Legit, Not Legit, Who Cares?

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
Nicko McBuff

Post by Nicko McBuff »

Korgüll wrote:
Nicko McBuff wrote:Obsession Methods Of Madness cd (metal mayhem) is a bootleg
I'm pretty sure this is an 'official' re-issue Nicko?!
The CD has a barcode, usually a good sign. But I guess still doesn't mean much.
I dunno dude, after I got it I stumbled on this on their myspace page "**OBSESSION IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH METAL MAYHEM RECORDS** HELP SUPPORT OBSESSION BY NOT PURCHASING ANY OBSESSION MERCHANDISE WITH THE METAL MAYHEM LOGO. THANK YOU!"
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

Nicko McBuff wrote:
Korgüll wrote:
Nicko McBuff wrote:Obsession Methods Of Madness cd (metal mayhem) is a bootleg
I'm pretty sure this is an 'official' re-issue Nicko?!
The CD has a barcode, usually a good sign. But I guess still doesn't mean much.
I dunno dude, after I got it I stumbled on this on their myspace page "**OBSESSION IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH METAL MAYHEM RECORDS** HELP SUPPORT OBSESSION BY NOT PURCHASING ANY OBSESSION MERCHANDISE WITH THE METAL MAYHEM LOGO. THANK YOU!"
oh, ok... didn't know about that. I guess they're not official then? :?
Shadow Kingdom

Post by Shadow Kingdom »

doomedplanet wrote:While I do not condone bootlegs I want to make a comment on the following statement:
glockose wrote: Mike Varney owns everything that was on Shapnel (EVERYTHING) any and all CD's of this stuff that are not on Shrapnel ARE BOOTLEGS and he has been known to take the time to stop it.
In the few times I met Varney I found out something from him: He does not care about metal at all. He is just a business man, maybe once he liked it, who knows? But what I find absolutely hilarious is here is a business man with good money sense (he made a lot on metal let me tell you) and he keeps the majority of his back catalog OUT OF PRINT. So here is a guy that owns everything and he has alot of $$ and he does not protect his catalog by keeping it in print because he just does not care, just enough to once in awhile send a threatening letter to a bootlegger. So I think it is absolutely HILARIOUS that HAWAII and HEXX and GRIFFIN and EXCITER (and more) ALL have been bootlegged, it is Varney's own fault! that really just boggles my mind. It is incredible, I mean who would not do it, it is free money. He could be selling the shit out of his music he owns and what does he do? Nothing, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA go bootleggers, go.

sorry, now back to our regularly scheduled program, I just wanted to get that off my check, it is just so absurd.
Rob has a good point,

Should we have sympathy for bands that just want to get their stuff out and are being held down by asshole labels that won't give back their rights?

It's a good point indeed....

I think we have to have some sort of a compromise when it comes to the alleged pirating of other peoples music.

Ask yourself this question... if a band is held down by a label that never wants to put out their stuff again and the band themselves puts out a record on their own or a label that atleasts contacts the band and trys to pay them something and has permission from the band to do it... is it ok to buy that release in your own eyes, even though it's not 100% legit? To me if the band is being taken care of, even if it's in the least amount of money I still think that's all that counts.... it atleasts counts in my eyes with regards to the issues of asshole/greedy/stubborn labels that might have tricked a band into selling their rights over for life...
hload

Post by hload »

i don't think everything about mr. varney said is true. the strangest think of him was that he could never sell anything of his catalogue outside US. but sure i forgive him about that. and i believe that he gave some of the rights of his releases ...like george bellas, macalpine and chastain's first instrumental monster lp(or at least the rights of a couple of tracks of it)......
Shadow Kingdom

Post by Shadow Kingdom »

hload wrote:i don't think everything about mr. varney said is true. the strangest think of him was that he could never sell anything of his catalogue outside US. but sure i forgive him about that. and i believe that he gave some of the rights of his releases ...like george bellas, macalpine and chastain's first instrumental monster lp(or at least the rights of a couple of tracks of it)......
Just curious... how do you know this? Is it directly from Mr. Varney (did you speack to him on the phone or have an email from him saying this)?
hload

Post by hload »

Shadow Kingdom wrote:
hload wrote:i don't think everything about mr. varney said is true. the strangest think of him was that he could never sell anything of his catalogue outside US. but sure i forgive him about that. and i believe that he gave some of the rights of his releases ...like george bellas, macalpine and chastain's first instrumental monster lp(or at least the rights of a couple of tracks of it)......
Just curious... how do you know this? Is it directly from Mr. Varney (did you speack to him on the phone or have an email from him saying this)?
why? are you planning to rerelease some shrapnel gemms? unbelievable....
Shadow Kingdom

Post by Shadow Kingdom »

hload wrote:
Shadow Kingdom wrote:
why? are you planning to rerelease some shrapnel gemms? unbelievable....
What's unbelievable?

I'm asking because you're saying you "don't think everything about mr. varney said is true". If you don't think it's true, what I want to know is exactly what you think is true and did you personally speak with Mr. Varney to be able to defend his side? That's why.
Mr Nuke

Post by Mr Nuke »

Shadow Kingdom wrote:Yeah VEGAS CDs is a whole other animal. I don't know the whole story behind him yet, but people are telling me he MOSTLY puts out illegal pressings and on top of that has the nerve to sell CDRs and falsely advertises original pressings for big money on ebay that's either an illegal pressing or a CDR...
I wasn't ware of him until I bought two CDs from him recently. Two of these were supposed to be originals.

One if obviously a bootleg (the printing on the disc itself, the slim paper backtray, etc) and the other is a good full quality CD, but a russian pressing (a CD-Maximum licensed CD it seems).
Well, at least I didn't pay them an expensive price (11$ and 7$ respectively)...

