Legit, Not Legit, Who Cares?

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
Glockose

Legit, Not Legit, Who Cares?

Post by Glockose »

Sorry for hijacking the thread in "take it or leave it"

So lets start this here.

This is something of a pet peeve for me.

What is out there that is NOT legit and does anyone really care?

Are you going to buy it anyway just to have the music?

And really what does LEGIT even mean to you the fan(collector)?
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

Generally if I see a CD that I know is a bootleg of a vinyl that I know was never released on CD before, and I want it, I will usually buy it if I can't find or afford the original vinyl!
But if I know there is an 'official' CD release I will avoid the bootleg version like the plague.
It doesn't bother me if it's not legit, as long as it hasn't officially been released before.
I generally avoid bootleg LP's unless it's Rush or Venom.
& most of those Reborn Classics bootleg CD's are actually worth collecting.
sovdat

Post by sovdat »

I can't say for vinyls, as I don't really collect / buy those, but for CDs, I go after bootleg if it's the only version of that album on a CD; for example Nothing Sacred, etc. I try my best to avoid those who were (and I also strongly prefer 1st pressings to rereleases). Two things that I really despise are

1) All those f*ckin Greek (mainly) bootlegers, who are doing all those identical bootlegs (I.N.C., Blind Illusion, E-X-E, Agony, Visitor........) and then they're selling them on ebay as "I don't know if this is a 1st press or repress" !! I mean, it would be fine if they did normal bootlegs, with different artwork and stuff, but this really pisses me off ...especially when I see people paying much $$$ for a crappy boots!

2) vegascds (now changed name to themetalkingdom), with all his imaginary Spanish and Italian "imports"; and his other unofficial rereleases. Well screw that, but it really hurts when you see an album which is said to be "Italian import, 2006 rerelease" or something, and there's people still bidding to $100 for what's suppose to be a recent rerelease??? Well, I can't blaim him for this, just the bidder's stupidity :) Anyhow, the most problematic thing about his "rereleases" is the quality, even demos, made at home look better than it . ....
BlackStele

Post by BlackStele »

1) All those f*ckin Greek (mainly) bootlegers, who are doing all those identical bootlegs (I.N.C., Blind Illusion, E-X-E, Agony, Visitor........) and then they're selling them on ebay as "I don't know if this is a 1st press or repress" !! I mean, it would be fine if they did normal bootlegs, with different artwork and stuff, but this really pisses me off ...especially when I see people paying much $$$ for a crappy boots!
I 100% agree with that, but bootlegs are not ok for me in ANY case._
Black signs on my monitor, great bitching and fake words, Avenger is here, the craziest "modest" of all modsss...FTOU!!
LuciferSteele

Post by LuciferSteele »

personally i had no problem buying the Heathens Rage bootleg cd with the demos since i knew there was no chance of a proper release. don't get me wrong, i don't support this whole bootleg thing but if a band shows no sign or willingness into properly releasing its stuff (despite all efforts by labels etc.) and the only way to get the songs is through a bootleg, then i'd buy it.
FINAL AXE
TYRANT
CROSS
ZIONS ABYSS
STEEL PROPHET
SALEM SPADE
KINGS RANSOM
and the story continues...
www.steel-legacy.com
BloodOfChrist

Post by BloodOfChrist »

Pretty much the only stuff Id buy bootlegs of are the things that there is next to no hope of ever obtaining...ever (MILITIA and some others). The only other reason Id buy a bootleg is I couldnt find good sounding mp3s. Theres a lot of stuff that Id really like to at least see (back art, lyrics, inserts) on a lot of obscure metal vinyls that I dont own, but if the band is being ripped off Id rather just hunt for an original. Plus, for me the best thing about getting the originals is being able to check out the liner notes, insert, photos, lyrics etc. If I could just go and get high res scans of everything it would make actually finding the original a lot less satisfying.

One thing that really irritates me is when someone makes a bootleg and does a crappy job. Like the Heathens Rage bootleg "The Years Of Rage". That entire bio was copied-and-pasted from a website and the guy who made the cd didnt even fix the spelling mistakes before printing up the booklets. It doesnt do the music justice at all. Material like that deserves a lot more then some crappy bootleg with a copy-and-pasted bio, made with 128 kbps mp3s of other peoples cassette rips, released without notification or acknowledgement of the band, the writer of the bio, or the person who ripped the material from the original sources.

