Malaysia/Singapore Metal (...and vinyl)

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Warepire

Re: Malaysia/Singapore Metal (...and vinyl)

Post by Warepire »

DaN wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:24 pm Ok, here's a review of one of the finest from Malaysia:

I urge you to check it out here:
Lineup information from CD reissue here: https://www.discogs.com/release/1147504 ... ngan-Hitam
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Another review:

DINAMIK - Revolusi Mental LP 1990 review

What a truly great Heavy Metal album! Don't miss:

Warepire wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:49 pmLineup information from CD reissue here: https://www.discogs.com/release/1147504 ... ngan-Hitam
Cheers! Updated.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Also added a review/correction concerning:

Hope that sets the record straight.
Zombie Dance

Post by Zombie Dance »

DaN wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:39 am Also added a review/correction concerning:

Hope that sets the record straight.
Sold mine during confinement and bought some very interesting stuff instead. The band Victim had an album of the same name which is way better :)
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Continuing with this mesmerizing album:

BELANTARA - Infiniti LP 1990 review

The best tunes are linked on the first page of this thread, though if you hate Epic Metal, best avoid them..
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Just a little test-bump to see that the new board-version is working :)
Pavlos

Post by Pavlos »

DaN wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:44 pm Another review:

What a truly great Heavy Metal album! Don't miss:

Warepire wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:49 pmLineup information from CD reissue here: https://www.discogs.com/release/1147504 ... ngan-Hitam
Cheers! Updated.
Great stuf, indeed. Reminds me of some cool (softer) eastern stuff like Missio. Thanx.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Continuing w/ documenting the Malaysian scene (and keeping an old promise to complete the All-Metal part of the Compilopedia) these 3 Malay HM comps was recently added to the collection, so here's the pages:

Image Image Image

Actually, I would really appreciate PICTURE PROOF that there's more Malay/Singapore Metal comps available on vinyl than these 9..

edit:
[youtube]mUAZHwFWS48[/youtube]
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

The Malay part of the review-archive is still only scratching the surface of what was actually released on vinyl in the 80's and early 90's, so here's another one of the few must-buys:

JUNCTION - Petualang LP 1990 review

Proof that I'm not just be hypin':
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

I'm feeling inspired and creative today, so here's yet another really great Malaysian Metal album-review:

LIPANBARA - Harimau LP 1991 review

I really am curious to hear what people think of this one, or at the very least the mesmerizing opening track. Check it -->
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

DaN wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:27 pm I'm feeling inspired and creative today, so here's yet another really great Malaysian Metal album-review:

I really am curious to hear what people think of this one, or at the very least the mesmerizing opening track. Check it -->
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Jkkkid ... l=JengKaKu
I gave the first track a listen & whilst the singing & playing were good the horrible 80s synth sounds & reverb-swamped drums detracted greatly from my enjoyment of what the rest of the band were doing. The production style fitted better on the more commercial third song 'Hidup Biar Berjasa'. The singer's got a really interesting voice, lots of range & tonal variation and he shows it all off to good effect on that track.
Interesting certainly, but probably not something i'll go back to, unlike that Autobus album you just posted. Many thanks for sharing that, it grabbed me straight away & i'm looking forward to giving it some proper attention over the weekend.
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
Ernest Thesiger

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

DaN wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:44 pm Image
Playing now. Was thinking it was quite good, but too sickly sweet to be really good, & then "Tahyul" happened. Excellent!
"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

bigfootkit wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:09 am
DaN wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:27 pm I gave the first track a listen & whilst the singing & playing were good the horrible 80s synth sounds & reverb-swamped drums detracted greatly from my enjoyment of what the rest of the band were doing. The production style fitted better on the more commercial third song 'Hidup Biar Berjasa'. The singer's got a really interesting voice, lots of range & tonal variation and he shows it all off to good effect on that track.
Interesting certainly, but probably not something i'll go back to, unlike that Autobus album you just posted. Many thanks for sharing that, it grabbed me straight away & i'm looking forward to giving it some proper attention over the weekend.
I totally hear what you mean about the synths and mixing. Thing is, I kinda like that "Rage For Order"-sound on rare occations - at least on more semi-progressive/original stuff...
Cool to hear you enjoyed AUTOBUS too! Def' more universal Classic HM-appeal on that one..
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

bigfootkit wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:09 am I gave the first track a listen & whilst the singing & playing were good the horrible 80s synth sounds & reverb-swamped drums detracted greatly from my enjoyment of what the rest of the band were doing. The production style fitted better on the more commercial third song 'Hidup Biar Berjasa'. The singer's got a really interesting voice, lots of range & tonal variation and he shows it all off to good effect on that track.
I totally hear what you mean about the synths and mixing. Thing is, I kinda like that "Rage For Order"-sound on rare occations - at least on more semi-progressive/original stuff...
Cool to hear you enjoyed AUTOBUS too! Def' more universal Classic HM-appeal on that one..
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Ernest Thesiger wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:52 am
DaN wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:44 pm Image
Playing now. Was thinking it was quite good, but too sickly sweet to be really good, & then "Tahyul" happened. Excellent!
Oh doG yezz the riffing in that song... Sooo Epic, sooo Tyrant.... Pity the minor vocal doodoo's though.
My 2 fave parts of that record is still the chorus in "Syahid" - Goosebumps-Metal at its absolute peak.
...and the high-school-stupid-simple lead riff in "Pesta Rock" - Ultra-unoriginal generic perfection!