Insane Ebay Auctions - Vinyl, Tapes & Merch

All vinyl-specific issues goes in this here subforum.
humus

Re: Insane Ebay Auctions - Vinyl, Tapes & Merch

Post by humus »

It would be, but do you think sellers will list their records cheaper if they have to pay for high listing prices? They will just not list them at all.
Some 15 years ago I was in a record shop in Antwerp and I overheard the following story: there was a record shop famous for their high prices. And of course, all the expensive stuff didn't move. Till one day some guy came in, bought 15.000 euro worth of expensive records, and left again. While he could have gotten those records cheaper in other record stores.
Same on Discogs: many people list their stuff for unrealistic prices just in case that guy would pass by. "I don't really want to sell it but if some guy gives me a crazy price for it, I'll sell it". They'll never price those records at a fair price.
Kraignoss666

Post by Kraignoss666 »

First post here, hi everybody!
Also depends on your philosophy: buying and selling (or trading) records at fair/reasonable prices, you know, this passion thing most of us might share here. Or making profit out of « musical products ». In this last case, all the rules of marketing apply: getting as much exposure as possible, knowing your « target » and its behaviors, building strategies...
GulliverFoyle

Post by GulliverFoyle »

Ebay all the way(especially for new releases)! Discogs (no wonder why sellers love it!!!!) with its easily manipulated "averages" + crappy feedback killed, at least for me, the pleasure of finding unknown gems/classics-filling the gaps in collection for peanuts!!!!! Fakkk also Eurosellers for charging an arm and a leg for ordinary lps from majors, taking advantage of the extremely high shipping cost from US. Hope that they'll bury you with your stash of records. Rant over!
Another lonely night, another no name town
it starts to look the same, it starts to bring me down
so many promises you knew I'd never keep
I'll make it up to you, baby, don't give up on me
humus

Post by humus »

The bargain hunting days are over, be it on ebay, discogs, record fairs or private sellers.

Having some kind of encyclopedic knowledge on music, bands and pressings was such an advantage in the past. You couldn't impress girls with it, but you could at least pick out the good stuff from the heaps of crap. Nowadays you still can't impress girls with it, and every guy with a smartphone can check for rarity and prices on the internet. I feel stripped of my 'superpower'.
Kraignoss666

Post by Kraignoss666 »

The same goes for every second hand stuff: both seller and potential buyer can now know exactly what they sell/buy. The bad thing about internet... While the cool thing is to have an easier access to all this rare stuff (and save load of money on average records). Underground doesn’t truly exist anymore, or it has to be rebuilt in some way: new scenes will start to spread out of the web, and the old-fashioned out-of-the-web connection will come back in full force!
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Bargain hunting days are not completely over. Last month I bought a rockabilly single from a guy who lives in the next closest town from here. Listed it on Discogs and it sold after only 20 minutes, for over 6 times what I payed, to a Japanese dealer with 1500+ feedback. I'm pretty sure he's going to make a decent profit in turn, flipping it to some other guy from Japan.
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
martinsane

Post by martinsane »

I know we hijacked this thread and I apologize for that but I agree those glory days of going to a pawn shop and sifting through thousands of $.25 cent cd's is a fleeting memory and one I miss dearly.

I was never a flipper or profiteer so much so that on another board I created a thread entitled the Gentlemen's Corner. Which was a place to swap or even pay forward some gem you found to another collector that would covet it as much as you. It was a lot of fun and I miss that comradery as well.
Spinal

Post by Spinal »

martinsane wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:55 am

... on another board I created a thread entitled the Gentlemen's Corner. Which was a place to swap or even pay forward some gem you found to another collector that would covet it as much as you. It was a lot of fun and I miss that comradery as well.
Now that's a good idea.
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

Another unreachable top want from my list. really?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Banshee-Breakd ... %7Ciid%3A1
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

That dude lists all of his super rare 45s at top prices, likely just to show off what he owns. I doubt he's ever going to accept any "Best offer" on them, he's not interested in selling them really.
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
Zanker

Post by Zanker »

I love this 7" but this is insane!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/333334437362

this is what an ebay seller needs: two collectors with money bidding against each other...
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Zanker wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:36 pm I love this 7" but this is insane!

this is what an ebay seller needs: two collectors with money bidding against each other...
Reputable seller, but that bidding history sure looks a lot like shill bidding...
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
humus

Post by humus »

Am I missing something or can't you search for past auctions on ebay.com anymore?
Zanker

Post by Zanker »

Khnud wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:36 am
Zanker wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:36 pm I love this 7" but this is insane!

Reputable seller, but that bidding history sure looks a lot like shill bidding...
Yes good seller, bought from him before. Very strange bidding for sure.
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

https://www.ebay.de/itm/PARABELLUM-Sacr ... SwSA9dteKG

Oh my ... still not over that auction ...
It's not easy to be the Antichrist ...