Why are records rare? [Merged/Admin]

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

With the Ritual album, the band allegedly destroyed most of the copies since they didn't have the band name printed on the cover, and they didn't want to sell their album w/o their name on it. Makes sense; it'd be like writing a book and not having your name as the author. For years people thought that LP was by a band called Widow b/c of the misprint.

The Paradoxx story is similar; the band never picked up the other copies from the pressing plant b/c they thought they looked bad/the labels were incorrect, and didn't want to sell their record if it looked bad. The plant eventually destroyed the leftover copies that were never picked up.

In both cases, few copies made it into circulation, so the supply was always low, hence the rarity. As the albums gained a cult status, more collectors kept them and copies became even rarer.

Others are rare b/c few were ever made in the first place. The yellow Avatar (which is the subject of much hilarity in the 'Top Items' thread currently) is rare b/c only 10-20 copies were made to begin with. Few copies + popular band = very rare about 26 years later.
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
DeathLörd

Post by DeathLörd »

I heard the same story with FACE OF EVIL from Sweden.

Apparently they destroyed their copies of the LP that Metal Blood released because the requested black logo on black background was wrong. It ended up being printed as a black logo on grey jacket. I don't know the original number that were pressed of this LP. 1000 copies? 100 destroyed by the band??

I don't know how many copies were actually destroyed or if this is in fact a true story. Possibly though, as FACE OF EVIL has yet to release anything that I know of since their debut LP.
wreackhavoc

Post by wreackhavoc »

Witch Cross also had to destroy a good bunch of their 7" due to some oil damage
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Seventh Son lost a bunch of picture sleeves for their second single due to water damage. Copies still turn up fairly regularly and cheap
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

[Hooray! First official use of the new "merge thread"-function = success./Admin]
GJ

Post by GJ »

tomas wrote:You can add another variable:
'Country'
By which I mean that Ostrogoth EPs and Acid LPs very common here in Belgium but I can imagine that they're very rare in Peru or Japan.
That's why you should send packages of Ostrogoth and Acid records to Peru as an aid to the desperate situation. Imagine those bleak misty-eyed Peruvian Headbangers starved for some Ecstacy and Danger. Send your stuff now! YOU can make a difference!