Manilla Road

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...

What is your favourite Manilla Road release?

Invasion
1%
Metal
2%
Crystal Logic
54%
Open The Gates
17%
The Deluge
7%
Mystification
11%
Out Of The Abyss
2%
The Courts Of Chaos
1%
The Circus Maximus
No votes
Atlantis Rising
1%
Spiral Castle
1%
Mark Of The Beast
2%
Gates Of Fire
No votes

Total votes: 84

mordred

Post by mordred »

nightsblood wrote:Granted, people may like some of the later albums but just not rank them as their favorite MR album. Still, for a band as revered as this one, I'd expect to see a more even distribution of votes.
I wouldn't. If there would be an Iron Maiden poll I bet no album post Seventh Son of a Seventh Son would get a single vote. If there would be a Black Sabbath poll I doubt if any album after Heaven and Hell (a 29 year old album!) would get a vote. If we had a Candlemass poll I'm pretty sure Epicus and Nightfall together would collect all the votes. It's the same with almost all bands. In fact I don't know if I could think of a possible exception.

I myself voted for Open the Gates and I would have Crystal Logic second. I would have Gates of Fire in third, so there's a newer album right there in third place, and I would consider at least three or four more albums absolutely essential. In my opinion there is no such thing as a sub par Manilla Road album. The only ones I consider to be less than great are Invasion and The Courts of Chaos. Only one album can be the best, but that's not saying I don't love most of their albums.
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

You're right, Mordred. I've checked the Maiden poll, there's no vote for an album post-7th Son : http://www.thecorroseum.com/phpbb2/view ... light=poll
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

nightsblood wrote:these are the only 2 essential MR albums IMO. I hate to rag on the band, but I think MR is overrated; they get a ton of respect for having a few good releases, and most fans completely overlook the large amount of filler material in their catalog. Yes, CL and OtG are two all-time classics, but overall their discography isn't very impressive IMO (and to be fair, I haven't heard some of the more recent albums, simply becuase I got tired of hearing sub-par MR albums).
I find it annoying that people who don't like some albums by "band x" assume that the other people are just pretending to like them. I get it. You like only CL and OtG. Well IMO both Deluge and Metal destroys Open the Gates which is a fucking brilliant album none the less! And I'm not ignoring the fillers because there isn't any. I like every fucking song on Metal and Deluge. So Metal, Crystal Logic, Open The Gates and Deluge makes four nearly flawless albums and I like Mystification too. Haven't got into it as much as the earlier ones but I can hear the potential in it. I just haven't "got it". Now there ain't many HM bands with more than 4 or 5 VERY GOOD albums (in fact most have just one or two) and Crystal Logic alone is better than most Heavy Metal albums recorded. All I can say is that they have earned my respect.
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

Venom also gets tons of respect for having a few good releases (personally I don't really need the post-AWwS albums). Those fucking posers!
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
Kostello

Post by Kostello »

Well, i agree with Morderd and Dodens Grav, there are some albums that are definitely "up there" (the Candlemass example is great), compared to a bands full discography.

As for Manilla Road, let's see their discography a little bit.

If we exclude "Invasion" & "Metal" (i love them, i just want to make a point here) we move to "Crystal Logic", a 100% METAL album, a pioneer of its kind.

From 1983 (Crystal Logic) to 1990 (Courts of Chaos) you have 6 studio albums that are excellent/essential/or whatever you want to name them (some more, some less). Lets all think of more than 10 Metal bands that have such an impressive record (and in the row).

THIS IS the signature of a great discography.

I will agree that MR has "lost" some of its magic, which is weird for me, since the comeback LP, Atlantis Rising was outstanding (if you exclude the first track), with "Gates of Fire" being very close to their early days, but the awful production and somewhat boring songwriting dont help that much.

and lets not forget the poll's name:
"Your FAVORITE MR album". The fact that lets say, ALL vote for "Metal" for example, means that they dont like their other LP's? All seem to find it difficult, and lets not forget that OtG and CL for various reasons were the first contact we had with the band.
jared

Post by jared »

i voted for crystal logic, but in reality it's a tie between crystal logic and mystification.

check my sig for a cover of necropolis. it's okay.
'pataphysicien

Post by 'pataphysicien »

you need to take the last / out of the link. the cover was more like mkay imo.
surfacer wrote:Do you know ?

because of stupid like you. Died My old friend Jon Nödtveidt.
jared

Post by jared »

'pataphysicien wrote:you need to take the last / out of the link. the cover was more like mkay imo.
thanks for the heads up on the url

as far the cover, the shark liked it, that's all i'm concerned with. there's far worse (and far better) on the "riddle masters" tribute
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

I tried to vote, but I got mystified and lost track.
'pataphysicien

Post by 'pataphysicien »

well I hope you didn't get lost in Necropolis!!!!11one

(apparently there is a law to the effect that this joke has to be made in every single Manilla Road thread)

also I'll be boring to and say 'Crystal Logic' and less boring by ranking 'Mark of the Beast' second. they mark two poles I find myself gravitating to: the doomy arcane and the progressive epic.
surfacer wrote:Do you know ?

because of stupid like you. Died My old friend Jon Nödtveidt.
EzraCobb

turn on the resonator - start the experiment

Post by EzraCobb »

Can't believe I am the first vote for courts of chaos -- This album had a very original sound - Randy did a great job with the keyboards and drummimg... No other MR album sounds like "Courts"
kreator72

Post by kreator72 »

Make me wonder why I'm the only one who voted for Invasion...I like Crystal Logic just as much though.
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

Invasion is nice thing to listen every once in a while and gives you a good idea where the band came from but when compared to Metal, CL, OtG or Deluge. Damn! How can you vote it? :P
kreator72

Post by kreator72 »

I just love it for being haunting,spacey,psychedelic & unorthodox.
Eon

Post by Eon »

One of my favourite bands.
I will rank their discography, from 1 to 6 points.

1. Mystification (6)
2. The Deluge (5+)
3. Crystal Logic (5+)
4. Open The Gates (5-)
5. Out of The Abyss (5-)
6. Spiral Castle (4+)
7. Metal (4+)
8. Invasion (4+)
9. Gates of Fire (4)
10. Mark of the Beast (4)
11. The Circus Maximus (4-)
12. Voyager (3+)