Bands to collect next to Manilla Road, Cirith Ungol, Brocas Helm

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
doomedplanet

Re: Bands to collect next to Manilla Road, Cirith Ungol, Brocas Helm

Post by doomedplanet »

doomedplanet wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:49 pm
bigfootkit wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:52 am
Priamos wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:47 pm

I only own and have listened "Death walks..." but I can't remember any obvious similarities with C.U. Can you post a specific sample, to see your point?
PS. Listening to the sametitled (DWBY) right now, under this perception, I can see it as potential CU influence in general.
I wasn't thinking of a specific song really, more his general tone, though it's probably less obvious in Atomic Rooster because they were so keyboard-heavy. Because Rooster were without a bass player DuCann was essentially competing with the keyboards twice as Vincent Crane played the 'basslines' with his left hand & did the chords & soloing with his right, meaning DuCann had to be downright murky/grungy on the riffs in order to blend in with the keys then often quite shrill to cut through on the soloing. Although they were different stylistically, Cirith Ungol used a comparible tonal style to perform a similar function. On headphones, you get a better idea of what DuCann's doing on the AR stuff & hopefully see what i meant, or this 1970 live performance from 'Beat Club' may do the job:

thank you so much for this Roooster Beat club video. I just had a cerebral orgasm. I have to rush but I think I need to listen to this a few times, simply blew me away. AR one of my favorite bands any genre, they "Death Walks" is part of my holy trinity of 70's rock.
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

bigfootkit wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:23 am
doomedplanet wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:49 pm thank you so much for this Roooster Beat club video. I just had a cerebral orgasm. I have to rush but I think I need to listen to this a few times, simply blew me away. ARis one of my favorite bands any genre, their "Death Walks" is part of my holy trinity of 70's rock.
:lol: Glad it brought you such joy! I'm guessing/hoping 'rub' was autocorrect for 'rush'? :lol:
For a band who had quite a lot of commercial success in their heyday they always seem to get strangely overlooked when that era is talked about nowadays.
Yeah I fixed that :lol: Had to leave and go mow a lawn do didn't even notice that. That Beat Club footage simply smokes. I found some other AR footage too that I had not know about but none of it was as intense as this footage. Yes they were quite popular back in the day but now only us old "heavy heads" are really listening to them still.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

doomedplanet wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:12 pm
bigfootkit wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:23 am
doomedplanet wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:49 pm thank you so much for this Roooster Beat club video. I just had a cerebral orgasm. I have to rush but I think I need to listen to this a few times, simply blew me away. ARis one of my favorite bands any genre, their "Death Walks" is part of my holy trinity of 70's rock.
:lol: Glad it brought you such joy! I'm guessing/hoping 'rub' was autocorrect for 'rush'? :lol:
For a band who had quite a lot of commercial success in their heyday they always seem to get strangely overlooked when that era is talked about nowadays.
Yeah I fixed that :lol: Had to leave and go mow a lawn do didn't even notice that. That Beat Club footage simply smokes. I found some other AR footage too that I had not know about but none of it was as intense as this footage. Yes they were quite popular back in the day but now only us old "heavy heads" are really listening to them still.
:lol: I thought so, but it's nice to have that clarified. :lol:
Yeah, they were most definitely 'on' when that footage was recorded, right at the peak of their powers. There's quite a bit of film out there of the Made In England/Nice & Greasy era, but not too much of the earlier line ups unfortunately.
On a side note, did Vincent Crane perhaps introduce the studded wristband to Heavy Rock fashion? Perhaps someone else beat him to it but I can't think of an earlier example of someone in a band wearing them. Quite an early sighting of headbanging abandon too.
I know you're not too much of a fan of cover versions, but The Atomic Bitchwax did a pretty creditable version of 'Play The Game', which you might enjoy. In their hands it sounds like a lost Mystick Krewe Of Clearlight song.
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

bigfootkit wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:52 amI wasn't thinking of a specific song really, more his general tone, though it's probably less obvious in Atomic Rooster because they were so keyboard-heavy. Because Rooster were without a bass player DuCann was essentially competing with the keyboards twice as Vincent Crane played the 'basslines' with his left hand & did the chords & soloing with his right, meaning DuCann had to be downright murky/grungy on the riffs in order to blend in with the keys then often quite shrill to cut through on the soloing. Although they were different stylistically, Cirith Ungol used a comparible tonal style to perform a similar function. On headphones, you get a better idea of what DuCann's doing on the AR stuff & hopefully see what i meant, or this 1970 live performance from 'Beat Club' may do the job:

