70's-early-80's Hard Rock singles from former Yugoslavia.

Share rare mp3s with forum members. PLZ READ UPDATE!
bigfootkit

Re: 70's-early-80's Hard Rock singles from former Yugoslavia.

Post by bigfootkit »

DaN wrote:@bigfootkit:
Well spotted with that Wild Turkey tune. I'd say this is a case of pure 'riff-off', since the song structure is very different and there's no other credits than the band members on the label.
I think you're being more than a little kind to Tetrapak in this instance, it sounds to me like they just dropped the acoustic parts from 'Battle hymn', wrote their own lyrics (or translated the originals) and passed it off as their own work. The Yugoslavian Led Zep? Still rocks mind, and that's the main thing.
I loved both sides of Drugi Nacin's 'Dugi Put' 45, terrific stuff, and right up my street. Some really nice harmony guitars on the A-Side, and is that a little mellotron lurking under the flute melody too?
The B-Side of the second single is pretty nice too, but 'Jugoslavija' tested my patience a bit.
I was less convinced by Grupa Bob, but there were parts of both of their tracks that i liked.
Many thanks for taking the time to rip & upload them DaN, it's very much appreciated. Looking forward to further installments.
Thank you Doomed Planet for finding that original 70s Yugo thread. Unfortunately most of the youtube links on it are now dead, so i'll upload the Nirvana & Grupa SOS 45's that we discussed there in this thread later for the benefit of anyone who missed them.
Apoligies to all troo-cvlt types for despoiling the Corroseum with my enthusiastic discussion of mellotrons & flutes.
My metal credibility is no doubt in tatters now.
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

The Wild turkey rip off is direct. Pretty much love the whole of "Battle Hymn" (a couple of weak tracks sort of drag it down a notch, but..), a sort of 70's standard here at my place.

Drugi Nacin '75 single is really good. Didn't check the rest yet.

Bigfootkit, have you heard Tomorrow's Gift 1970 Hamburg. A bit off topic for this thread but I think if you don't know this album you shall love it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1BSzxm1LvE

I only discovered it last week.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

As promised, here are all 3 Grupa SOS 45s and a little biographical info on the band, along with the lone release by Nirvana, on whom i could find very little background save for their line up.
The 1st Grupa SOS 45 isn't quite there yet, but there's some nice upfront cowbell and a very Ace Frehley-esque guitar solo to make up for that, whilst their other two releases are absolute proto-killers in my opinion.
(I haven't included the awful Zajedno & SOS 7" as i refuse to acknowledge that it exists, such is it's utter tedium.)
Best of all is the Nirvana 45, which is a pretty unique blend of driving Heavy Rock and proggy/jazzy flourishes. In places it could almost be described as a precursor to Maiden's early sound, but with oddball jazzy time signatures keeping it nicely off-kilter.
Enjoy.

GRUPA SOS - Nestvaran San 7" (1973)
PGP RTB Records S 51627

01. Nestvaran San
02. Stari Sat

GRUPA SOS - Tražim 7" (1974)
PGP RTB Records S 51647

01. Tražim
02. Magnovenje

GRUPA SOS - Čovek I Pčela 7" (1975)
PGP RTB Records S 51698

01. Čovek I Pčela
02. Znam Kako Je

GRUPA SOS were a Yugoslavian rock band active from 1972-1978.
The band's original line up was Miroslav Aleksić Miša - Vocals & Bass, Dragan Štulović Štuks - Guitar & Stevan Stevanović Stiv - Drums.
Their first single 'Nestvaran San' was released by PGP RTB Records in 1973, and was followed in 1974 by a 2nd 45, 'Tražim'.
A 3rd 7" 'Čovek I Pčela' emerged in 1975, before the band's final release which found them backing folk band ZAJEDNO on the 'O Ruk, Ćale' single.
1977 saw Miroslav Aleksić Miša as the sole remaining member of the band after Štuks & Stiv left the group. Stiv would go on to join Srđan & later became a member of Tunel.
Miša decided to carry on the Grupa SOS name, and recruited Guitarist Radislav Kojić Rajko & Drummer Miroslav Milatović Vicko to the band.
This version of Grupa SOS carried the name on until 1978 without releasing anything else, before all three members formed a new band RIBLJA ČORBA with Borisav Đorđević Bora joining to expand the band to a quartet.
Riblja Čorba became very popular and were also incredibly prolific, releasing 28 albums between 1978 and 2012.
They remain active today with another Eastern European Tour lined up for Summer 2015.

