Medieval Death

Share rare mp3s with forum members. PLZ READ UPDATE!
Helm

Medieval Death

Post by Helm »

Underground technothrash band from Thesaloniki, Greece. Active during the early '90s. From their roster, Kostas Exarhakis was once active in awful greek europower band Firewind. Their drummer, Apostolos Zaios moved to germany and later joined Human Fortress, which is another europower band I am not personally familiar with. It was him I had e-mailed a long time ago for info on Medieval Death and how to get their demo, and he wasn't very forthcoming. The demo was eventually tracked down by wom (who posts on this forum too) and whom I thank very much for it.

The zip below contains their 'Moments of Silence' demo, from which if I remember correctly a song was featured in one of Metal Hammers's compilations of greek metal acts, which was where I first heard of them.

Their music carries a strong Coroner and Voivod influence. One can hear the shape of 'traditional' thrash metal slowly reforming towards the technothrash of that time. Their vocalist, Tilemaxos (same name to mine!) Mousas, has a very distinctive semi-moaned delivery, owing more to I'd say, gothic rock than to any HM vocalist of that time. Though not technically amazing, his voice is the most endearing aspect of this band due to it's distinctive style. I hear he now fronts a jazz quartet as their guitarist and composer, and has also played with known mainstream greek bands such as Xaxakes and Ble. I wonder how he feels about Medieval Death now. Perhaps one day I'll track him down and find out.

Here be demo
ChildOfTheDamned

Post by ChildOfTheDamned »

You forgot to mention that they were covering a CURE song in their live sets,that was far too risky for those times! Thanks for uploading this!
Helm

Post by Helm »

No prob! You caught Medieval Death live? I didn't know you're greek either! Tell us a bit about them live if you want.
BestialLust

Post by BestialLust »

I have a dub of a demo from 1990 somewhere (perhaps this is the same one?), and I remember it being an excellent interpretation - for lack of a better word - of 'Into the Pandemonium'.
Helm

Post by Helm »

This isn't Celticfrosty at all! Could it be another band? Perhaps Medieval Demon?
ChildOfTheDamned

Post by ChildOfTheDamned »

Yeah I'm greek,I live in Thessaloniki (like Medieval Death) and I'm almost 25 years old so there was no chance to catch them live,I've just read about that cover in a couple of magazines and it stuck to my mind :)
BestialLust

Post by BestialLust »

Helm wrote:This isn't Celticfrosty at all! Could it be another band? Perhaps Medieval Demon?

No, it's unquestionably Medieval Death, although the CF-comparison was mostly in reference to the vocals. Medieval Demon were a rather good Black Metal band who tried to mix that Greek sound with a commercial image, which ultimately became the reason for their demise.

I will download this soon to see whether it is the same recording, so thanks a lot in advance!
Helm

Post by Helm »

The vocals are anything but Celticfrosty, hehe! Do listen and tell when you get the chance.
Ernest Thesiger

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

Thanks a lot for this. Sounds very impressive, although I'm not so keen on the vocals (which do sound like the weepy-hanky vox on CF's "Mesmerised"). I'll definitely listen to this again.
"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Quite good technical thrash with a dark feeling and lots of references to Coroner. I agree that the vocals have a Celtic Frost vibe, not the early "Into the crypts..." style, but very close to "Mezmerised" as Ernest correctly pointed out, especially on "Eternal Death"! Personally, it reminded me of Rozz Williams' Christian Death type of vox, i understand what Helm means when he says that he owns a lot to gothic rock. Nice for what it is, not exactly my cup of tea though. Haven't heard it before, so thanks for the upload!
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

Ok, I just listened to this. Although this type of stuff is not really my cup of tea I enjoyed most of the playing. But vocals were kinda mixed bag. Occationally good but most of the time annoyed me. I didn't like the whiny parts and especially on "Moments of Silence" the vocalist sounded like the singer from The Cure which definitely is not a good thing to me. Well it's a matter of taste ofcourse. I'm just usually disgusted by gothic rock elements and especially in vocals. Still wanted to give a fair chance to this and who knows.. maybe in time I get used to the vocals.
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
anthares

Post by anthares »

Thanx for this! And indeed, Rozz Williams vocals that influenced Warrior too. I like it!!!
StygianBlade

Post by StygianBlade »

Another gem of the Greek underground although this one is placed on the dark side. I always liked this demo it carries an obscure dark touch. In fact there was Medieval Demon and not Medieval Death that featured in early Metal Hammer compilation CD. But I got to check my lot to ensure it.

Medieval Demon was my favourite Black Metal band from Greece back in the mid 90s. I remember a member of them was working on a local Athenian Record Store called Unisound Records –yes the record label was behind it-. We did lots of trading back then.

Cool to notice many Greeks around the forum. Thessaloniki rules badly. Have spent the best years of my life in there!
StygianBlade

Post by StygianBlade »

I give it a try yesterday once again. It has been ages since my last hearing. Your points about Rozz Williams influences on the vox are in the point but I guess that only the vocals but the whole atmosphere and musical background of this tape are totally into Celtic Frost.
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

I'm downloading with 3k from that website :(

P.S. nevermind, it downloaded eventually, thanks!