Emerald « Armed for battle » reissue

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
Kraignoss666

Emerald « Armed for battle » reissue

Post by Kraignoss666 »

Just got a copy of this reissue on No Remorse. While it sounds really great and the addition of 2 songs is priceless, I’m a bit confused about some editing choices... There are many singing parts (lead and back-ups) that are gone, when compared to the original, which is kinda weird as I’m used to hear those parts (« Winds of doom » back-ups, leads at the end of the same song, back-ups after the guitar lead on « Look to the stars »...). These are not long parts, but I just can’t explain WHY such choices were made...
If anyone has informations or thoughts to share about this, they’re welcome ;)
DaN
Administructor

Re: Emerald « Armed for battle » reissue

Post by DaN »

That sounds like souch a weird and unnecessary detail to remove.. Are you sure it's not a case of the remaster(remix maybe?) making these bits stand out less?

That's almost a thread-topic initself - odd differences between originals & reissues...
wicked keeper

Post by wicked keeper »

It's usually the bands themselves that request changes in reissues, it was likely a condition the label had to agree to in order to get it done...it's quite common for old Metal bands , particularly from the 80's- to be unhappy with the original production, regardless of what old headbangers and 80's fiends like us might think ...the same goes for why the cover art on a lot of reissues are changed from the original to something almost always worse...one only to read the interviews in any random issue of Snakepit to realise how delusional and out of touch a lot of them are....so many utterly convinced they were gonna be the next Metallica if not for some misfortune... :lol:
Last edited by wicked keeper on Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Kraignoss666

Post by Kraignoss666 »

@DaN: nope, some singing parts are completely gone, nothing to do with parts that could be less hearable on a remaster. The first obvious ones when I first listened to the reissue were the « Winds of doom » back-ups I love to singalong, and they’re just gone... Then listening to the whole album, I noticed the same things on many songs.
Still cool to hear those songs with a killer sound, but it leaves a feeling that this reissue is not absolutely complete, as those details are a great part of the magic of this album.
Last edited by Kraignoss666 on Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kraignoss666

Post by Kraignoss666 »

@wicked keeper: you’re probably right, and it comes to our subjective experience of songs and records. Maybe some band members thought that this part wasn’t necessary or as good as what they expected, so they decided to remove it. My personal opinion is that an « oeuvre » (record, movie, painting...) is supposed to be and stay what it was when it was made. What would happen if the guys from Emerald turned black metal and decided to change their lyrics to praise satan????? (would probably be truly funny by the way...)
tbieri

Post by tbieri »

Also they did put "Traitor" from "California Metal II" as bonus, but not "Born to die". Neighter on the CD!
Kraignoss666

Post by Kraignoss666 »

The version of « Traitor » is not from the California Metal compilation, but comes from the Armed for battle sessions, and is better in my opinion (played mid-tempo, fits pretty well with the 6 original songs).
The other additional track, « Vengeance is mine » doesn’t come from the same sessions (looks like it was recorded for the reissue), but also fits well with the rest of the songs. It shows a more agressive side of Emerald, but still 100% melodic, a really great track if you ask me.
Even the different track order works fine with me, so the only complaint is those missing singing parts.
CD also includes 2 demo tracks, but I prefer to stay away from those scary little plastic things...
So no trace of the California Metal songs on the No Remorse reissue.
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

Haven't noticed yet, never heard the original. Changing original songs is always for the worse, no matter what bands think. Same with changing artwork, never understood, even adding those light effects in original artwork, no-go for me.
Long Live The Loud !!!
Kraignoss666

Post by Kraignoss666 »

Truly agree :(
But except if I find an original copy of Armed for Battle for cheap (someone hear my call???...), I think I can feel comfortable and have a happy life with this reissue.
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

I was hoping for a nice archival 2lp reissue of Emerald with the whole back story of the band, of course the vinyl and cd are nowhere near complete. Interesting that the actual EP versions are different too. Sort of like how the Killen reissue is completely different than the original too.