Holy crap! How Mr. Crane (gang)banged this Hammond (organ). Mr. DuCann and Mr. Hammond shine as well. Killer trio. Thanks for reminder, Graham! AR should be a content of some of yr future mixtapes, btw.
I am ... the One you warned me of
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Noisenik wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:31 pm AR should be a content of some of yr future mixtapes, btw.
Great minds think alike! (Fools seldom differ? :lol:) I've had a very specific off-the-beaten-track Rooster item in mind for just that purpose for a while, but it's buried somewhere on a CD-r or HD at the moment. It will turn up sooner or later.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

I've been on a bit of a Rooster kick the last few days & whilst looking into their nightmare of a discography discovered that Repertoire recently put out a collection called 'On Air' which is a 2-CD/1 DVD set containing all of the Beat Club footage in both audio & video, all 5 tracks fom Belgian TV's 'Pop Shop' in both formats & their '72 set from the Paris Theatre in London as recorded by the BBC for their 'In Concert' programme (audio only).
Unfortunately, aside from 3 or 4 songs from Beat Club, this is a later version of the band without DuCann or Hammond in the line up, so i'll likely pass on it, but i thought i'd mention it after the enthusiastic reception that video had gotten here.

https://www.discogs.com/release/1286510 ... nsmissions
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

bigfootkit wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:28 am I've been on a bit of a Rooster kick the last few days & whilst looking into their nightmare of a discography discovered that Repertoire recently put out a collection called 'On Air' which is a 2-CD/1 DVD set containing all of the Beat Club footage in both audio & video, all 5 tracks fom Belgian TV's 'Pop Shop' in both formats & their '72 set from the Paris Theatre in London as recorded by the BBC for their 'In Concert' programme (audio only).
Unfortunately, aside from 3 or 4 songs from Beat Club, this is a later version of the band without DuCann or Hammond in the line up, so i'll likely pass on it, but i thought i'd mention it after the enthusiastic reception that video had gotten here.

I have this coming for a birthday gift, looked it up last week but never looped back here to mention the release. I like the post 'Death Walks" versions of Atomic Rooster so I'm really looking forward to all of it. With the loss of DuCann from the lineup AR became something different but I've been listening to this era too so long too. That might have been the curse of Atomic Rooster: they never had a stable lineup so the sound really did bring in different elements on every album. Whether this was good or bad is up to the listener.
For anyone that likes DuCann, on the other hand, owes it to themselves to track down this release:
https://www.discogs.com/release/5138203 ... A3MTkyODA=
b.jpg
b.jpg (141.61 KiB) Viewed 3159 times
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

doomedplanet wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:56 pm
bigfootkit wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:28 am I've been on a bit of a Rooster kick the last few days & whilst looking into their nightmare of a discography discovered that Repertoire recently put out a collection called 'On Air' which is a 2-CD/1 DVD set containing all of the Beat Club footage in both audio & video, all 5 tracks fom Belgian TV's 'Pop Shop' in both formats & their '72 set from the Paris Theatre in London as recorded by the BBC for their 'In Concert' programme (audio only).

I have this coming for a birthday gift, looked it up last week but never looped back here to mention the release. I like the post 'Death Walks" versions of Atomic Rooster so I'm really looking forward to all of it. With the loss of DuCann from the lineup AR became something different but I've been listening to this era too so long too. That might have been the curse of Atomic Rooster: they never had a stable lineup so the sound really did bring in different elements on every album. Whether this was good or bad is up to the listener.
A very happy birthday to you doomedplanet. I recently picked up the 'On Air' Rose Tattoo set which Repertoire put together with their BBC/Beat Club audio/video content and the label did a great job wih it, the material contained never looked or sounded better with a nice well researched booklet too, so i'm guessing the AR set will be of the same exemplary standard.
I don't exactly dislike the post DuCann Rooster material, but when hovering over my AR collection i inevitably plump for the 1st 3 albums over the later stuff. If they'd used a different band name i may have viewed the records stuff more favouably as there are still great individual tracks, such as their version of Ton Ton Macoute's 'Voodoo In You', but for me those LPs are less cohesive than their predecessors were.
As for 'the curse of Atomic Rooster', with Crane's mental health problems & Hammond's alcoholism cutting both ther lives so tragically short & the constant personnel changes throughout the group's lifespan(s), i'm tempted to say it's probably more of a miracle that they were able to make the impact they did when the group & many of those who passed through it were so dysfunctional. All that considered i tend to look at their story as one of brief but glorious victories snatched from the jaws of defeat.
As an interesting wee trivial aside, despite living for just 45 years, Vincent Crane was one of a very small band of musicians to have top 20 chart success in both the UK singles & album charts across 3 decades with 3 different acts. Crazy World Of Arthur Brown, Atomic Rooster & (er) Dexy's Midnight Runners. Who knows what else he might have achieved had he lived longer.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

