recommendations needed

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
old school doom

recommendations needed

Post by old school doom »

hey,
i'm looking for obscure old school doom bands. i'm already into thesebands: pentagram/bedemon/deathrow, vitus, sabbath,dream death, witchfinder general, the obsessed, zess, budgie,...

could you guys recommend me some?

thanks!
mordred

Re: recommendations needed

Post by mordred »

old school doom wrote:hey,
i'm looking for obscure old school doom bands. i'm already into thesebands: pentagram/bedemon/deathrow, vitus, sabbath,dream death, witchfinder general, the obsessed, zess, budgie,...

could you guys recommend me some?

thanks!
MERCY of coure. The Witchburner LP of 1985 is simply one of the greatest doom LP's ever. Think the sound of Saint Vitus taken to heights SV could never reach themselves and add a bit of Mercyful Fate. In case you didn't know, Messiah Marcolin sings the vocals.
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
mordred

Post by mordred »

As for new but old school doom bands I would tell you about REVEREND BIZARRE and THE GATES OF SLUMBER. RB take the slow extremity of Saint Vitus and adds some of the epic atmosphere of Candlemass. Their debut "In the Rectory of the BIzarre Reverend" of 2001 is actually so fucking slow., heavy and doomy that it defies description. Truly great stuff, although it might be considered over the top by some.
TGOS is a true doom crusader also very much influenced by Saint Vitus, but with epic metal hints of Cirith Ungol and Manilla Road. Their lates album "Suffer no Guilt" is recommended.

Soon I think DaN will tip you off about BLACK HOLE... :D
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
old school doom

Post by old school doom »

i'm a reverend bizarre fan, saw them live and they disappointed me.
the gates of slumber is an excellent live band!!

i found the mercy album on vibrations of doom, i'll check them out now!
Ruthlessmetal

Post by Ruthlessmetal »

I agree with Mordred, Mercy is definitely a must!
Go and check out Cirith Ungol too if you havent done that already. Pentagram is also a must but I guess that you've heard 'em long time ago.
anthares

Post by anthares »

I would recommend swedish SORCERER and finnish EXITUS.
metalmaster

Post by metalmaster »

I would mention Black Hole, The Black, Paul Chain Violet Theater, Requiem and the early Death SS stuff with Paul Chain.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

BLACK HOLE cannot be overrated. Instead of raving about them for the umpteenth time I'll just point you in the direction of my review. Be sure to seek out the "Beyond the gravestone" demo '84 as well. 90 minutes of the greatest Doooooooohhhhmmm ever made by man.

A criminally overlooked old Doom-gem is the debut by Swedes STILLBORN, "Necrospirituals" from '89. Dark, mean & excellent Doom/Metal/Rock you shouldn't have to live without. Ignore all later releases, for they be gay aplenty.
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

The 2 1rst albums ( Storm Warning and Destruction of the Void) from Count Raven are brilliant (btw I've heard rumors that they have reformed, is it true ?).
3 great US bands : Evoken , Iron Man, Orodruin;
Also, one of my fave Dolorian from Finland and a newcomer Othodox from Spain.
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

I strongly believe that Candlemass-Epicus Doomicus Metallicus is the best doom record and in the same time one of the 10 best records ever made
tomas

Post by tomas »

thanks a million!!

that candlemass album is indeed great!!
Keir

Post by Keir »

I don’t know much about doom metal, but on the NWOBHM side of things, Nightime Flyer’s single reminds me a lot of Witchfinder General. Mostly just the B-side “Heavy Metal Rules”, the A-side being more along the lines of Black Sabbath’s bluesier stuff.
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

I don't know if you like this band but EQUINOX OV THE GODS 1st album is one of my very,very favourites.The doomy sound of this Swedish band is unbelivable doomy and the riffs,synths and generally the atmoshere reminds of the mighty BLACK HOLE i think.EQUINOX OV THE GODS with the ''Images From Forgotten Memories'' continued where BLACK HOLE stopped in the 80's.EQOTG is definitely my FAVOURITE BAND of 90's and 00's of course.A criminally underestimated band where their 1st album 1996 followed 3 other releases with no comparison to the 1st.How underground and true it shows from the fact that this band is still Unsigned. :evil:
metalmaster

Post by metalmaster »

Check them out. Total doom and sinister:

http://www.myspace.com/orthodoxband
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

I just got the 3rd FAITH demo from '86 (cheers Mordred). It's a must for the godly "Cloak Of Darkness" alone. DO - NOT - MISS ! ! !

Even if you (like me) find Solitude Aeturnus a bit too slick I'd still recommend their '88 demo "And Justice For All". CRUSHING Gloomy Doooom like the gods intended. The Doomed Planet Rec. vinyl reissue is a beaut' too.