Heavy Metal Huntingrounds?

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

The internet is also good to make contact with a lot of people over the world to trade with, buy or sell whatever you want or search. Everybody whose interest lies in good old heavy metal can come together on forums like this. And there's indeed al lot of information hidden on forums and websites concerning this subject. I don't know if I ever would come across something like Lord Ryur, Jonas Grumby, Auroch or the likes without the internet. There're ofcourse some good books but nothing beats the shit out of internet.

On the other hand, it's indeed frustrating when everybody use the internet to know if something's rare. For example: In the weekend I was at a local fair going through some LP boxes. The things you usually find is everything by Steamhammer, Metal blade and the likes. Then I encounter Cyclone's Inferior to none LP which I still use as an original; I take a look at the price sticker and yes: 75 fucking euro's. The guy selling it doesn't know shit about heavy metal but after an evening "popsike-ing" or whatever on the internet he must have known that this is a precious item...I don't blame him ofcourse, but the days finding things for nothing ARE OVER!!!
Long Live The Loud !!!
roihlem

Post by roihlem »

In Croatia it is also a desaster. There are nearly no collectors and therefore no vinyl shops. Last year I was lucky to find a 2nd hand shop, which offered stuff like the first Brocas Helm, Rankelson, Tormentor (Bel), Znowhite, etc. for about 1,3€. But they will never get new 2nd hand vinyls again, I guess...
I guess the best is to get vinyls from old (ex) Metalheads. A friend of mine got the Dr Steel LP for 2€ last year...

About CDs, it is also a very bad situation...new CDs cost like 18€!!!
khiijol

Post by khiijol »

here its hit and miss. in new jersey, you have a lot of hole in the wall "junk" store places, who sell, well, anything, ranging from broken tvs, to a collection of hundreds of records whom they've bought as a collection. i was in one of these stores last weekend... none of the lps were priced, and the guy behind the counter was pricing them as i brought them up by a record collectors guide. the selection had already been picked through pretty heavily, but i did manage to find the first raven lp and highway chile's "storybook heroes" for $2 a piece. not exactly mindblowing scores, but around here you'll find little stuff like that here and there bouncing from shop to shop every couple of months or so. occasionally something really tasty will turn up, as often these shop owners have no idea about the value of their stock, and a lot of people that pick through those kinds of stores are the hipster/indie rock kids who seem more concerned about buying an "ironic" album like some retarded new wave 80s stuff
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

Here in Oregon finding metal lps is virtually impossible in a shop. Yesterday we had a record show here in town, the 3rd time I attended and I finally bought 1 lp for my collection after these 3 shows, very pathetic, and that is just an upgraded copy of RAY GUNN. It was utterly horrible for anything good to buy. Not even any psych/hardrock or metal cds either to look at. I did meet a guy with some very expensive original heavy psych lps like ELLISON ($700) and TEAR GAS($250), etc. these were cool to hold in my hand but of course I did not buy them.
Metalipeiklo

Post by Metalipeiklo »

The Sentinel wrote: On the other hand, it's indeed frustrating when everybody use the internet to know if something's rare. (...) The guy selling it doesn't know shit about heavy metal but after an evening "popsike-ing" or whatever on the internet he must have known that this is a precious item...I don't blame him ofcourse, but the days finding things for nothing ARE OVER!!!
Agree. I think the problem are these people living off selling rare records, meaning each album is overpriced. Korrozia Metalla "Russian Vodka" 40 EUR, Heavy Load "Full Speed..." for 150 EUR in a nearby shop where I live. Still there are people I know that still sell these fuckin' rarities for very decent prices, not caring about how much they COULD get on an internet auction. I think it should be criminal to live off selling rare records. Get a job for hell's sake... :twisted:
Fun records
Rock Beast

Post by Rock Beast »

My town is quite good, even though it sucks when it comes to anything else. But I have found some really goos stuff. For an exaple the Reencarnacion- 888 metal LP for about 30 £, Crystal pride- silverhawk for about 6 £ and a lot of stuff with everything from Dorsa Atlantica to Heavy Load.
Nicko McBuff

Post by Nicko McBuff »

This town tends to suck for anything that isn't thrash! or wasn't on a major metal label of the '80s.
convent guilt wrote:A couple of you blokes touched on it already, but since the internet and in particular ebay started up there has been a severe decline in the amount of collectable vinyl to be found at your local record store/fair. Not only that, but shop owners/dealers can now find out at the press of a button how much their booty is really worth. Gone are the days of finding obscure gems for the same price as a Bon Jovi record, unless you're extremely lucky.

There's a fair in Sydney every few months that occassionally delivers the goods, but it's pretty hit and miss. And the quality of record stores has gone steeply downhill, whilst the prices have gone steeply uphill. Same for most of Australia really. Melbourne's probably the best of a bad bunch.