DaN wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:37 pm Recently I started adding Special Selections-buttons to the Rare Metal Archive on the site, including rare Doom, Thrash, Satanic bands etc... This thread inspired me to perhaps make an "Epic Metal"-selection as well ...stay tuned 8)
Button now added: https://thecorroseum.org/rev/index.php? ... earch#list
Please help me find titles in the database that's missing the "Epic" tag :)
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

bigfootkit wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:19 am
doomedplanet wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:56 pm

A very happy birthday to you doomedplanet. I recently picked up the 'On Air' Rose Tattoo set which Repertoire put together with their BBC/Beat Club audio/video content and the label did a great job wih it, the material contained never looked or sounded better with a nice well researched booklet too, so i'm guessing the AR set will be of the same exemplary standard.
I don't exactly dislike the post DuCann Rooster material, but when hovering over my AR collection i inevitably plump for the 1st 3 albums over the later stuff. If they'd used a different band name i may have viewed the records stuff more favouably as there are still great individual tracks, such as their version of Ton Ton Macoute's 'Voodoo In You', but for me those LPs are less cohesive than their predecessors were.
As for 'the curse of Atomic Rooster', with Crane's mental health problems & Hammond's alcoholism cutting both ther lives so tragically short & the constant personnel changes throughout the group's lifespan(s), i'm tempted to say it's probably more of a miracle that they were able to make the impact they did when the group & many of those who passed through it were so dysfunctional. All that considered i tend to look at their story as one of brief but glorious victories snatched from the jaws of defeat.
As an interesting wee trivial aside, despite living for just 45 years, Vincent Crane was one of a very small band of musicians to have top 20 chart success in both the UK singles & album charts across 3 decades with 3 different acts. Crazy World Of Arthur Brown, Atomic Rooster & (er) Dexy's Midnight Runners. Who knows what else he might have achieved had he lived longer.

I can report back that the video footage on the DVD looks just incredible, far superior than what is up on youtube. Worth every penny in my opinion just for having that in a permanent format.. Been on a bit of a DuCann kick lately with Andromeda/AR/Bullet & Hard Stuff all getting a spin lately.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

doomedplanet wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:33 pm I can report back that the video footage on the DVD looks just incredible, far superior than what is up on youtube. Worth every penny in my opinion just for having that in a permanent format.. Been on a bit of a DuCann kick lately with Andromeda/AR/Bullet & Hard Stuff all getting a spin lately.
Glad to hear it lived up to your hopes. I'd suspected it would as the Beat Club people seem to have invested some time & resources restoring their archives over recent years & Repertoire tend to go the extra mile in making sure their packaging etc enhances the content. I'm guessing this 'On Air' sries is gonna continue as long as they can find material that merits the same treatment, so i'll have to keep an eye out to see what else they come up with as the Rose Tattoo set they did was a very worthwhile purchase. I never really put in the time to get into early DuCann (Andromeda, 5 Day Week..., Attack etc.), which is something i should probably remedy. Was anything from his short Thin Lizzy stint ever captured for posterity?
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

bigfootkit wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:47 am
Glad to hear it lived up to your hopes. I'd suspected it would as the Beat Club people seem to have invested some time & resources restoring their archives over recent years & Repertoire tend to go the extra mile in making sure their packaging etc enhances the content. I'm guessing this 'On Air' sries is gonna continue as long as they can find material that merits the same treatment, so i'll have to keep an eye out to see what else they come up with as the Rose Tattoo set they did was a very worthwhile purchase. I never really put in the time to get into early DuCann (Andromeda, 5 Day Week..., Attack etc.), which is something i should probably remedy. Was anything from his short Thin Lizzy stint ever captured for posterity?
Earliest DuCann I've heard is Andromeda but I suggest giving a listen. Excellent UK hard psych with some true gems on their album, if nothing else this should say quite a lot:
20220814_210657~2.jpg
20220814_210657~2.jpg (1.14 MiB) Viewed 3018 times
If there exist any Lizzy recordings with him I have not come across one.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

doomedplanet wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:11 am Earliest DuCann I've heard is Andromeda but I suggest giving a listen. Excellent UK hard psych with some true gems on their album, if nothing else this should say quite a lot:

20220814_210657~2.jpg

If there exist any Lizzy recordings with him I have not come across one.
I'll definitely give them another go. When i heard them previously i was probably hoping for something that reminded me of Rooster & as that wasn't immediately the case i didn't put enough time in to give it a fair chance.
That ticket stub is a nice find & shows they kept good company. I'd definitely pay 8 shillings (!) to see that gig. :lol:
I've never delved deeply into the world of Lizzy live bootlegs, but i suspected if DuCann's short stint had been documented i'd have heard about it by now. One to file next to Randy California's brief spell in Deep Purple as something i'd love to hear but likely never will.
Having said that, i'd long thought i'd never get to hear any evidence of Larry Wallis playing with UFO but some b&w footage from Euro TV did eventually turn up & latterly a full length show as part of a vinyl box set, so you never know.