BAY AREA THRASH

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Rob

Post by Rob »

Testament surely weren't gods in any era, though their two first lps were cool, Legacy was far better.

Vio-Lence was pretty cool.
6is9
Down there...

Post by Down there... »

Witchkiller wrote:There's no Death Angel after their 3 lps :D
I never liked anything after The Ultra Violence. That record is probably the thrashiest (eh?) record I ever heard. After that I don't know what they were thinking...
oldskoolcollector

Post by oldskoolcollector »

In my opinion the best music came from the Bay Area. Bands like Heathen, Metallica, Forbidden, Laaz Rockit (Annihilation Principle/Know your enemy), Defiance, Exodus, Vio-lence are great bands!
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

As I've stated before, Bay Area Thrash ain't my thing. Exodus blew me away with Bonded By Blood and got me into thrash so they're the most important for me from the scene but I'm not soooo fancy about Metallica though I like the first two albums and Master Of Puppets is ok. Heathen and Ulysses Siren are also great. Forbidden I never could get into - they just sound boring to me and same goes for many Bay bands

IMO Kreator alone blows most of the Bay Area Thrash into oblivion. :D
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
humus

Post by humus »

I'm not a big fan of the bay area either. There are a few albums which I consider classics (Bonded by blood/Kill 'em all/maybe Eternal nightmare) but in general I prefer other 'subgenres' of thrash.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

I generally have a much harder time listening to Bay Area thrash than for example to post '96 blakk metal.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

good albums came out from the scene for sure!

my fave teenage(15-18) albums:

1.Vio-Lence-Eternal Nightmare (IT IS ORIGINAL!,its actually pretty intense,maybe the most intense one for me)

2.Testament-The Legacy(the only album i enjoy from track 1 to the last one, the rest of their stuff is just whatever to me, cant stand a complete album)

3.Exodus-Bonded by Blood(almost perfect album, same thing with Testament,i can care less for their later releases)

all times underground faves Ulysses Syren by far,could have had a killer album out,dont know why this didnt happen....

Death Angel hmmm i wanna be respectful for the fans,i mean i have the first album,good one,but then they wentt straight to the "maturity" toilet...

i feel that the best albums from this scene were released when these guys were actually young,their debut albums all marked the intensity n originality of that time, but the problem is that all those things were gone after their debuts....not bad,just like whatever, they should have never grown up haha
:lol: :lol:
Vinny Black

Post by Vinny Black »

Many great debut albums come from that scene, but then...I dunnoh.
"My music is not modern, it is merely badly played." Arnold Schönberg 1874-1951
Lama

Post by Lama »

I don't have any problems with Bay Area thrash. Some bands and/or albums I like more than others, but it's a fact that a lot of great music was released from bands out of that particular area.

I think most people have problems with he fact that a lot of those bands got soooo much attention from the worldwide mainstream metal press, only because they were from the Bay Area. Sometimes it seemed that there was no other thrash than Bay Area thrash. The word 'commercial' also comes to mind, and that's never a good thing in true metal realms. It's appealing to mock bands that get to much exposure... I think most people who hate Bay Area thrash would be the biggest fans of it if the bands would have remained underground...

Another thing : how many pure, raw, aggressive thrash albums were created by the Bay Area-bands? First Testament, first Death Angel, Vio-Lence, first Exodus... Later on they all began to show influences of US power metal (technicality, melody...), heavy metal, progressive rock etc. Which is not necessarily a bad thing in my opinion, but pure thrash it wasn't.

The whole movement was pretty trendy also. Sooooo many Bay Area bands (or musicians) began to write and/or release pure crap once the whole thrash-trend was over. Or started sporting the nu metal-look. See Forbidden, see Manmade God (with Locicero from Forbidden), Torque, Technocracy, Machine Head, Exodus nowadays... Most people would like to add Testament to this list, but apart from the totally boring "Demonic" and the pretty lacklustre "Souls Of Black" I like pretty much everything they've done... ("The Ritual" was the first thing I heard by them back in the days I started listening to metal, and I still totally love that album!)

Again, it's an album-by-album, or sometimes song-by-song thing. I like all stuff of Death Angel, but not all of "Frolic...", I like Exodus, but only "Bonded..." and some stuff of the two albums that followed, I like Lääz Rockit, but not "No Stranger To Danger" and the latest album, I like Vio-Lence, but not "Nothing To Gain", the first Defiance, pretty much everything of Heathen, Possessed, the first two Forbidden-LP's, first five Metallica-LP's (and the double cover-album), unsung heroes Ullyses Siren...

I think my absolute favourites are :

Forbidden - "Twisted Into Form"
Exodus - "Bonded By Blood"
Testament - "The New Order", "The Legacy" and "The Ritual"
Metallica - "Ride The Lightning"
Heathen - "Victims Of Deception"
Kampel Destruction
Mitch

Bay Area Thrash

Post by Mitch »

I'm an old-school fan and the Bay Area scene was a big part of the picture when I first got into metal. Even if its not your cup of tea a metal fan should respect what has evolved from the Bay area in the mid-80's.
These are some of my fav's:

Slayer - Show No Mercy (they were still Bay Area in 1983)
Exodus - BBB
Metallica - KEA
Possessed - 7 Churches
Testament - Legacy
big mouth

Post by big mouth »

Slayer - Show No Mercy (they were still Bay Area in 1983)
Oh no....first Bay area attack were 3 dates, one in support of EXODUS so SLAYER had never anything to do with Bay Area Thrash...
rooster

Post by rooster »

I've noticed that David White (on Evolution Of Chaos photo) has Laughing Dead T shirt. Also in Opressing The Masses booklet, Phil Demmel ( if i remember correctly) also has t shirt of that band. Such strong support (Yeah, i know that LD was David's group, but they split a long time ago so that photo in the booklet is strange) is quite interesting, especially when we realize that Laughing Dead put out only 2 demos. I wonder if LD was really so popular in the Bay Area underground? Anybody know why they split up? Any opinions about their demos? Anyone heard their second demo (from 1991)?
big mouth

Post by big mouth »

Any opinions about their demos? Anyone heard their second demo (from 1991)?
Boring..just like KAOS, MILITIA, EPIDEMIC, P. THREAT etc etc.... they helped killing the Bay Area scene in the end.
rooster

Post by rooster »

hmm, i've always heard positive opinions about LD :)
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

big mouth wrote:Boring..just like KAOS, MILITIA, EPIDEMIC, P. THREAT etc etc.... they helped killing the Bay Area scene in the end.
Epidemic were very generic and boring, that is true, but to add Militia in the same lot is not fair. They were great, albeit not your typical Bay Area thrash, but more akin to power/speed progressively influenced outfits like Lethal, early Mystic-Force, first Mystik, Last Descendants, Realm, etc.

The scene died of the same "natural" causes which killed metal elsewhere (aka grunge invasion and industry lack of interest) and had nothing to do with Militia or Laughing Dead. Early LD demos with David Godfrey on vocals were great thrash worth a severe headbanging whiplash any day of the week.