Sweet Savage Recordings

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
nightsblood

Sweet Savage Recordings

Post by nightsblood »

Are there good-sounding copies of SS recordings out there other than the 2 singles/compilation appearances? I have mp3 copies of a '79 demo and their bbc session as well as a live show from '81 I think (opening for Thin Lizzy), but the sound quality is not great for any of them. I've found the bbc session posted in a few different places but it's always the same version w/ not-so-great sound quality.
Thanks for any info on this. Not the most kvlt nwobhm band, but they could really belt it out.
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
mordred

Post by mordred »

Well for starters, there's always the two full length albums they did...
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
Professor Black

Post by Professor Black »

I have a 3-song (I think) video, and yeah, not so good quality.
pentagramophone

Post by pentagramophone »

A couple of years ago Trev sold a bunch of different CD's at eBay with more or less home made covers in slimcases. Recordings were from '79-'81 and the number of songs per CD varied quite a bit.

- Lady Marion (3 trx)
- Take No prisoners (2 trx)
- Eye of the storm (2 trx)
- The Raid (2 trx)
- Ground Zero (3 trx)
- Radio Times (9 trx)
- All that remains (6 trx)
+ Fodder for the monster DVD (4 trx)

Can't remember how the sound quality varied but I guess not much better copies are available since these came from the band.
Nightlock

Post by Nightlock »

Yeah I'd love to get the BBC sessions in good quality too, that's their peak musically in my opinion.
"On your knees
Into the night that you'll never remember"
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

I'm quite sure Bigfootkit posted the Sweet Savage BBC recording on his blog a while ago. It may still be there.
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Not really interested in albums they recorded in recent years like 'rune'.

Yeah, 'kit posted the bbc session but the sound quality is the same as other copies I've found; listenable but far from crystal clear

I got one of those cdr's from Trevor awhile back and many of the unreleased songs are really good, but again the sound quality is so-so
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
JonahQuizz

Post by JonahQuizz »

I saw them twice this summer and man they were great both times!
nabel

Post by nabel »

JonahQuizz wrote:I saw them twice this summer and man they were great both times!
AMEN! One of the best gigs in HOA last summer.
JonahQuizz

Post by JonahQuizz »

nabel wrote:
JonahQuizz wrote:I saw them twice this summer and man they were great both times!
AMEN! One of the best gigs in HOA last summer.
One of the best gigs at sweden rock festival too and there they were competing with the mighty priest!

Definitely the best gig I saw at WOA but that doesn't say too much since it was the only gig I attended haha.
mordred

Post by mordred »

nightsblood wrote:Not really interested in albums they recorded in recent years like 'rune'.
They were not recorded in recent years, the were recorded in the mid 90's, almost 15 years ago. They're made out of songs from the old days and the sound quality is far superior to that of the available older recordings. But if you prefer crap quality just for the sake of it, be my guest.
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Neither 'Killing Time' nor 'Rune' contain a lot of the older songs, so even if I get those they don't have better-sounding versions of tracks like 'Into the Night', 'Sweet Surrender', ''Queens Vengeance', 'Lady Marion','Finders Keepers', etc (unless the song titles were changed).

You're right that mid-90s is no longer recent (man, I'm getting old) but it still puts the 'new' albums ~15 years after-the-fact. I might get around to checking them out at some point, but I can't listen to everything, and nwobhm comeback/reunion projects have rarely offered up anything except disappointment IMO. Maybe 'Killing Time' and 'Rune' are exceptions, maybe not
-Becky
mordred

Post by mordred »

nightsblood wrote:Neither 'Killing Time' nor 'Rune' contain a lot of the older songs, so even if I get those they don't have better-sounding versions of tracks like 'Into the Night', 'Sweet Surrender', ''Queens Vengeance', 'Lady Marion','Finders Keepers', etc (unless the song titles were changed).

You're right that mid-90s is no longer recent (man, I'm getting old) but it still puts the 'new' albums ~15 years after-the-fact. I might get around to checking them out at some point, but I can't listen to everything, and nwobhm comeback/reunion projects have rarely offered up anything except disappointment IMO. Maybe 'Killing Time' and 'Rune' are exceptions, maybe not
Granted, the albums does not contain ALL the old songs because there were so many, but most of it is old numbers like "Prospectors of Greed", "Killing Time", "The Raid", "Eye of the Storm" etc. I have not heard Runes, but the Killing Time album is killer I think. Very much in the old tradition, well, completely in the old tradition really.
caminantenocturno

Post by caminantenocturno »

pentagramophone wrote:A couple of years ago Trev sold a bunch of different CD's at eBay with more or less home made covers in slimcases. Recordings were from '79-'81 and the number of songs per CD varied quite a bit.

- Lady Marion (3 trx)
- Take No prisoners (2 trx)
- Eye of the storm (2 trx)
- The Raid (2 trx)
- Ground Zero (3 trx)
- Radio Times (9 trx)
- All that remains (6 trx)
+ Fodder for the monster DVD (4 trx)

Can't remember how the sound quality varied but I guess not much better copies are available since these came from the band.
Well at least some information on these:

They're supposed to be from the band, yes, I bought all of them (4-5, I don't remember), paid them, and ... got ripped of!!!

Whatever happened to 80s metal spirit I wonder!?

So my advice ... careful with these! :evil: