CULT OF THE UNDERDOG Podcast : Episode 11 Now Available!

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
bigfootkit

CULT OF THE UNDERDOG Podcast : Episode 11 Now Available!

Post by bigfootkit »

CULT OF THE UNDERDOG
Episode 11 : Hang Tough (Jun 2023)

This episode of 'Cult Of The Underdog' was brought to you by the letter F & the numbers 6, 6 & 6.
Cult Of The Underdog is sponsored by Paracetamol, the most effective non-opioid painkiller on the market today.
All stunts were performed by trained professionals & should not be attempted at home.
No animals were harmed during the making of this production.
'Hang Tough' was filmed before a live studio audience in living colour.
© MMXXIII
Up next; Jack & the girls have to find a good excuse to avoid spending a boring night in at the Ropers', in all-new 'Three's Company'...

If you missed any of the previous episodes you can catch up here:
https://www.mixcloud.com/bigfootkit/
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
Noisenik

Re: CULT OF THE UNDERDOG Podcast : Episode 11 Now Available!

Post by Noisenik »

Another batch of songs I don't know. Except...

RECKLESS - Victim Of Time

HELLCATS - You Make It Swell
I am ... the One you warned me of
Kraignoss666

Post by Kraignoss666 »

I’m still late on the past couple episodes, too much kids and not enough arms…
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Noisenik wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 12:24 pm Another batch of songs I don't know. Except...RECKLESS - Victim Of Time HELLCATS - You Make It Swell
I'm always surprised at what's identified first, it so rarely seems to be the ones i think are most 'obvious'. A fine start & i'm sure more songs will reveal themselves to you on the 2nd listen.
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

unfortunately I-got-no-nothin!
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

doomedplanet wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 5:01 pm unfortunately I-got-no-nothin!
That's not possible, you always spot something. You must have been distracted or under the weather, i'm sure a 2nd play will reveal more.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

bigfootkit wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 12:46 am
Noisenik wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 12:24 pm Another batch of songs I don't know. Except...RECKLESS - Victim Of Time HELLCATS - You Make It Swell
I'm always surprised at what's identified first, it so rarely seems to be the ones i think are most 'obvious'. A fine start & i'm sure more songs will reveal themselves to you on the 2nd listen.
A while ago, I wanted to listen to Danger Zone on yt. But lazy bone as I am, I only typed victim of time. Reckless were the first hit and I gave em a try. Not DZ but they didn't sound bad. Hellcats were sidefind from Starz searches as they are related.

Btw. The last track is

HYDRA - Land of Money
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Noisenik wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:02 pm A while ago, I wanted to listen to Danger Zone on yt. But lazy bone as I am, I only typed victim of time. Reckless were the first hit and I gave em a try. Not DZ but they didn't sound bad. Hellcats were sidefind from Starz searches as they are related.
Btw. The last track is
HYDRA - Land of Money
Weirdly, although i already had a rip of the 1st Reckless album, it may have been exactly that same set of circumstances that really brought that particular song to my attention initially too. :lol:
I remember i was initially a little disappointed when i first heard Hellcats, but over the years i came to really enjoy their Mini LP. The bass player's got a really individual technique & 'You Make It Swell' really shows it off to good effect, and those great angular ascending/descending riffs from RR in that track kill too alongside his more typical melodic style.
And yes, that 2nd last track is Hydra indeed, (yet more Starz connections through bassist Orville Davis, who joined Starz in time for 'Coliseum Rock' after playing alongside Michael Lee Smith's brother for 2 LPs in the band Rex).
Morbid Tapes

Post by Morbid Tapes »

PAGANS - What's This Shit Called Love? (at 33:28)
Kraignoss666

Post by Kraignoss666 »

That « Let’s take a chance » track is ace, kinda Grim Reaperesque, but I don’t know who’s behind it… So much great stuff, as usual, thanx!
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

bigfootkit wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 12:47 am
doomedplanet wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 5:01 pm unfortunately I-got-no-nothin!
That's not possible, you always spot something. You must have been distracted or under the weather, i'm sure a 2nd play will reveal more.
The track at around 14 minutes tickled my cerebral cortex somewhat. For a minute I was thinking ESTRELLA DE MARZO from Bolivia, but a quick check on that album reveals several tracks that are much heavier but not the band in your podcast.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Morbid Tapes wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:37 am PAGANS - What's This Shit Called Love? (at 33:28)
Well spotted, I always loved the humorously mangled opening lyric in that one; 'Saw it in books, Read it on T.V....' :D
Here's what's been identified so far, about a quarter of the tracks. If they're around, Khnud & tbieri will likely sniff out several more:

01. Baltik - Leslie Briggs (Cult Of The Underdog Theme) (from the 'Baltik' LP (1973))
03. Reckless - Victim Of Time (from the 'Reckless' LP (1980))
12. Pagans - What's This Shit Called Love? (from the 'Street Where Nobody Lives' 7" (1978))
13. Hellcats - You Make It Swell (from the 'Hellcats' Mini LP (1982))
17. Headswim - Soup (from the 'Flood' LP (1994))
18. Hydra - Land Of Money (from the 'Land Of Money' LP (1975))
doomedplanet wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:45 pmThe track at around 14 minutes tickled my cerebral cortex somewhat. For a minute I was thinking ESTRELLA DE MARZO from Bolivia, but a quick check on that album reveals several tracks that are much heavier but not the band in your podcast.