Another bootleg that gets to me is the LEGEND bootleg. They moved the cover art off center so itll look centered on the front of a cd booklet, and didnt bother to move it back before printing it on the front of LP!
LuciferSteele

Post by LuciferSteele »

identical bootlegs, as stated above, is the worst case imho
this is beyond plain bootleging, the intention is to make you believe you are buying the real thing. blows the top out of the cheat-o-meter
FINAL AXE
TYRANT
CROSS
ZIONS ABYSS
STEEL PROPHET
SALEM SPADE
KINGS RANSOM
www.steel-legacy.com
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Well, i pretty much agree with most of the previous comments. Buying a bootleg is always the last option for me, not that i'd feel empty and incomplete if i don't buy it, just a tiny bit more stylish way than having a sleeveless CDR to add something to your collection. And even in the case when everything else has failed, it still has to be a "decent" bootleg, not any Hot metal 3 on 1 bullshit which shouts on your face "I'm only rare, now pay 15 Euros for me, you fool". Of course i will not buy everything that has no chance of being officially rereleased, only things i really like most. Anyway, i'm always careful and cautious about the whole bootleg phase because it's more about not being cheated and feel like a sucker than supporting the whole circuit or anything else.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
sovdat

Post by sovdat »

Why everyone hates those Hot Metal bootlegs? (Never saw a copy myself, that's why I'm asking)

With "would be fine if they did normal bootlegs" I meant that OK, let there be "normal" bootlegs of $200 worth CDs like first Angel Dust or ADX Terreur / Suprematie, at least you're able to get and listen to them on a CD until you get the real copy and they're clearly bootlegs, no indentical shit involved ;)

BTW, is that Apollo Ra (OPMR 1006) CD legit or not then? Same question for Dark Quarterer (8803014)
Shadow Kingdom

Post by Shadow Kingdom »

I just copies my post from the other thread, minus the part about starting another topic about this.. hahaa.

Yeah VEGAS CDs is a whole other animal. I don't know the whole story behind him yet, but people are telling me he MOSTLY puts out illegal pressings and on top of that has the nerve to sell CDRs and falsely advertises original pressings for big money on ebay that's either an illegal pressing or a CDR... I don't think Unisound is at that level, but it doesn't make it any better for the illegal pressings he's made.

I guess my point is that if the release is legit, we're torn between supporting the band even if they made a bad decision with their choice of label or just boycotting the label no matter what...

I've seen some labels make limited runs of things because like you said the drummer said it was ok or whatever...

Major labels..... some bands don't get paid a dime and get totally screwed... and we could go on and on about every label and every action they make... in the end I always say to try to support a band's decision. That decision has the most weight in my eyes... If a band says they didn't get paid, but they want you to support the release anyway... then should we?

OPM is the right way to run a label.... one of the best around. Top shelf releases, top shelf service. No need to question or worry about the releases made there...
Shadow Kingdom

Post by Shadow Kingdom »

What kills me the most is that if a band will NEVER put out something because they don't care, that was their past, etc... and you make a bootleg and sell it, why on earth are they more expensive than regular CDs? It's because bootleggers are making THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS... and then inturn it becomes an evil spiral and they figure they'll make more and more and more... then where and when will it end?

This day an age, I figure we can all make our own covers, back inserts, etc and just settle for a CDR and stick it in the collection?
AxeCrazy

Post by AxeCrazy »

Shadow Kingdom wrote:This day an age, I figure we can all make our own covers, back inserts, etc and just settle for a CDR and stick it in the collection?
I agree. I've been burned in the past buying bootlegs and will not do it again. You spend lots of money and get a CD where half the tracks are mis-spelled, poor CD pressings, and on some of them, the vinyl that was recorded even skips.

Avoid bootlegs at all costs. If you really want something, just download it and burn a CDR.
LuciferSteele

Post by LuciferSteele »

sovdat wrote:
BTW, is that Apollo Ra (OPMR 1006) CD legit or not then? Same question for Dark Quarterer (8803014)
these two along with the sleepy hollow and steel assassin cds and the vavel lps are official rereleases
FINAL AXE
TYRANT
CROSS
ZIONS ABYSS
STEEL PROPHET
SALEM SPADE
KINGS RANSOM
www.steel-legacy.com
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

LuciferSteele wrote:
sovdat wrote:
these two along with the sleepy hollow and steel assassin cds and the vavel lps are official rereleases
Why/How is Apollo Ra a legit release?
Please explain your statement? thank you
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

If I were a painter and I sold you a painting I did for $100.
And 5 years later you sold that painting to someone for $5000. Should I get that money since I created the painting?

If a song writer puts together a song and sells it to someone else it is no longer theres. The new owner can do whatever they like with it. The original song writer has nothing to do with it anymore SORRY.

That is the world! I didn't make it up, it's just the way it is.

Mike Varney owns everything that was on Shapnel (EVERYTHING) any and all CD's of this stuff that are not on Shrapnel ARE BOOTLEGS and he has been known to take the time to stop it.

For another example and to try and get away from Unisound since when this thread started it really had nothing to do with them.

Old Metal Records DID put out some legit releases but they also did some that were NOT legit.
Last edited by Glockose on Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.