Your Favorite Band

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Professor Black

Your Favorite Band

Post by Professor Black »

So, is having a Favorite Band totally outdated at this point? Is it juvenile to begin with? Do you wince at the mere hypothesis of metallic monogamy?

Or is there one band that you would choose above all others? Whose worst albums you would still rate more highly than an average album from a competitor? Whose recordings occupy an entire hallowed shelf of your collection? Whose rarities you pursue with singular intensity and spending power?

Do you ever wish your favorite band was, say, Charger and not Motorhead?
Destrozer

Post by Destrozer »

Ten years ago my fave band was Sarcofago. Now I don't know anymore... Maybe Kino? But they are not Metal. Too hard a question.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Difficult to answer. 13 years ago it was IRON MAIDEN, 3 years later it was JUDAS PRIEST, then RUNNING WILD... It depends on the period... I could more easily name the 10 bands i have mostly listened to since i got involved with music rather than choose only one, absolute favourite, that wouldn't do justice to many bands that i hold really close to my heart. Just for the record, my two absolute favourites the last 4 years are TYRANT (US) and AMEBIX.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Piotr Sargnagel

Post by Piotr Sargnagel »

I would have to look at my collection. I'm absolutely not obsessive and not a completist so I'm actually not really a collector but I'd have to say that it needs to be a band that has the most to offer musically and also visually. I think I would have to go for Iron Maiden but then again, there are many bands that do it for me like Exciter or Manowar...

Hard question!
Shiremen

Post by Shiremen »

Britney Spears
GJ

Post by GJ »

Shiremen wrote:Britney Spears
You know you cannot chose her coz she's no band you know! I woulda pick my nose!
The Knell

Post by The Knell »

ZZ Top
now is the madness in hell
we're eat babies flesh
and suck the mothers blood next
we're perverse devils well
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

Black Sabbath
The Knell

Post by The Knell »

Black Axe wrote:Black Sabbath
good call but Ive been grown up with ZZ Top
now is the madness in hell
we're eat babies flesh
and suck the mothers blood next
we're perverse devils well
perishinflames

Post by perishinflames »

Thrash Queen! :lol:

Probably Stone, maybe Kreator, I dunno. Hard to pick just 1 favorite.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Funny how that question felt so difficult... As a kid it was easy! "TWISTED SISTER!", later "ACCEPT!", then "METALLICA!" etc..

If I had to chose 1 Metal band today that I find flawless and which represent and has influenced my taste in Metal Music more than any other it would have to be old MERCYFUL FATE, but it's not at all the kind of worship that Prof. Black described.

I wouldn't call the idea of a Favourite Band "outdated" or "juvenile", but for me it's just the cynicism that comes w/ age and knowing that no matter how amazing a band may seem at one moment, they might turn sour the next. It's also harder to compare bands today and make favelists coz you've just heard too much of it.

Not to mention all the one-off album/demo/single/compilation-appearane acts that totally DESTROYS you for about 5-40 minutes, but could never be compared to for instance JUDAS PRIEST and their dozen+ meaty masterpieces in any fair manner.

(Non-Metal is more simple: * C A R D I A C S * )
DMR

Post by DMR »

GAMMA RAY! After nine albums and 19 years, they're still as good as they've ever been. They're the one band I don't think will ever let me down. I don't go after all their rarities, though. Most of their rare tracks were on the box set that came out a few years back, and I'm not the type to hunt down a rare Japanese release just for one song.
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Nah, it's a fair question for fans of anything, not just metal.

Mine has always been Kai-era Helloween; they did no wrong with him in the band. Keepers 1 will always be my favorite album, and Keepers 2 and Walls of Jericho aren't far behind.

If I'm not allowed to disregard post-Kai Helloween and have to take the band's entire catalog into consideration, then I choose Blind Guardian. IMO they have one of the most amazingly consistent and awesome catalogs for any long-running band.

Runners-up:
Riot- hard to find a bad album anywhere in their 30 year history regardless of the lineup involved.

Running Wild- also consistently great, although the post-Noise years are a big step down from their former glories.

Misfits- Even most of the post-Danzig material was killer. The Earth AD era is their only so-so moment

Savatage- they had a great run, and I like most of their catalog. Chris Oliva is one of my personal true guitar heroes alongside Reale and Hansen.

Pentagram (US)- I own more Pentagram material than any other band. In the Dedications section of my doctorate dissertation, the last line reads "And of course, Blue Cheer". The editor didn't catch it :)

Armoured Angel- their catalog is more limited, but I always thought they were killer. Just about the only band that I would consider being a completist collector of.
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
DTP

Post by DTP »

there's no fookin way i can only name one; that's like trying to breathe only once a day! :lol: best i can do is narrow it down to 5:

THE FALL
VOIVOD
SABBATH
BATHORY
NURSE WITH WOUND/CURRENT93

of course, half of these will change by next week, haha..
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Why is this such a difficult question to answer? I've been wrestling with it for about half an hour and i can't narrow it down to just one band. I have different favourites for different moods, and not all of them are Metal.
Ah well, here goes fuck-all.
I couldn't narrow it down from these seven though...

Black Sabbath (Ozzy-era)
AC/DC (Bon Scott-era)
Spirit
Rose Tattoo
Masters Of Reality
Frank Zappa
Voivod