Cover Art You See Wrong

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
nightsblood

Cover Art You See Wrong

Post by nightsblood »

It took me years to figure out what the heck is on the cover of Mercyful Fate's 'Melissa'. To me, it always looked like the red streaks were leg bones- a tibia and fibula- laying in a dark pile of what was probably more bones. Since I didn't own a copy of the album, I only saw it from time to time on a crappy, tiny cassette or a jpeg, so I always thought of it as a pile of bones with some highlighted red. Turns out on small, dark, crappy copies, the horns of the skull curving around aren't distinguishable. So yeah, it wasn't until I got an LP copy, held it in my hands, and could look at it for a few minutes that I finally figured it out. But to this day, if I just quickly see the cover somewhere, I STILL default to seeing the picture as a couple of leg bones under a red light laying on a dark pile of more bone; my eyes still have to readjust to see the stupid screaming skull with the red light streaming out of it.
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
J.

Re: Cover Art You See Wrong

Post by J. »

The top red streak on Mellissa has always reminded me of a match. :)
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

A friend of mine had one of those reissue CDs where the cover is very dark and high contrast so you only see red and black, and unless you already know what you're looking at, it's pretty hard to figure out. None of us knew for quite a while, until we saw some band pic (I think it was Slayer) where one of the members was wearing one of these:
And then we finally figured it out :lol:

I can't think of any other cover where anything like this would happen though.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

For a long time i thought the cover design for Melissa was a stylised abstract version of King Diamond's make-up design at that time, but, a bit like those 'magic-eye' pictures of yesteryear, now that i know what it is i can't see it the way i did any more.
The only recent example of cover art which i see wrong comes courtesy of the new Ace Frehley album.
How many legs does Ace have?

No wonder he has 'Trouble Walkin''.
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
Herkus Monte

Post by Herkus Monte »

When I was looking at the Street Child EP cover artwork on the Internet I was convinced it was a typical fantasy art depicting a warrior standing against some medieval background. Only when I bought the re-edition did I realize it was actually a girl holding a rifle and gazing at a city in the distance.
Zanker

Post by Zanker »

Herkus Monte wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:58 am When I was looking at the Street Child EP cover artwork on the Internet I was convinced it was a typical fantasy art depicting a warrior standing against some medieval background. Only when I bought the re-edition did I realize it was actually a girl holding a rifle and gazing at a city in the distance.
Seriously?? I also see a warrior gazing at a city in the distance. Didn't see it was a girl. Damn...
OmenOfSteel
Location: fucking non white worthless left wing dick sucking scum bag

Post by OmenOfSteel »

bigfootkit wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:26 am How many legs does Ace have?
:lol:
We praise the blood that metal brings
Ernest Thesiger

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

bigfootkit wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:26 am No wonder he has 'Trouble Walkin''.
Hargh! Put me in mind of Holger Schmidt's extra appendage.
2485958.jpg
2485958.jpg (200.63 KiB) Viewed 4999 times
"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

Zanker wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:25 am
Herkus Monte wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:58 am When I was looking at the Street Child EP cover artwork on the Internet I was convinced it was a typical fantasy art depicting a warrior standing against some medieval background. Only when I bought the re-edition did I realize it was actually a girl holding a rifle and gazing at a city in the distance.
Seriously?? I also see a warrior gazing at a city in the distance. Didn't see it was a girl. Damn...
Me neither but it's definitely a girl :lol:
Nicko McBuff

Post by Nicko McBuff »

Damn dystopian street children, well equipped and over-armed with automatic weapons and nuclear detonators. Can't afford or source a decent fur coat though.
Zanker

Post by Zanker »

Nicko McBuff wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:56 am Damn dystopian street children, well equipped and over-armed with automatic weapons and nuclear detonators. Can't afford or source a decent fur coat though.
It's not Victoria Secret for sure!
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Ernest Thesiger wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:05 am
bigfootkit wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:26 am No wonder he has 'Trouble Walkin''.
Hargh! Put me in mind of Holger Schmidt's extra appendage.

2485958.jpg
I'm glad somebody got my little quip, i was rather proud of it.
Holger's boots on that sleeve would actually go quite nicely with Ace's ensemble.
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.