1001 reasons why Heavy Metal rules:

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

Of course it's full of clichés, I guess that was sort of the point of doing such a large list. I just happen not to share those ones and I just said so. Seemingly you didn't take it as a personal attack or offense which is cool 'cause they weren't. And it seems that there wouldn't be any cleaning of the list (unless for repeated ones) at least that's what I understood from what DaN said, and he's the boss.
JonahQuizz

Post by JonahQuizz »

392. "heavy metal is loooouuuud, heavy metal is prooouuuud"
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

I see nothing wrong with "emotionally deep" reasons. The whole wide spectra of Heavy Metal Worship should be covered. Besides, is there a luuuuw more true that this?

That saxophone thing deserves some dissection though. Stay tuned..
Piotr Sargnagel

Post by Piotr Sargnagel »

I don't have time to check which number this one is but I have to tell the story that I read some years ago in the Sunday Times. Rob Halford, Phil Lynnot, Brian May and some others were invited to an audience with the Queen of England. Anyway, they were all there mingling and someone had obviously briefed the Queen as to what Rob Halford did (the musical part obviously) so when it gets to time for her to address him she asks why Heavy Metal has to be so loud. Halford answers "Because it sounds better loud, Your Majesty." I don't know if this story is true but I love it and it should be included in the list I reckon!
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

Sure, the problem wasn't that it was emotional, is just that I don't agree with that. Is not something I feel, at least not excusevely with metal. I can get those sort of feelings with other kinds of music (maybe even more) and since this is "1001 reasons why Metal rules" it sort of implies why it rules more than other styles of music, so I guessed that we should name thing that belong exclusively to metal.
GJ

Post by GJ »

I don't think it's a very good idea trying to structure this too much. Not to bother with the details is my tip. I trust everyone here have their own way of interpreting what is Heavy Metal and what are the factors of it's reign (the how's, the why's and so on). Criticizing people for their personal experiences and feelings sort of takes out the fun of this. This is a nice thread but I am not sure it would make a very good book (fanzine - or what you like). I prefer having fun along the way...

393. The myriads of possibilites for individual interpretation of the term Heavy Metal and it's eventual reign. :D
JonahQuizz

Post by JonahQuizz »

Piotr Sargnagel wrote:I don't have time to check which number this one is but I have to tell the story that I read some years ago in the Sunday Times. Rob Halford, Phil Lynnot, Brian May and some others were invited to an audience with the Queen of England. Anyway, they were all there mingling and someone had obviously briefed the Queen as to what Rob Halford did (the musical part obviously) so when it gets to time for her to address him she asks why Heavy Metal has to be so loud. Halford answers "Because it sounds better loud, Your Majesty." I don't know if this story is true but I love it and it should be included in the list I reckon!
I've heard of this one too and I think it's true so lets add it to the list
Piotr Sargnagel

I would LOVE to see a picture of that gathering and the queen talking to Halford - so surreal...
great_knuthulhu

Post by great_knuthulhu »

394. Because Heavy Metal sticks the proverbial middle finger up to everybody and anything more effectively than punk did.
I know I ain't doing much,
doing nothing means a lot to me.
Ernest Thesiger

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

We're never going to hit 1001! You're all mad!
"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

395. Because the assembled lunatics here at the Corroseum can easily come up with 1001 reasons why Heavy Metal rules, despite the fact that we're "all mad".

:lol:

See entry above.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Piotr Sargnagel wrote:I would LOVE to see a picture of that gathering and the queen talking to Halford - so surreal...
The only reference to it that i could find was this:

"At a big music celebration that took place at Buckingham Palace two years ago, where lots of music people were presented to the Queen, I was in a group with Rob Halford of Judas Priest, Alex James of Blur and Cilla Black. The next group was Peter Gabriel and Status Quo. The Queen asked Rob Halford: "Why is rock music so loud?" And he answered: "For some of us, it sounds better like that."

it's in a piece about indie band Kaiser Chiefs by Tim Cooper.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 97847.html
Piotr Sargnagel

haha brilliant! Cilla Black and Halford, what a picture in itself.
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

DaN wrote:I see nothing wrong with "emotionally deep" reasons. The whole wide spectra of Heavy Metal Worship should be covered. Besides, is there a luuuuw more true that this?

That saxophone thing deserves some dissection though. Stay tuned..
THANK YOU! :)

If God wanted brass in a metal band, he would have made metal drum sticks :)
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

sax on "welcome to my hell" from Death SS sounds pretty good, i thought they were kekboards....BUT OH WELL

396. there are certain bands to listen depending on the mood you are in!