Why weren't Saxon bigger?

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Tomasteel

Post by Tomasteel »

I think that Saxon has a "mature image" and their music is more Rock that Heavy Metal for some people, maybe that´s why they don´t have much more fans like Iron Maiden or any other bigger bands.

As Dan said, probably Manowar or Metallica sounded more exciting, i´ve heard stupid people calling Saxon "old guys trying to make metal", i know that´s pretty stupid, but its the opinion of a lot os stupids hehe.

Denim And Leather!!! i love them, maybe they are coming to Mexico!!! yeah!!! :twisted:
Tomasteel

Post by Tomasteel »

What the hell with my multiply responses?? sorry for that, the Internet wasn´t good, but now is working. :oops:
Sgt. Kuntz

Post by Sgt. Kuntz »

Drumdestroyer Roitman wrote:I think that Saxon has a "mature image" and their music is more Rock that Heavy Metal for some people, maybe that´s why they don´t have much more fans like Iron Maiden or any other bigger bands.

As Dan said, probably Manowar or Metallica sounded more exciting, i´ve heard stupid people calling Saxon "old guys trying to make metal", i know that´s pretty stupid, but its the opinion of a lot os stupids hehe.

Denim And Leather!!! i love them, maybe they are coming to Mexico!!! yeah!!! :twisted:
Very true. For some, SAXON were not spectacular enough, or to old school if you like. And they didn't have any particular image like MANOWAR or SLAYER.
Where were you in '79 when the dam began to burst

http://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/ptrz80
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

rictusgrin666 wrote:Very ugly band. :D
Exactly the reason why..
Why are a wise man & a wise guy opposites?
Nicko McBuff

Post by Nicko McBuff »

I like Lionheart and Killing Ground, anyone else?!
nabel

Post by nabel »

ION BRITTON wrote:As far as i am concerned they never released anything really mindblowing, only some cool tunes here and there. I also don't like Biff's voice much, not very close to the vocal style i like most.
I think vocals of Biff are one reason, I don't think I have read many Saxon reviews where his voice is not mentioned.
Anyway, they were probably too late trying to conquer US market. Thrash and all that like Dan said was the thing for the kids.
And how much their label in the end pushed them? Maybe "Saxon - Never Surrender (Or Nearly Good Looking): An Autobiography" would tell something but I haven't read it. Has anyone?
rictusgrin666

Post by rictusgrin666 »

Last Saxon album I bought.... Back on the Streets club mix 12" :lol:

hmmm, that could be another thread... how many other dreadful albums are there like that. i've heard ace of spades too.
You want it to be one way. But it's the other way.
Helm

Post by Helm »

I think it's that Saxon never strived to be exceptional themselves, even. They were content writing some - sometimes killer - material but they didn't seem interested in infusing it with Heavy Metal Extremity. The poster that likened to AC/DC had a point in that sense. Saxon are a useful study in how it might sound like Heavy Metal, it might come from a Heavy Metal background, but it might not affect the listener like Heavy Metal does in the end.

Of course there is an audience for more rockish metal and Saxon for a period are well liked there. I think the kiss of death was that stream of mediocre to bad albums they put out.
GJ

Post by GJ »

On the other hand replace some words and voilá! An epic masterpiece. (Ahem!)

Where were you in ancient times when the walls began to crack?
Did you fight with us on the battle fields?
Were you wearing leather, wielding swords?
Did you run up to the front?
Did you fight your way through the blood and snow?

Axes and Leather
Brought us all together
Our sweat and blood shall set our spirits free
Axes and Leather
Brought us all together
Our sweat and blood shall set our spirits free

Did you study marshall arts from the dawning until dusk?
Did you find out how to serve your noble King?
Did you listen to the bards sing praise to those who fall?
Did you fondle with the mistresses in the night?

Axes and Leather…

Do you dream of swinging axes and fighting all that is untrue?
Well then step forth and learn the golden rules
When you have grasped you inner spirit, then the power shall be yours
Then on bloody fields we wait at your command

Axes and Leather…

It was you - that set the spirit free
It was you - that put us here today
It was you - that spilled the crimson brew
It was you - that set the spirit free

Axes and Leather…

:oops:
DTP

Post by DTP »

as much as i love SAXON, somebody else nailed it; very basic songs w/ no gimmicks will usually result in a smaller yet devoted cult.

i think SAXON's other problem is similar to ANVIL's: too many damn songs and product, resulting in quantity over quality. that said, i'll always worship their first five \m/
formally 'Hellpreacher'
The Knell

Post by The Knell »

the s/t was one of the first albums I listened and the opener is still able to bring me to tears , I love this band
now is the madness in hell
we're eat babies flesh
and suck the mothers blood next
we're perverse devils well
Vinny Black

Post by Vinny Black »

"Why weren't Saxon bigger?"

Because the Stormtroopers Of Death said so.
"My music is not modern, it is merely badly played." Arnold Schönberg 1874-1951
pzman

Post by pzman »

If we are pondering why saxon weren't bigger, then the same could be asked of dozens of other bands.
Its unfortunate but I guess in any kind of scene, there will always be breakthrough bands and bands that fall off the radar (and its left to guys like us to appreciate them.)
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

I love this band too. Don't know how many times I saw them live already; every live show absolutely rules. Hearing a song like "princess Of The Night" brings tears to my eyes. This band can't do no harm and every major festival is saved from disaster when Saxon is on the schedule.
Long Live The Loud !!!
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

DTP wrote:as much as i love SAXON, somebody else nailed it; very basic songs w/ no gimmicks will usually result in a smaller yet devoted cult.

i think SAXON's other problem is similar to ANVIL's: too many damn songs and product, resulting in quantity over quality. that said, i'll always worship their first five \m/
agreed here too, apart from the first two albums, i cant stand listening a complete Saxon album,lots of fillers, but yes i accept they have great metal hymns, but no complete abums filled with them :(

great live band though!