77-79 Style Punk Rock For Corroseum Metalheads

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
doomedplanet

Re: 77-79 Style Punk Rock For Corroseum Metalheads

Post by doomedplanet »

Kraignoss666 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 9:45 pm
Not sure about your request… Would you like more than just songs, but name of records that you could go for?

Today’s suggestion is a live performance from Pure Hell (check their « Noise addiction » reissue, killer release!):

They also recorded a song with Lemmy on the 90ies that is just so great:
This is the Corroseum. I'm expecting to see some actual cds, records, 8-tracks or tapes from folks collections too.
20230530_142621~2.jpg
20230530_142621~2.jpg (1.43 MiB) Viewed 2047 times
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Pure Hell are great, one of those bands so far ahead of their time that it's baffling. I love punk bands like that with complete guitar overkill, such as Sonic's Rendezvous Band, Testors, The New Order etc. Any recommendations in that particular area?
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
Morbid Tapes

Post by Morbid Tapes »

The Dogs (US) - Slash Your Face 7" from 1978 should get a mention.

Kraignoss666

Post by Kraignoss666 »

doomedplanet wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 10:31 pm
This is the Corroseum. I'm expecting to see some actual cds, records, 8-tracks or tapes from folks collections too.
Well, guess it’s the perfect time and place to go for some sense of sick humor (after all, it’s a punk thread):
96B9A220-1989-4FB1-BC62-0702C7B74343.jpeg
96B9A220-1989-4FB1-BC62-0702C7B74343.jpeg (116.91 KiB) Viewed 2018 times
More seriously, I’m quite a newby here, so I’m not too sure about what the Corro DNA is. I’m mostly grateful for all the incredible infos I could find on obscure stuffs. As showing pics of collections, I’m kinda mixed about it. On one side, I just love listening to records on analog black wax and see all those great records on pics, but on the other hand, I sometimes find there is some indecency in the process, and it would be sad if some new comers / younger folks going into obscure music get intimidated by that (if you’re not old and/or fortunate enough, getting those records can look like a rich people hobby, which is a bit far from the spirit of both metal and punk scenes). I’m also considering that music should better be enjoyed than owned, but I’m a paradox-on-legs though (just love digging and finding records…). Anyway, I never had the biggest one (collection or whatever), but here’s a picture to make sure about my collecting credibility 😉
29C795B8-4963-4333-8CF1-FA1BB747FFFC.jpeg
29C795B8-4963-4333-8CF1-FA1BB747FFFC.jpeg (2.48 MiB) Viewed 2018 times
For the rest, The Dogs are great (may share other stuff from other Dogs later), and as for guitar-driven recommendations, I may have a few, but it’s a bit like the NWOBHM movement: many singles around, some killer songs, many fillers as well. And also there may be much more informed people than me, so here’s my humble contribution for today (sadly, their other stuff is not that good):

(please note the piece of shit beginning of the rip…)
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Kraignoss666 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 2:47 pmas for guitar-driven recommendations, I may have a few, but it’s a bit like the NWOBHM movement: many singles around, some killer songs, many fillers as well. And also there may be much more informed people than me, so here’s my humble contribution for today (sadly, their other stuff is not that good)
Thanks for The Mutants track Kraignoss666, that was absolutly the type of thing i was hoping to hear & completely unknown to me. Particularly enjoyed the humorous tease at the start of the solo where the guitarist played those abrupt fast lines as if to say 'i can really really play, but i'm not going to coz i'm punk as fuck'. :D
Kraignoss666

Post by Kraignoss666 »

This one should also fit the Corro crowd (the Crorrowd?), and this time with someone who’s not afraid to make the axe scream:
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Kraignoss666 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:38 pm This one should also fit the Corro crowd (the Crorrowd?), and this time with someone who’s not afraid to make the axe scream:
Yet another good one i didn't know previously, thanks for sharing it. That axeman does indeed seem deceptively 'Normal' in his nice knitted jumper, who'd have guessed by looking that he had this in him?
Kraignoss666

Post by Kraignoss666 »

bigfootkit wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:53 am That axeman does indeed seem deceptively 'Normal' in his nice knitted jumper, who'd have guessed by looking that he had this in him?t
Yep, they are THE Normals, so that shouldn’t be that abnormal…
Ok, this time with other Dogs, also a favorite of mine, one of the greatest french song ever put on a record. Almost private pressing (Mélodie Massacre - such a cool name for a label - put out other great stuffs like the Olivensteins), full energy, amazing guitars and rough to-the-bone, something that should be enjoyed by gentlemen here:
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Kraignoss666 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:24 pm Ok, this time with other Dogs, also a favorite of mine, one of the greatest french song ever put on a record. Almost private pressing (Mélodie Massacre - such a cool name for a label - put out other great stuffs like the Olivensteins), full energy, amazing guitars and rough to-the-bone, something that should be enjoyed by gentlemen here:
Yet another i didn't know, thanks for rectifying that oversight. Exactly my type of thing, & clearly The Hellacopters were taking notes.
Kraignoss666

Post by Kraignoss666 »

More aussie stuff, killer, killer, killer!
Kraignoss666

Post by Kraignoss666 »

For those willing to dig the australian early punk scene without ruining yourself (some stuff sell very high prices), I can’t recommend enough the following records, it’s full of first class material:
A439479A-B267-427C-B5BE-CCCC08F191A3.jpeg
A439479A-B267-427C-B5BE-CCCC08F191A3.jpeg (2.55 MiB) Viewed 1941 times
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Yet again you utterly nailed the sound i love with that Fun Things track. Great stuff.
Morbid Tapes

Post by Morbid Tapes »

This predates the 77-79 era by a few years but it's so ahead of its time it deserves a mention. Belgian single from 1973. Almost sounds like proto-hardcore. I actually found an original copy in the wild in Southern France a few years back. That was before a copy ever sold on Discogs and I got it for really cheap. It was reissued in 2015 but even that one seems hard to find now. There's a new repress supposedly coming out soon-ish on Ancient Grease Records.

Kraignoss666

Post by Kraignoss666 »

bigfootkit wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:14 am Yet again you utterly nailed the sound i love with that Fun Things track. Great stuff.
More likely we share some good tastes :D
I won’t post thousand more things (but a few ones still), as I think the goal of this thread should be to make the connection between the Corroseum sounds and what I consider the equivalent in the punk scene, at least in my world (again, go there: http://www.kbdrecords.com/, thousands mp3 and amazing songs waiting for you).

This time, we’ll go another direction, with the « perfect tone theory », which I also experienced in some Corro stuff: not perfect songs (from a songwriting point of view) that come close to magic with the help of THE perfect guitar/bass tone (do we say drums tone?), or production, or recording, or whatever… So let’s go for a triple post today, relax, enjoy…

(and this last song is almost like Fu Manchu, but in 1978…)
Kraignoss666

Post by Kraignoss666 »

Morbid Tapes wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:56 pm This predates the 77-79 era by a few years but it's so ahead of its time it deserves a mention. Belgian single from 1973. Almost sounds like proto-hardcore. I actually found an original copy in the wild in Southern France a few years back. That was before a copy ever sold on Discogs and I got it for really cheap. It was reissued in 2015 but even that one seems hard to find now. There's a new repress supposedly coming out soon-ish on Ancient Grease Records.

I’m 100% with you, this record is so proto-everything! The Belgian rock scene has indeed very much to offer both in metal and punk.