The real problem with these "rereleases" is that it's sometimes hard to see which are legit and which aren't if one's not in the circuit.
And, my advice is, for dubious stuff, the only way to stop this circus is to avoid paying full price or even more for their bootlegs. Even for older bootlegs. I won't pay 100€ for a MERCYFUL FATE bootleg live LP like some people do. And I won't pay 100€ for a tape off eBay (and a demo tape is a fucking demo, so why selling it at an expensive price, be it rare or not?) while not even knowing it's an original or not...

For some of the rarest yet unreleased stuff, I admit that I bought bootlegs while knowing this, but at a regular price.
Gott ist tot.
vansinne

Post by vansinne »

Is the Mercy/Witchburner CD on Keltic Records a bootleg? That guy has a few bootlegs under his belt but the Mercy one is mentioned on an (unofficial) Myspace page and is being sold by TPL.
Shadow Kingdom

Post by Shadow Kingdom »

vansinne wrote:Is the Mercy/Witchburner CD on Keltic Records a bootleg? That guy has a few bootlegs under his belt but the Mercy one is mentioned on an (unofficial) Myspace page and is being sold by TPL.
I heard TPL licensed it to Keltic, so it's legit unless TPL is saying otherwise?
Angelheart

Post by Angelheart »

Mr Nuke wrote:
Shadow Kingdom wrote:Yeah VEGAS CDs is a whole other animal. I don't know the whole story behind him yet, but people are telling me he MOSTLY puts out illegal pressings and on top of that has the nerve to sell CDRs and falsely advertises original pressings for big money on ebay that's either an illegal pressing or a CDR...
I wasn't ware of him until I bought two CDs from him recently. Two of these were supposed to be originals.

One if obviously a bootleg (the printing on the disc itself, the slim paper backtray, etc) and the other is a good full quality CD, but a russian pressing (a CD-Maximum licensed CD it seems).
Well, at least I didn't pay them an expensive price (11$ and 7$ respectively)...

The real problem with these "rereleases" is that it's sometimes hard to see which are legit and which aren't if one's not in the circuit.
And, my advice is, for dubious stuff, the only way to stop this circus is to avoid paying full price or even more for their bootlegs. Even for older bootlegs. I won't pay 100€ for a MERCYFUL FATE bootleg live LP like some people do. And I won't pay 100€ for a tape off eBay (and a demo tape is a fucking demo, so why selling it at an expensive price, be it rare or not?) while not even knowing it's an original or not...

For some of the rarest yet unreleased stuff, I admit that I bought bootlegs while knowing this, but at a regular price.

Vegas auctions = Retrospect records has 90% bootleg cds (some Retrospect releases have asked the bands or whatever).They say that these cds are released by some Spanish label called Strike Force or some other italian label and they describe them as "budget rereleases" or sth.
If u ask them if these are bootlegs ,they tell u "yes it is and don't buy it"!
They produced hundreds of those cds and they make thousands of money by this .
Also ,i see someone comment that Greek fans or sellers are under the shadow of some misleading sellers on ebay or some bootleggers.
I don't agree with that cause it's like saying that German fans or sellers are under the shadow of the Reborn Classics hoax (and we know how this label developed afterwards) or USA fans or sellers are under the shadow of Vegas auctions or whoever and so on.
Those Greek bootlegs are sold from many others around the world (even in the well-known true metal festivals) and all these people are to blame also.
I hope people stop buying those but i am also surprised to see how many people which are ignorant are willing to pay 200 dollars for the bootleg lp of Spider's Lullabye (among others) for example that the same sellers are selling them every week.That should have made them suspicious at least.
Something more: Greek fans and i only talk about them have proved through the years that they are some of the most loyal, well-informed, active and supporting metalheads worldwide.Sometimes i get the feeling reading some comments here that some ignorant people think Greeks metalheads are thieves or whatever. I needed to get this out of my system :)
Shadow Kingdom

Post by Shadow Kingdom »

Shadow Kingdom wrote:
vansinne wrote:Is the Mercy/Witchburner CD on Keltic Records a bootleg? That guy has a few bootlegs under his belt but the Mercy one is mentioned on an (unofficial) Myspace page and is being sold by TPL.
I heard TPL licensed it to Keltic, so it's legit unless TPL is saying otherwise?
I confirmed with TPL that they did indeed license it to Keltic. So even though it's a budget looking release, it's legit.
Ensiferum2k7

Post by Ensiferum2k7 »

Matrix – ODF 3040122
number - 1509

legit?
Reapersgrave

Post by Reapersgrave »

Bootleg to me is fine when it includes unique material, or simple compilation of obscure band who only release demo/7'' ep, what problems are with bootlegs is unlicensed cd/lp version of classic album/rarity made poorly with intent to make money. Things like poor flames of hell cd issue and such which do the original no justice.

I guess I would not mind however if classic albums like that, leather nunn, legend from the fjords etc were reissued on vinyl with justice and care to them and high quality artwork (no pixelation) and clear quality sound and not poor rip/dub of original material. I've a GISM detestation LP which i first thought was licensed reissue but turns out yet another bootleg, but it looks very legit and very well done including nice poster/inserts etc so i have no regrets! Sometimes when band can't/won't reissue their classics and they become rarity, it's nice for newer fans who did not hear about them until later to have an opportunity to hear and enjoy nice quality version without resorting to mp3 or extortion of the ebay prices.
®O©O

Post by ®O©O »

Ensiferum2k7 wrote: legit?
i think it is, legit Axe killer reissue...