The Corroseum 3.0 is here!

Discussions and comments on The Corroseum website, its articles, features and reviews.
DaN
Administructor

The Corroseum 3.0 is here!

Post by DaN »

From the news-section:
The Corroseum wrote:Yes, after 3 months of intense work I'm finally proud to present The new Corroseum 3.0! Looks pretty similar to Old Corroseum you say? Well, on the outside perhaps, but my intent was never to change much of the classic design priciples of the page (nu = bad, olde = good, right?), but rather to freshen up some outdated desing flaws, streamline it codewise and (trickiest part of all) make it fully responsive = fancy-talk for It won't look like shit when your browsing it with your cell or tablet - which is extra hard since the trend today seem to be that a website should look like shit on your phone. I think I've managed to break that rule and come up with something pretty unique yet still user-friendly.

"Why bother? I thought it always looked great."

It would have been practical if web-design aged as well as Heavy Metal, but unfortunately it doesn't. Even though I've been more motived than ever to grow and expand the site these last few years, there's been a good 16.7% decline in fun-ness every year due to the fact that I just wasn't 100% pleased with what I was looking at. So, practically the whole site has now been rebuilt from scratch, save for some pics and logos.

"Why was the site and forum locked under a password?"

A totally unrelated event and of horribly poor timing. I can't even begin to explain how frustrating it was when my provider locked down the site for security reasons when I was right in the middle of rebuilding it. Apparently some bots/hackers had used some weaknesses in the comp- and fanzine-databases to infest the side with malware. We had a similar occurance a while back, but this time I could actually see the infected files for myself(!). Rather than spending weeks fixing Corro 2.0, then scapping it a few weeks later, I decided the only feasible solution was to speed up the process of finishing what I've started.
...and for the record I'm not paranoid enough to think anyone attacked the site for any personal reasons - things like this is likely to happen to any site displaying these kinds of security holes. It has now been amended. For the time being.

Well, hope you like. Let me know if anything looks weird in your particular browser or device. I've test-tried it on plenty of platforms but not all. NOTE that the forum is still looking a bit weird, but for entirely different reasons - see designated thread. A work in progress.
Noisenik

Re: The Corroseum 3.0 is here!

Post by Noisenik »

DaN, Kudos for setting the Sites back on the Net again. I will check it in next days. The shortcuts to latest posts are seen and that's one of the crucial features for me recently. :-D

update: I must express one dislike: the red f o r u m link in the upper left = top corner now sends me? to Corroseum site instead on the forum frontpage.
I am ... the One you warned me of
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Noisenik wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:16 pm I must express one dislike: the red f o r u m link in the upper left = top corner now sends me? to Corroseum site instead on the forum frontpage.
I agree. A mis-setting I forgot to redeem. Fixed now!
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

one other thing that I find a bit redundant, bcs of the place it takes in vain IMHO, is the size of "gates" to subforums. I guess showels or swords should be set in line with titles of subforums, so a larger part of forum would be seen. Well, my opinion after all, and there may be other limitations I am not aware of.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Noisenik wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:30 am one other thing that I find a bit redundant, bcs of the place it takes in vain IMHO, is the size of "gates" to subforums. I guess showels or swords should be set in line with titles of subforums, so a larger part of forum would be seen. Well, my opinion after all, and there may be other limitations I am not aware of.
Good point. It could be fixed I think, but most design elements of the forum isn't my work but part of a 3rd party template. I can fiddle with it, but always with the risk of messing something up completely.
(For the record, in case I was unclear, "3.0" is referring to the new website design, not the forum)
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Perhaps another possibility for an upgrade - if there is a possibility: The forum does not update itself automatically, perhaps it should in a way that new notifications, messages, entrants, etc. would be seen with only slight delay. although it is true that at present time there's not much to be notified in real time.
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

16.7% my shiny red ass...... Don't soft-peddle the problems DaN; we were all losing a solid 17.1% of enjoyment based on the way things looked!
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
Northwinds

Post by Northwinds »

Thanks Dan, I was pretty bummed there for awhile when all I got was an error message when opening the link here. Thought it was gone forever
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Noisenik wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:24 pm Perhaps another possibility for an upgrade - if there is a possibility: The forum does not update itself automatically, perhaps it should in a way that new notifications, messages, entrants, etc. would be seen with only slight delay. although it is true that at present time there's not much to be notified in real time.
I think an auto-update function would cause more problems that it would solve. Just clicking the "forum"-logo will do fine for now..

2 important notes:

- The design of the forum still looks a bit weird here & there, with missing Icons and other oddities. The reason why is explained here: http://thecorroseum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8625
I'll do my best to patch it up in the coming months...

- I will soon get an SSL- certificate for the site (better security etc..) including the forum. This wil mean all URLs will read https://thecorroseum.org/etc.. instead of http://.. Theoretically this can lead to old links and bookmarks not working. I will clearly announce in due time when this change will happen, hopefully to avoid too much annoyance if it causes any more downtime.
Lama

Post by Lama »

Aaah, just discovered that the Corro' is back...good job Dan!
Kampel Destruction
rumblefist

Post by rumblefist »

Discovered today (after many attempts to login before) that the site is back.

I hail you Dan and everybody of the other members for still being here.
This site has a lot of archived information and i need it constantly for my own consultation.

So far of the News - i got only time until now to check the new Zines Scans Update.
Thanks a lot !

There's though something to correct.

German zine "Escape" issue 1 - in fact is issue 4.

I know 1 of the guys of the Redaction and he confirmed me there were released on total 9 issues.
The guys of the Redaction were mostly based back then on the city of Kamen.
Knowledge Is Power
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Cool to see you again, guys!
rumblefist wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:15 am German zine "Escape" issue 1 - in fact is issue 4.
D'oh.. I don't know why I missed it was #4. I guess I'm doing these zine scans on autopilot so some errors are bound to happen. Will fix asap.

I've got more later issues of Escape but I'm not sure they "count" as fanzines.. Think I should add them anyway?
Hans

Post by Hans »

thanks Dan, miss the stuff when its offline.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

DaN wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:21 am Cool to see you again, guys!
rumblefist wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:15 am German zine "Escape" issue 1 - in fact is issue 4.
D'oh.. I don't know why I missed it was #4. I guess I'm doing these zine scans on autopilot so some errors are bound to happen. Will fix asap.

I've got more later issues of Escape but I'm not sure they "count" as fanzines.. Think I should add them anyway?
I think "yes", but it is your time that's gonna be spent, so you decide.
Ernest Thesiger

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

Not sure this is the right thread, but is anyone else unable to see Youtube embeds?
"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."