Story behind the band CROM(esp)?

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Spinal

Story behind the band CROM(esp)?

Post by Spinal »

A little late to the party I guess, but discovered the Spanish band CROM some time ago and have been digesting their two full-length albums. If there are any Spaniards here, or people into Spanish metal, I'd be curious to learn more about this band. Their albums have such an elaborate presentation, both in terms of artwork and general "concept" (there seem to be one, judging by the album titles and lyrics). And the music is of course great, even if they sure had more will than skill.

For me, there seem to be a divide between bands like CROM, who were more into fantastic subject matter, and the more down-to-earth bands? Is this a wrong assumption? Please educate me!
J.

Re: Story behind the band CROM(esp)?

Post by J. »

Wish someone would reissue their albums -they seem to be reissuing just about every other Spanish Metal band from he 80's and early even 90's these days. Those albums should've been among the first!
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Some of my precious few flea-market finds in Stockholm: Both CROM lps in M-/M- condition at the old Skärholmen Loppis, 20-or-so years ago. Never developed a taste for them so they were traded away the following year, but I've been thinking about giving them a 2nd chance..
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

Spinal, nice to read some love for these 2 albums. Easily my favorite records from Spain.
rumblefist

Post by rumblefist »

If they had a real good singer with good english accent they would had reached plenty more.

Please note - i love the singer (even with the accent) - he tries to do his lines melodic and original.
But he's a better bass player than singer.
I'm till looking for the recordings for the 1989 unreleased album.

[youtube]6to7Vq81R6U[/youtube]

Try to use a online translator for this page - http://no80s-gruposnacionales.blogspot. ... date=false
Knowledge Is Power
Spinal

Post by Spinal »

Thank you everyone for the replies - glad to hear there's more CROM-heads out there!

DaN: Interesting to hear that both of their albums had made their way to Sverige, I'm positively sure I've never seen em' down here in Gothenburg. :shock:

Will check out that site, rumblefist.

I found another interesting webpage dedicated to CROM (all in español, of course...):
http://www.valladolidwebmusical.org/ban ... ales/crom/
Spinal

Post by Spinal »

A little far-fetched but the cover for "Wasteland" always makes me think of this:
https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album ... -naples-3/
mordred

Post by mordred »

I don't know precisely how credible the info is, but the great metal blog Ride Into Glory recently made a guide to Spanish 80's heavy metal, which contained some interesting bits about Crom and their place in the Spanish scene as one of few English speaking bands.

https://rideintoglory.com/el-volumen-br ... n-the-80s/

Check it out, the blog's got many oher interesting features as well.
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
Spinal

Post by Spinal »

mordred wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:42 pm I don't know precisely how credible the info is, but the great metal blog Ride Into Glory recently made a guide to Spanish 80's heavy metal [...]
This article was an interesting read as well as a good point of entry to the old Spanish scene in general. Thanks mordred!
And the passage on CROM (sort of) confirms the notion of the band being seen as different from their peers. I assume it was not common goods among the majority back then to speak/read English, but this is pure armchair speculation on my behalf...
metal80

Post by metal80 »

CROM! I still have his second album, "Wasteland", a good job, but not for a country like Spain, where speed metal in 1988 had little support. This band was in the TESTAMENT / METALLICA line, they were very good musicians, but their records, like most of what was recorded in Spain in those years, do not sound like an album of that style should sound. The bass and drums don't sound compact, the guitars don't have punch, the voice is too clean, and that makes it lose a lot of appeal. A shame, really.