You of course nailed the correct language & era, but looked at the wrong continent. That's not even a very helpful clue i'm afraid, as it's a pretty obscure band & release.
Kraignoss666 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:22 pmThat « Let’s take a chance » track is ace, kinda Grim Reaperesque, but I don’t know who’s behind it…
That one is South American, though again i'm not very helping much as it seems to be little known.
Last edited by bigfootkit on Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

bigfootkit wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:54 am
Morbid Tapes wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:37 am PAGANS - What's This Shit Called Love? (at 33:28)
Well spotted, I always loved the humorously mangled opening lyric in that one; 'Saw it in books, Read it on T.V....' :D
doomedplanet wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:45 pmThe track at around 14 minutes tickled my cerebral cortex somewhat. For a minute I was thinking ESTRELLA DE MARZO from Bolivia, but a quick check on that album reveals several tracks that are much heavier but not the band in your podcast.

You of course nailed the correct language & era, but looked at the wrong continent. That's not even a very helpful clue i'm afraid, as it's a pretty obscure band & release.
Kraignoss666 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:22 pmThat « Let’s take a chance » track is ace, kinda Grim Reaperesque, but I don’t know who’s behind it…
That one is South American, though again i'm not very helping much as it seems to be little known.

I gather the spanish track is from Phillipines, but it is hopelessly obscure. I guess a song with 'Let's take a chance' chorus is by a certain Brasilian band, again terrifyingly obscure. I wonder who is gal+band after drug deeler's offering "nose candy"? Horror flick accompaniement meets swinging parts in a best Blue Öyster Cult/Doors manner. I smell huge discovery here. Yet I have found "the grunge track":

HEADSWIM - 'Soup' off their 1994 "Flood" album.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Noisenik wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:41 pm I gather the spanish track is from Phillipines, but it is hopelessly obscure. I guess a song with 'Let's take a chance' chorus is by a certain Brasilian band, again terrifyingly obscure. I wonder who is gal+band after drug deeler's offering "nose candy"? Horror flick accompaniement meets swinging parts in a best Blue Öyster Cult/Doors manner. I smell huge discovery here. Yet I have found "the grunge track": HEADSWIM - 'Soup' off their 1994 "Flood" album.
The Spanish song is hopelessly obscure but not from the Phillipines, sometimes unicorns are just horses. The 'Let's Take A Chance' song isn't Brazilian either. That male/female vocals 'Blue Öyster Cult/Doors' band's lone LP to me wasn't great overall, so maybe revise your expectations, but that particular song really stuck with me coz of the doomy descending riff & chorus contrasting with those breezy boogie verses. Yes, that's 'Soup' by Headswim, (tracklist updated), a band i really liked 'til they decided to become Radiohead on the album after 'Flood'. They'd started out as an odd quasi-Proggy band called Blinder in the dying days of the NWoBHM & released 3 singles under that name before reinventing themselves as the far heavier & hugely improved Headswim.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

bigfootkit wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:07 am
Noisenik wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:41 pm I gather the spanish track is from Phillipines, but it is hopelessly obscure. I guess a song with 'Let's take a chance' chorus is by a certain Brasilian band, again terrifyingly obscure. I wonder who is gal+band after drug deeler's offering "nose candy"? Horror flick accompaniement meets swinging parts in a best Blue Öyster Cult/Doors manner. I smell huge discovery here. Yet I have found "the grunge track": HEADSWIM - 'Soup' off their 1994 "Flood" album.
The Spanish song is hopelessly obscure but not from the Phillipines, sometimes unicorns are just horses. The 'Let's Take A Chance' song isn't Brazilian either. That male/female vocals 'Blue Öyster Cult/Doors' band's lone LP to me wasn't great overall, so maybe revise your expectations, but that particular song really stuck with me coz of the doomy descending riff & chorus contrasting with those breezy boogie verses. Yes, that's 'Soup' by Headswim, (tracklist updated), a band i really liked 'til they decided to become Radiohead on the album after 'Flood'. They'd started out as an odd quasi-Proggy band called Blinder in the dying days of the NWoBHM & released 3 singles under that name before reinventing themselves as the far heavier & hugely improved Headswim.
So "the spanish song" this time hails from Spain, "the english song from South America" is then either from Falkland Islands or Guyana.

Thanks for the typ on revising expectations regarding the song that strucked me at first listening, you are probably right.

The vocals on intermission song remind me of Chris Cornell and there's a "religious" song on here as well. Actually all featured songs are excellent. How about you wouldn't disclose 'em at all? We could listen to them until the end of the world.