The Rare Heavy Metal reviews archive - general updates

Discussions and comments on The Corroseum website, its articles, features and reviews.
Noisenik

Re: 1895 old reviews have been added to The Corroseum

Post by Noisenik »

+ 1

:D
I am ... the One you warned me of
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

OK, it's on. Ive been trying a few tricks but this proved slightly more complicated than I expected. (Did I mention I'm ALWAYS looking out for fellow Metalheads with some php/mysqli-skillz to act as support?)
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

DaN wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:23 pm (Did I mention I'm ALWAYS looking out for fellow Metalheads with some php/mysqli-skillz to act as support?)
Yes, I remember you did.

Reg. mysql I am beginner's beginner. I am studying it (when enough time) for job's sake, exclusively for databases. Maybe in a few years...

I am almost certain that some members have certain degree of informatics know-how, dunno if precisely in this "bereich".
I am ... the One you warned me of
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

wicked keeper

Post by wicked keeper »

Terry Batu from Cobra/Target was still playing around the traps down here a few years ago as a solo act, dunno what kind of music it was or if he's still going.......

Edit: Just found these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1I9KZgdAYs ( :lol: )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eC5XDKd2BBI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9TdfgdpMqI

https://www.funnellentertainment.com.au/terry-batu

https://terrybatu.com/

https://canterbury.com.au/event/terry-batu/
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

The Corroseum wrote:I recently got an interesting request concerning the Rare Metal reviews archive: What if you could browse the database year by year? I've toyed around with the idea before, but never got around to actually fix the code for it - until now!
Inspired by an email request - hope you find it useful. I'm also working with a Reviewer-filter, hopefully added soon.

Edit: There might actually be a fair amount of errors in the year-of-release column - esp from the old Metalpage reivews - so all corrections are welcome.
DaN
Administructor

Re: The Rare Heavy Metal reviews archive - general updates

Post by DaN »

Another functional update that I've been wanting to do for years, but didn't find the time for until now:

You can now select reviews from the archive according to writer, including everyone* who's ever contributed with reviews for Metal Treasures, The Metalpage and The Corroseum. This can be done either from the drop-down menue at the main page, or by simply clicking the name/s at the bottom of each review.

* = technically everyone who's written 3 or more reviews..
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Not the Main, but hand-on-heart probably the 2nd reason I wanted to hunt down this US Metal classic was because it was strangely missing in the old Metalpage legacy archive. How bloody cool that it turned out to be an absolute Pearl of ye olde (19-bloody-84) US Power Metal then!

No vinyl rip this time since CMC recently reissued it. I'm however genuinly curious about The Elite's opinion about this one. It's so seldom that I've seen it discussed through the years and I can't really understand why - PERFECT olde US Steel, plain & simple.

Khnud

Post by Khnud »

I like it a lot, but I'm kinda sad because my copy got mangled in the mail a long time ago.
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Hadn't listened to the Vice EP in several years & remembered it being solid but unspectacular, however hearing it now those 2 songs on the B-Side are killer. Both have very memorable riffs & hooks and i love the way 'Feel The Fire' delibrately speeds up & slows down, that stuff's not easy to do. The bass player's brief piece of showing off towards the end of 'Stalker' makes me smile too, even though his tone's a bit lukewarm.
The A-side's songs aren't nearly as strong to my ears, far more run-of-the-mill musically with little variety in the pace. I don't really like where the singer's placed his vocals on these songs either, but overall the EP's better than i'd recalled.
I've got so many bands called Vice in the ole archives (5 or 6 i think), that i'm sure my memory of this particular record was likely clouded by misplaced recollections of one of their namesakes.
And i absolutely concur with your thoughts on the cover art DaN, perfectly nail-on-the-head content-wise & rendered with aplomb. The only way it might have been improved would have been with the inclusion of a naked barbarian gal with her modesty covered by the logo band. Just to tie in with the band name you understand, and not at all because at heart i'm a 12 year old boy trapped in a 53 year old body. :lol:
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
tbieri

Post by tbieri »

VICE is great! One of the rare ones i needed fast after hearing it for the first time!
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Cheers for the feedback guys!
Agree w/ 'kit about the B-sides - they're way better than what bands usually put on the flip of EPs. I do like the A speedsters a lot though, since, well, it's really early Speed Metal so the spirit is there 100%. Playing faster than Those 3 Other Bands In Town = Extreme Overlords Of Steel in those days, and that vibe carries through the decades despite any potential lack of originality..