpiece and the fans condemn this album only because Cans sung in it. Or the fact that they had 4 LG songs re-recorded????? Insane for me!!!!!!!)
Is this a sales list???Looks like one,but you should have included one of the best Euro releases of the decade,Dreamweaver's EP,among others of course
Never trust the Goblin King....
St. Erben

Post by St. Erben »

NIFELHEIM "Servants of Darkness"
REPUGNANT "Epitome of Darkness"
WARNING "Watching from a Distance"
GUNS N' ROSES "Chinese Democracy"
MOTÖRHEAD "Inferno"
SORHIN "Apokalypsens Ängel"
FUNERAL MIST "Salvation"
SIGH "Imaginary Sonicscape"
VIRUS "Carheart"
ROOT "Black Seal"
KATHARSIS "World without End"
DEATHSPELL OMEGA "Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice"
AC/DC "Black Ice"
PAGAN ALTAR "Lords of Hypocrisy"
IRON MAIDEN "Brave new world"
EXCITER "Blood of Tyrants"
PAGAN RITES "Bloodlust and Devastation"
HELVETETS PORT "Exodus to Hell"
ARCHGOAT "Whore of Bethlehem"
PORTRAIT "s/t"
Last edited by St. Erben on Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nathaniel

Post by Nathaniel »

Hahaha! Great choice, and you did not forget to include PORTRAIT! hahaha! Well done!