NIRVANA - Duh 7" (1975)
PGP RTB Records S 51714

01. Duh
02. Kome Da Kažem

NIRVANA :
Krešimir Šoštar - Guitar
Tomas Krkač - Bass
Zdravko Štimac - Drums

All 4 singles in one rar:

https://1fichier.com/?2e6r5so4jx

no pw
Last edited by bigfootkit on Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

doomedplanet wrote:Bigfootkit, have you heard Tomorrow's Gift 1970 Hamburg. A bit off topic for this thread but I think if you don't know this album you shall love it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1BSzxm1LvE

I only discovered it last week.
Many thanks for the tip DoomedPlanet, i'll check that out.
I do recognize the album cover but i've never investigated it as i had somehow got the impression that it was pop-folk-rock type of thing for some reason. You've seldom (if ever) steered me wrong, so i'll definitely give it a go on your say so.
Absolutely agree with you about that Wild Turkey album too, it's only 2 or 3 great songs short of being a proper classic LP, but i come back to it time & time again regardless, as it often fits my mood perfectly.
Funnily enough, I was just reading an AC/DC biography recently (Maximum Rock 'n' Roll) and was surprised to read that Gary Pickford-Hopkins of Wild Turkey was in the frame for the singers job after Bon Scott's death and came pretty close, being asked back for 2 further auditions after his initial try out.
It could all have been very different but for the fickle finger of fate.
Ernest Thesiger

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

Much appreciated.
"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Ernest Thesiger wrote:
Much appreciated.
As always Ernest, you're very welcome.
DoomedPlanet, thanks again for the tip regarding Tomorrow's Gift.
Some very unusual arrangements on there, and musically it's really good stuff, but those vocals do put me off somewhat.
The singer might grow on me in time though, so i'll definitely persevere with it.
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

Yeah it is kind of in the vein of Frumpy if that is your thing. I'm always surprised when I come across some unheard album like this and it is good, especially with that crappy photo cover leaving you to believe otherwise...
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

doomedplanet wrote:Yeah it is kind of in the vein of Frumpy if that is your thing.
Thank you! I knew TG reminded me a bit of another band, just couldn't think who.
It was starting to annoy me that i couldn't put my finger on it.
sovdat

Post by sovdat »

Yugoslav hard rock and heavy metal discography 1980-1989 book was released a couple of days ago. Can't comment on quality as don't have the book (yet), but I suppose some Corroseum folks might dig it. Price is 25 eur + shipping, order at ilke.metal@gmx.net

bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

sovdat wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:44 am Yugoslav hard rock and heavy metal discography 1980-1989 book was released a couple of days ago. Can't comment on quality as don't have the book (yet), but I suppose some Corroseum folks might dig it. Price is 25 eur + shipping, order at ilke.metal@gmx.net

Wonderfully OTT cover illustration!
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

sovdat wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:44 am Yugoslav hard rock and heavy metal discography 1980-1989 book was released a couple of days ago. Can't comment on quality as don't have the book (yet), but I suppose some Corroseum folks might dig it. Price is 25 eur + shipping, order at ilke.metal@gmx.net

Inquiry sent. Dilemma: Should I act straight or wait that you receive it? Pm sent.
I am ... the One you warned me of
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

Is it written in english?
It's not easy to be the Antichrist ...
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

Well, I've contacted Dejan. The band info is written in his language (croation?), the basic info of the records in english.
Those 25 Euro price of the book did incl. free shipping to Germany. I told him to consider to write band info in english too. I guess there are alot of guys who'd like to get it in english (incl. myself) to know more about the bands and he said that he'd think about it, but his english wouldn't be the best for that sake. So Noisie, I guess it will be your part to translate the whole shit ... we want english band info. :D
It's not easy to be the Antichrist ...
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Prowler wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:23 pmWell, I've contacted Dejan. The band info is written in his language (croation?), the basic info of the records in english.
Those 25 Euro price of the book did incl. free shipping to Germany. I told him to consider to write band info in english too. I guess there are alot of guys who'd like to get it in english (incl. myself) to know more about the bands and he said that he'd think about it, but his english wouldn't be the best for that sake. So Noisie, I guess it will be your part to translate the whole shit ... we want english band info. :D
Ya know Prowler, in fact I may be insane enough to take that over. Of course, only in case Dejan would agree.
I am ... the One you warned me of
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Noisenik wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:15 am
Prowler wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:23 pmWell, I've contacted Dejan. The band info is written in his language (croation?), the basic info of the records in english.
Ya know Prowler, in fact I may be insane enough to take that over. Of course, only in case Dejan would agree.
Just wondering if an English translation ever came to pass? (And hoping that bumping this thread might inspire some fresh uploads from this area of exploration).