the Die Hard vinyl mania

All vinyl-specific issues goes in this here subforum.
doomedplanet

the Die Hard vinyl mania

Post by doomedplanet »

I am curious what everyone thinks about how anybody releasing vinyl these days also releases a de-luxe version with all the extra stuff for a bit more $$ and not available at wholsale? While I understand it is how most labels make their money back it seems weird to me because I consider anyone that seriously collects and loves records is a die-hard anyway.

What made me ask this question was today I received the CHURCH OF MISERY "Vol1" lp + 7" from Leaf Hound japan. This record comes with a OBI, gatefold sleeve, printed innsersleeve on both the lp and 7" (cool Vertigo Swirl on the sleeve) and also a printed insert. I mean this record just screams expensive to make. I am really impressed, this is a beautiful production. And it helps that I think the music deserves it. But it also came with a die hard version with denim bag that I never even heard about until after the diehard sold out.
The thing that also impresses me is I remember getting the promo tape for this from the band in 1996 and I considered releasing it, but I just didn't have the spare cash at the time. Now even if I had released it then, there is NO WAY the record I released would have been as cool a production as this. Not a chance.
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

For me, I don't like deluxe versions that much, I like it simple: sleeve, record and insert, that's it. I also don't like "splatter vinyls or marbled vinyls"; it looks childish, I prefer BLACK. But if a diehard comes with a great poster or a patch only, I go for that one.
Long Live The Loud !!!
christiandiaz

Post by christiandiaz »

De-luxe versions are too much expensive for me.1 Peso 4 Euros(get the picture).
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

The Sentinel wrote:But if a diehard comes with a great poster or a patch only, I go for that one.
I thought most Diehard versions are just the normal version with bonus disc(/7")/patch/poster/stickers and sometimes in a special box or something.
peterott

Post by peterott »

fuck Die Hard versions... ;)

I do my best to buy Black Vinyl-LPs of all the releases. Just when it is unavoidable (additional songs) I try to get the Die Hard version. But a bonus track and a sticker shouldn't be the reason for paying $10 extra.
BlackStele

Post by BlackStele »

I prefer having one colored vinyls(eg black or red) I try to avoid picture discs, splatter vinyls, clear vinyls, and other colors such as white, green etc...In some cases I like marbled vinyls, but not very often...with a few words, the simple the better for me...BUT I also like some deluxe releases with extra infos on booklet, or rare fotos...

EDIT: I also make some exceptions with the colourful vinyls sometimes..For example, I adore the Golden vinyl edition of my Ripper babe! :twisted:
Black signs on my monitor, great bitching and fake words, Avenger is here, the craziest "modest" of all modsss...FTOU!!
deathster

Post by deathster »

I prefer die-hard version if the band or album has special meaning for me... likethese NWN! releases Sarcofago "INRI" (got regular and diehard), Goatlord Lps, Sabbat 3x6"EPs.
Crows In Black

Post by Crows In Black »

people will complain about anything
IF YOU ARE FALSE DO NOT ENTRY, OR YOU WILL BE BURNED AND DIED
tomas

Post by tomas »

We are not complaining, we are discussing!

If 'Die Hard edition' means sacrificing sound quality by pressing the music on coloured or picture LP, IT SUCKS!
I don't see anything 'die hard' in metalheads settling for inferior sound quality just to get the extra patch or poster.

The ideal die hard edition: black vinyl with patch / poster / extra 7" (on black vinyl!)
Crows In Black

Post by Crows In Black »

tomas wrote:We are not complaining, we are discussing!

If 'Die Hard edition' means sacrificing sound quality by pressing the music on coloured or picture LP, IT SUCKS!
I don't see anything 'die hard' in metalheads settling for inferior sound quality just to get the extra patch or poster.

The ideal die hard edition: black vinyl with patch / poster / extra 7" (on black vinyl!)
since when do colored vinyls have worse sound quality than black vinyl?
tomas

Post by tomas »

since it's a fact 8)
black vinyl is purer in form than vinyl in other colours.
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

It is a fact that usually the material used to make black vinyl is different grade than the color and the black does not wear as fast, but it does depend on the pressing plant and where they get their material(s).

Oh yes, I am not complaining when I started this thread. To me as a longtime vinyl freak it seems weird that it is a new trend. Not necessarily bad or good. Some of these diehard releases are VERY impressive, and some just seem excessive. But if people want to buy them then more power to 'em. I buy some and pass on some.
Crows In Black wrote:
since when do colored vinyls have worse sound quality than black vinyl?
Crows In Black

Post by Crows In Black »

I know that it is true that the additive that makes vinyl black IS different than what is used to make colored vinyl, however I've NEVER seen any conclusive proof that these coloring ingredients degrade the sound quality at all. Just because you add green or orange or purple or whatever color instead of black doesnt mean the vinyl will sound worse. It MAY wear out faster because the black coloring also adds more durability to the record because it has graphite or some shit like that in it (I forget exactley what material it is), but it doesn't affect sound quality. Unless you are saying that after years and years of use then a colored vinyl will wear out faster thus resulting in worse sound quality, however, as long as you take care of the vinyl and have a good needle, it shouldn't matter either way. It also depends on, as you said, who presses the record and what material they use to make it. I just don't buy the whole " colored vinyl has different material in it so that makes it a fact that it sounds worse" argument. I have also heard that clear and transparent vinyl sounds better than black vinyl, I dont really believe that either.

But as for die-hards....I dont see what the big deal is. The only place ive seen that even calls them "die hard" releases is Nuclear War Now (I guess there are others but I dont pay that much attention), and they always release the die hard and the regular version, and Ive never seen one that was 10 dollars more than the regular version, its usually only lke 4 or 5 dollars more, but you are getting a poster, patch, sticker, and other extra stuff. Personally for me, I just think its more fun to collect colored vinyls because it makes my collection more interesting I guess. Pic Discs I dont like because they usually come in a lame clear sleeve with nothing in them. The one thing I HATE is when an album comes in like 5 random colors and you dont know which one you are going to get....because EVERY FUCKING TIME I buy one of these I get the goddamn orange vinyl, I have like 10 LPs that are in the same exact color Orange vinyl.
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

sound quality is something that can be argued until the cows come home and no solid answer will be found.

Leafhound made at least 1 die hard, Heavy Artillery Records, Miskatonic, Metal Supremacy, Hells Headbangers, Iron Age Records has a die hard coming, even some cd releases now a days coming out with a special version with patch/tshirt, etc, like Area Death Productions for example. So just because you don't pay attention to it doesn't mean it is not happening all over the place. and growing.
Crows In Black

Post by Crows In Black »

doomedplanet wrote:sound quality is something that can be argued until the cows come home and no solid answer will be found.

Leafhound made at least 1 die hard, Heavy Artillery Records, Miskatonic, Metal Supremacy, Hells Headbangers, Iron Age Records has a die hard coming, even some cd releases now a days coming out with a special version with patch/tshirt, etc, like Area Death Productions for example. So just because you don't pay attention to it doesn't mean it is not happening all over the place. and growing.
I DO notice it, I just mean I didn't notice anyone else specifically calling it "die hard" version other than NWN. I am aware of those other labels you mentioned, I just thought they called it like "deluxe" edition or something similar. Is "die hard" a universal term for any LP released with bonuses that every label uses? If it is, I wasn't aware of it.