"that" Italian sound / Black Hole

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Rock Beast

Post by Rock Beast »

L'IMPERO DELLE OMBRE, TONY TEARS & ABYSMAL GRIEF to name a few (new)
muskeg

Post by muskeg »

I don't know if anyone's mentioned it...but the self-titled BODKIN record from 1972(i think) is awesome. the first time i heard BLACK HOLE it reminded me of BODKIN
King Zombie

Post by King Zombie »

Khnud wrote:They aren't metal, but you can't go wrong with GOBLIN.
Goblin is a group I highly reccomend :twisted: 70s prog rock of very high quality.
Keep politics OUT of this forum
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

Goblin is good, but if you haven't listened to them, make sure you get their earlier stuff first, like Profondo Rosso, Suspiria, Zombi, Buio Omega, Squadra Antidroga. The stuff released under the name Goblin in the 80's isn't that good, except for some tracks of Phenomena like the title track, or The Wind.

By the way, which Jacula album would you reccomend me to get first?
metalmartyrdoom

Post by metalmartyrdoom »

Oh another band that I forgot to mention, and I tend to notice these guys being overlooked quiet frequently, but Blood Thirsty Demons. Great newer Horror Metal band not too far from Death SS, but with a slight hint of NWOBHM.
ReichnRoll

Post by ReichnRoll »

I strongly advise Blood Thirsty Demons "Sabbath - Solve et coagula" LP (reissue of the demo and the first MCD) for occult italian metal.

Didn't check out the later stuff but was told that it had lost this "magic sound".
It's time to raise the flag of hate !
metalmartyrdoom

Post by metalmartyrdoom »

Fucking Åmål wrote:
metalmartyrdoom wrote:I have this on vinyl for trade to anyone who's interested.
Was this released also on vynil? :roll: I didn't knew that :oops: Anyway i have the CD.
Well I'm about 99.999% sure its a boot, released on none other than the "legendary :roll: " label Unisound. Although the sound quality isn't too bad. The band just has a bit too much of a "gothic" feel for me... When I said I had it to trade, that means for almost anything..hahah
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

One name I haven't seen mentioned is Requiem (the italian band). Some former Paul Chain members were involved and they released an EP, a studio album, and a live album. The live material is the best, captures a very heavy, doomy raw sound that's the best Italian doom I've heard to date (granted I've not heard all that much). All three were released on Minatauro in the late 80s/earliest 90s.

Death SS- Most of what I've heard is from the Paul Chain days and most of it's good. The much later 'do what thou wilt' wasn't very interesting IMO- it had more in common w/ Marrilyn Manson or later Christian Death than anything really doomy.

Paul Chain- I've heard some of his mid 80s stuff; ok, but not a personal fave.

The Black- very unimpressed with what I've heard. This is to Death SS what the lame Memento Mori was to the godly Candlemass.
Shadow Kingdom

Post by Shadow Kingdom »

What about ARPIA? That's KILLER stuff! I have all 3 of their 80's demos instock.
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

I'm listening to Jacula and it sound pretty interesting, but it's not a kind of music you can actually judge with a couple of spins. But it's creepy and even has some cool riffs here and there.
Thanks for the reccomendation.
muskeg

Post by muskeg »

Cochino wrote:I'm listening to Jacula and it sound pretty interesting, but it's not a kind of music you can actually judge with a couple of spins. But it's creepy and even has some cool riffs here and there.
i only have in cauda semper stat venenum and i like it a lot...especially "triumphatus sad"

definitely awesome riffing and sound from something from 69
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

muskeg wrote:
Cochino wrote:I'm listening to Jacula and it sound pretty interesting, but it's not a kind of music you can actually judge with a couple of spins. But it's creepy and even has some cool riffs here and there.
i only have in cauda semper stat venenum and i like it a lot...especially "triumphatus sad"

That's the album I've been listening to and that the track I was talking about, just that I'm away from my PC and didn't feel like "googling" the names. That song is AMAZING!
muskeg

Post by muskeg »

Cochino wrote:
muskeg wrote:

That's the album I've been listening to and that the track I was talking about, just that I'm away from my PC and didn't feel like "googling" the names. That song is AMAZING!
it is! might i also recommend the P205 selt-titled ablum from 1972...not italian, but very good..."major god" is an especially heavy highlight.
DMR

Post by DMR »

the erlking wrote:I love Death SS and I think "In Death of Steve Sylvester" is maybe their best full album. :?
I love also the late 70s/early 80s versions of the songs.

Almost all Italian steel from the 80's I've heard has been good.
Berserks, Black Hole, Halloween, Shining Blade, Paul Chain, Steel Crown (some how this one sounds very japanese to me). I wonder if anyone could recommend me more heavy/speed stuff similar to berserks, halloween and shining blade??
Have you heard Danger Zone - Victim of Time yet?
DMR

Post by DMR »

muskeg wrote:

I have that album too, but it doesn't sound to me like something from '69. The guitar sound is SO fucking heavy! It makes '70s Black Sabbath sound like wimpy hippie shit.