80's Metal fanzines - discussions/tips/page-feedback (CONTRIBUTORS WANTED!)

Discussions and comments on The Corroseum website, its articles, features and reviews.
rumblefist

Re: 80's Metal fanzines - discussions/tips/page-feedback (CONTRIBUTORS WANTED!)

Post by rumblefist »

Can't do anything else except to agree with.
Knowledge Is Power
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

You guys make solid points. Had an interesting experience when in Argentina in 2004. I was with a Brazilian native that speaks speaks Spanish just fine. He was telling me that it was very hard to keep up with the locals because they don't really speak Spanish either. It is much heavier Italian influenced Spanish with of course their own national character and slang. Of course I was 100% dependent on my friend with taking care of everything.

I did have a great time anyway. We went to see some local bands way out in the suburbs. Playing that evening was Dhak, great old power metal, I suggest anyone reading this to check out their fantastic album "Furia Demencial". I met all the guys before the show but could not really talk with them but they were very friendly and loved the fact that we had come out to see them. At the end of their set they pointed out the American, German and Brazilian guests that night and thanked us for being there. After that several guys came up and started to talk with me and they had really good english. I was embarassed in a way that I could not speak spanish at all....
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

It's kinda strange that the Brazilian guy seemed to be more familiar with the Spanish from Europe than the Argentinian one, since I'd expect them to be more exposed to ours than the one from Spain. Maybe he had studied Spanish in an institute or something and they teached the "traditional" variation, very much like if you'd go to study English anywhere here, they'd teach you the British one, even though we're surrounded by American English much more.

Anyway, great to hear you had a good experience around here. People are usually very friendly, as long as you don't start talking about football :mrgreen: (I say here, but actually I live about 720 miles away from Buenos Aires. I don't know if you went anywhere else besides B.A. but if your main interest was Heavy Metal Tourism, I guess that's all you needed. I'd say about 90% (if not more) of the bands come from there anyway.)
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

Just a little something I've noticed: the pdf's at the end of each page are compressed and turned into b/w, which makes stuff in colors really hard to read if you download that version. Maybe for the next batch it'd be better so save all the image files into a rar and rename it into a CBR, so maximum quality and redability is preserved?
otcmetal

Post by otcmetal »

Also, Dan, could you put a "download as PDF" link on Blackthorn #7? Need to print out a physical copy to read on the shitter...ha! Much appreciated!
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Cochino wrote:Just a little something I've noticed: the pdf's at the end of each page are compressed and turned into b/w, which makes stuff in colors really hard to read if you download that version. Maybe for the next batch it'd be better so save all the image files into a rar and rename it into a CBR, so maximum quality and redability is preserved?
This shouldn't be the case. Which ones are you referring to?
otcmetal wrote:Also, Dan, could you put a "download as PDF" link on Blackthorn #7? Need to print out a physical copy to read on the shitter...ha! Much appreciated!
I had to streamline the whole zine-scanning process for time, so I stopped making pdf's. You can still read them on your phone though. The 'Highslide' galleries aren't ideal for smartphones, but if you point and hold down your finger on a thumbnail and choose "open in new window", you get the high-res jpg in this window and can resize and read it fairly easy (at least this works on an Android phone). I read most of the zines on the subway to/from work this way.

If pdf's are a must you can download all the hi-res jpg's and use something like https://www.convert-jpg-to-pdf.net/
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

DaN wrote: This shouldn't be the case. Which ones are you referring to?
http://thecorroseum.org/features/zines/ ... -07-28.jpg
That one came out in b/w when I downloaded the pdf and it's pretty much impossible to read.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

I see. That particular zine I only got as a b/w scan at first. It was also included in the batch I got at KIT (together with most other Barst issues) so I updated the jpg's ..but not the pdf - a time/priority issue.
otcmetal

Post by otcmetal »

DaN wrote:
Cochino wrote:Just a little something I've noticed: the pdf's at the end of each page are compressed and turned into b/w, which makes stuff in colors really hard to read if you download that version. Maybe for the next batch it'd be better so save all the image files into a rar and rename it into a CBR, so maximum quality and redability is preserved?
This shouldn't be the case. Which ones are you referring to?
otcmetal wrote:Also, Dan, could you put a "download as PDF" link on Blackthorn #7? Need to print out a physical copy to read on the shitter...ha! Much appreciated!
I had to streamline the whole zine-scanning process for time, so I stopped making pdf's. You can still read them on your phone though. The 'Highslide' galleries aren't ideal for smartphones, but if you point and hold down your finger on a thumbnail and choose "open in new window", you get the high-res jpg in this window and can resize and read it fairly easy (at least this works on an Android phone). I read most of the zines on the subway to/from work this way.

If pdf's are a must you can download all the hi-res jpg's and use something like https://www.convert-jpg-to-pdf.net/
Downloaded the high-res. scans, and printed them out! Thanks, Dan!
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

36 Belgian fanzines has been added to the Fanzine archive!

This update was just about finished already 2 weeks ago, but the delayed delivery of a certain Belgian comp postponed it some. In the meantime I've already scanned over a dozen more zines for the next update - this one will be more diverse, with plenty of English language ones included.
humus

Post by humus »

Still need to translate that second part of the Hell interview, haven't forgotten.

Some great additions once again. Many local zines. One even reviewing Necrovore? Where did those guys go and where are their collections...
Levi

Post by Levi »

Cool update, thanks!

I came across some of those comps though the years and never seemed very interesting given the prices they seem to go for. Good that there's a HM Nerd in Sweden who actually checks this for us mortals :mrgreen:
rumblefist

Post by rumblefist »

Thanks a lot !
There's a lot of hard work here and everyone who downloads this should at least say a Thank You.

I only had about 10 of these.
And for what i see from the missing pages i think i have a good idea who was the seller of most of this lot.

As it goes for me - the most valuable information is on line-ups, demos reviews, information about demo releases, song titles and on obscure bands i never knew nothing before (which are getting lesser and lesser).

1 request - do you have there anymore Teenage Depression's ????
That would be killer.
Knowledge Is Power
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

humus wrote:Still need to translate that second part of the Hell interview, haven't forgotten.

Some great additions once again. Many local zines. One even reviewing Necrovore? Where did those guys go and where are their collections...
Yeah, I really enjoy many of these, even if I only understand about 30% of the writing due to some rudimentary German skills. I especially love the primitive layout of the really early releases, the hand-drawn logos (a Corroseum special for the future?) and artwork, plus there's quite a lot of early NWOBHM-stuff in there too.

It would be awesome if you could find the time to translate the rest of the HELL-article some time in the future - I'd love to put it up on the page, maybe as a starting-point of a new sub-feature in the zine-archive.

CALLOUT TO ALL READERS OF DUTCH: If you find anything you think is worth the effort of translating from this last batch, let me know and we'll make a page out if it :)

@rumble: I used to own 1 issue of "Teenage Depression", but this was many years ago and I eventually sold it before scanning it..

@Levi: I've been buying West-European local comps like crazy these last years, more for science and feeding the vinyl-bug when no Great Metal is left to find to be honest. I'd say only the "C'est Pas De La Crotte" is really worth hunting down due to the killer BACKSLIDER tune - youtube-link added in the comp-thread now.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

20 more zines added - listed in News.

A mixed bag this time, several written in English = wider appeal I hope :)