TALES OF MEDUSA and their wicked ways..

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
The Knell

Post by The Knell »

It looks good, wondering if it's worth the jazz. For a cheap tape I want to check it out but there is no contact to be found anywhere. Bah
humus

Post by humus »

"Ooh, ooh! It's the sound of tha metal police! Ooh, ooh! It's the sound of tha metal police!"

A band makes the music, a band decides what happens with it. I find it prentitious to say 'if you're a band, you have to spread your music with whoever you want', as if this is a rule within heavy metal. Where do you pull the line? Also telling a band how they should look? Then telling them what they should play?

If you don't like the ways of a band you can say so, but you don't have to be so offensive over it and get all fired up.
The Knell

Post by The Knell »

ooh ooh, how can I get the tape or stuff? ooh ohh i want the contact
Shadow Kingdom

Post by Shadow Kingdom »

Whether it's limited 50 copies or limited 500 copies, it doesn't matter. In theory that 51st or 501st person can't get a copy, period. They have to settle for a dub. If you run a label that releases limited pressings... isn't it the same damn thing? Or is person 51 more important than person 501?

This probably wouldn't be a problem if their music wasn't off the charts amazing. I don't hear any "rip off" riffs either.

DIRE FATE (from Australia) released a CDR limited to 50 copies too... why isn't anyone complaining about that? You have to pay for a copy too.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

It's one thing to make a small typical announcement, have a contact address somewhere available and follow a first-come first-served policy when you are about to release something, even if it is a 50 copies pressing only, and quite another to send selectively your new album only to those you regard as the "enlightened" ones and shamelessly ignore all others who don't meet your ridiculous criteria no matter how early they came to ask for your stuff. Only the former can be called a "limited release".
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

daniel wrote:Further they even told Tobi of Metal Coven he had to take down a review he'd written of one of their releases, now, give me another example of a more stupid tactic to remain as underground as possible.
Daniel, this is total bull my friend! I remember this thread on Miskatonic board and no one from the band told Tobi anything like that. It was another angry person like you who SPECULATED and now this shit spreads around like a fact. It is not.

Here's a fact for you: when the vinyl was out the band send multiple copies to some distros. I got 5 LPs and I e-mailed Axe to ask him at what price to sell them and where to send their cuts afterwards. That's when he told me they create and play music for their enjoyment and don't feel comfortable selling it.

He told me "just sell them for reasonable price and use the money for your label." No conditions, no restrictions - he just gave the LPs they have paid out of their pocket out there without asking for anything back. He told me they were running low on money so that's why they opted giving some copies to distros to be distributed forward. I don't know if it has ever dawned to you, but packing and sending out 100 LPs would cost over $800+ for the packaging and shipping alone!

I'm not the band's advocate and I dont know why they havent responded to everyone. I can only assume that they just dont answer to "hey can you send me LP please" sort of e-mails. I know for certain that people who wrote this GOT copies without receiving e-mails back, so if they have copes, they will send out, if they ran out, they don't.

It just bothers me greatly to see how a person who creates and gives his music for free is bashed and brought down with such vicious hatred.

And before starting accusing me of anything: I did not sell any of the extra LP copies. I felt it was inappropriate for me to sell something that doesn't belong to me, so I gave them to first 4 people who asked at the forum.
Mr Nuke

Post by Mr Nuke »

If the band is so secretive, how can anyone know about their attitude ?

I had a few e-mails with one of them. He doesn't want people to send him records as "payment/reward".

And, I think that doing and sending 50 or 100 copies freely takes time and money so it's maybe a reason why they don't press more copies.

What I can say is that their music is excellent. They're not original for sure, but they at least have their own identity and know how to write songs. They do things properly when it comes to the record itself : pro-tape, decent quality vinyl, nice layouts (no pixelised crap, etc).

I don't feel being a part of an elite or so. I just had contact with them by luck, and they may have lost my new address since I have lost a lot of past e-mails so I don't even know if they have my current snail mail address. Maybe the copies will go to another person. That's bad because I like their music, but that's good because someone else will get good records at least.

And if someone sells their records on eBay, then it's disrespectful to the band. If ones doesn't like their records, then write them to stop sending them, or give them to a friend/penpal that likes their music ! Period.

And I have yet to see the cult about them. We don't know what will happen in ten years, and they most probably won't be the next MILITIA. And, by the way, apart from a circle of collectors and tape-traders, who cares for MILITIA ? Oh, well, with the mp3 thing, I bet some dozens of people in their early twenties will crave for it, but I bet in 10 years we'll be back to the start.

PS: I never said MILITIA's music is bad in any way. I just tried to show things put at their right places.

EDIT : Some of my ideas cross Mr Stormspell's (who was faster than me) ones, it seems.
Gott ist tot.
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

Wow, I canno't believe how easily so many of you took Daniel's specualtions for granted and are ready to join in throwing the stones...

Maybe ToM are on agenda: to show how bad and rotten the underground has become...

Tell you what. I'll go down to the garage and dig up my dual tape deck machine and will dub a copy for everyone here who wants it. This way if the band is truly elitists, they can be mad at me and I'll take all the blame. I'm not Santa Claus, though, so you have to cover for materials and shipping. PM if interested.
Last edited by Stormspell on Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mr Nuke

Post by Mr Nuke »

Oh, well, I was actually defending the band ...
Gott ist tot.
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

Mr Nuke wrote:Oh, well, I was actually defending the band ...
Hey man, I did not respond to your post, it wasn't posted yet by the time I was writing mine :)
Mr Nuke

Post by Mr Nuke »

Good ! :D And sorry man !
Gott ist tot.
Shadow Kingdom

Post by Shadow Kingdom »

ION BRITTON wrote:It's one thing to make a small typical announcement, have a contact address somewhere available and follow a first-come first-served policy when you are about to release something, even if it is a 50 copies pressing only, and quite another to send selectively your new album only to those you regard as the "enlightened" ones and shamelessly ignore all others who don't meet your ridiculous criteria no matter how early they came to ask for your stuff. Only the former can be called a "limited release".
I believe it has been first come, first serve, that's why the same people have been getting the releases while the same people aren't.

When they press more quantity stuff, more people do get it like the LP for instance was 100 copies.
Shadow Kingdom

Post by Shadow Kingdom »

stormspell wrote:
Maybe ToM are on agenda: to show how bad and rotten the underground has become...
I never thought of that....
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Oh ok, maybe daniel's just imagining things and ToM never did anything like that, they answered all the e-mails and just told to anyone that came in contact with them that "we are SO sorry pal, the copies are all gone, we will surely press more next time 'cause we see for the 5th time in a row that far more than 50 people do want to hear us, thanks for understanding"

Now, because all this discussion has become too theoretical, i'd like to know where i can find an e-mail/contact address of the band. Why isn't anyone posting it somewhere? From the moment they follow a first-come first-serve policy, i don't the see where's the problem giving your contact address, so those who are interested and act FAST can order a copy. When they release again a new album, I will try to send 20 different orders from 20 different e-mails of various friends of mine, i am really curious to see how much i will receive in the end. Well, that of course IF i learn something about their new album on time...

Finally, i wanted to say that i find the band's music simply interesting. Not bad in any case, but far from amazing.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
anthares

Post by anthares »

ION BRITTON wrote:, i'd like to know where i can find an e-mail/contact address of the band. Why isn't anyone posting it somewhere? .
Here is one I got mail from:
talesofmedusa@yahoo.ca