I guess the one saving grace is that Aussie LPs which go for a sultan's ransom overseas, can still be found for 5 or 10 bucks around here.
All add to that... Its true, its a saving grace that local albums like your Bengal Tigers, Hobbs Angel Of Death and Taramis etc can be found cheap and thats great. Though items like SAS, Bezerker, Renegade, Black Jack, the Taipan 7" etc you rarely see... outside of ebay that is. Recently I've observed something annoying: that some australian ebay sellers are listing these records regularly and selling them for ridiculously high prices. One could assume that they're buying them up around town for profit. Its a damn shame for local folk who like to own and hear them!
msp

Post by msp »

well the place I live (Chelmsford UK) has no decent record shops. The people in charge of the shops would have you believe that everyone is into 50 Cent, Snoop Dog. That kind of shit. If they have any metal it is all new stuff like Kerrang features.

We have a record fare once a month and it can ocasionally be good. There was one time when one dealer was knocking off loads of old thrash LP's for £2 a pop so I was able to pick up stuff by Mortal Sin, Deathrow etc. Sadly, I have never seen him there again.

Even London is not much better with 2nd hand shops having a very poor selection. It seems like every shop is selling the same stuff second hand: Thin Lizzy, Motorhead, Onslaught, Demon, Priest etc.

There is one half decent shop in Berwick Street (Sister Rays) and it is possible to get new metal vinyl there.

It seems that eBay and other internet sites are where it is at now (for me at least)
DMR

Post by DMR »

The record stores in Chicago I've been to don't seem to have much in the way of metal LPs. Only major label bands like Rainbow, Judas Priest, Scorpions, etc.

I don't think I'll ever be able to get into collecting obscure vinyl, due to the expense.
lunaboy

Post by lunaboy »

Well.Situation in Lithuania is really bad with vinyl.Here's just one used record store(sell mainly jazz,classic rock),but I were fucking lucky bastard,when I found there BREAKER-"In Days Of Heavy Metal" EP(paid for it ~ 7Euros). Heres the link to this store http://www.thelonious.lt/ (See IRASAI section).Sometimes you can find KATEDRA or VOLIS also old Russian bands LPs there).Also sometimes I goin to Poland(jus 350 km to Warsaw from my town).There's sometimes you can find more interesing stuff.Usually almost every time I visit http://www.heyjoe.iq.pl/ shop.
Astaroth

Post by Astaroth »

I went out of my way hunting for old secondhand bookstores, record shops, music stores that sold secondhand records basically any store that would most likely have something. Either they have shut down, sell the same old stuff or have nothing at all.

The prices would vary from under $10.00 or have crazy eBay prices + $20.00 on top of the initial price slapped on them.

Record fairs are a joke, you'll find one OK item if you're lucky.

I think the best ever "find" would be a Mournful Congregation demo tape for $1.00, Kreator Endless Pain signed LP for $30.00 and Sodom In the Sign of Evil MLP for $8.00 many years ago.
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

msp wrote:Even London is not much better with 2nd hand shops having a very poor selection. It seems like every shop is selling the same stuff second hand: Thin Lizzy, Motorhead, Onslaught, Demon, Priest etc.

There is one half decent shop in Berwick Street (Sister Rays) and it is possible to get new metal vinyl there.
London is CRAP for record stores in general!
I had 3 days to kill there last year & didn't buy one thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There's a chain of 2nd hand stores called Vinyl Exchange (I think) & everything was either way too over-priced and/or in bad condition!
Nothing in Camden either, only cheap Venom bootleg shirts...
Very disappointing stay!
BloodOfChrist

Post by BloodOfChrist »

There is one used record store a few towns away from me, and a few record shows that have next to no Metal at all. The best stuff I can find off of the internet is stuf like Hawaii, Pretty Maids, Raven, etc....good stuff, but nothing I couldnt get through the internet.

Does anyone here know of any good record stores on Long Island, or in New York City, that would be worth going to? I read on here that someone got a copy of Ion Britton at a used record store in the city for $1, Id like to check out that place if theyre still around! :D
great_knuthulhu

Post by great_knuthulhu »

Korgüll wrote:
msp wrote:Even London is not much better with 2nd hand shops having a very poor selection. It seems like every shop is selling the same stuff second hand: Thin Lizzy, Motorhead, Onslaught, Demon, Priest etc.

London is CRAP for record stores in general!
I had 3 days to kill there last year & didn't buy one thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There's a chain of 2nd hand stores called Vinyl Exchange (I think) & everything was either way too over-priced and/or in bad condition!
Nothing in Camden either, only cheap Venom bootleg shirts...
Very disappointing stay!
hehe, you should ask Dan what he found in London on friday...
I know I ain't doing much,
doing nothing means a lot to me.
BestialLust

Post by BestialLust »

Camden is not really the place to find good records, as it's the first point of the record-hunting tour for Londoners and tourists. Something can always be found in the Music and Video Exchange branch in Notting Hill, and you can find some real gems from time to time in local recordstores in suburban areas of London. Although, the growth of broadband and eBay unfortunately means - as I'm sure this is the case elsewhere - it is becoming more difficult to find records in shops, aside from 'second-hand store classics'.