Tracking & Hunting Stories by request (Dan)

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
Avenger

Re: Tracking & Hunting Stories by request (Dan)

Post by Avenger »

nightsblood wrote:The millennial snip was a last-second addition, meant mainly for some humor and to highlight just how different- and difficult- it was trying to hear obscure 80s metal music in 1996 vs doing so today. There is a bit of a misunderstanding among some younger fans re: why some older fans are against having everything uploaded onto the internet for everyone to easily consume. It struck me that my story was a pretty good example of how much time/effort/patience it used to take for us to get to hear an album we were interested in. I'm definitely not saying that things were better in the good ol' days ("Make Analog Great Again") or bashing younger fans for getting to hear things more easily thanks to the internet- if there had been an easier way to hear stuff like Ostrogoth, Oz, and Virgin Steele back then, we definitely would have done so! :)
I understand the implied comparison. I don't understand the motive or principle behind it.

Depending who you ask, I could very well be in that group being born in '84. Time lines seem to vary but I'm of an almost nonexistent minority. I know of no one my age outside the internet, let alone younger that even knows who Ostrogoth are. The closest I've come are a couple of guys that like some of the more mainstream Metallica/Megadeth material for example and that's even a rare occurrence in this neck of the woods outside of guys in their 50's/60's that have since moved on or listen only to lighter "classic rock" now. They clearly aren't millennials though...

Regarding the internet, it's one of the greatest inventions to date and due to ease of access, has grown more fans of the era. I don't see that as being a negative personally. I realize some of the crate diggers from the earlier days may be jealous that they had to invest more time finding material of an obscure band they saw mentioned once in a magazine but times have changed and technology has moved forward. In a way, it's like a parent wanting a better, easier life for their children. To add to that, I know for a fact that those involved are using the internet to listen to and discover new bands themselves so in the end it's a hypocritical contradiction. They would essentially hate what they have become...

One could argue that refusal to share something simply because it took a long time to find a copy or in the more likely case because the person in possession of said item feels they are the only one deserving of listening to it is short sighted and detrimental. Do these guys plan to be buried with these records knowing they were of a select few to ever hear them? Do they realize that this actually hurts any legacy of these bands that they hold in such high regard?

I do know one thing and it's that the band's behind this material never released it with the intention for it to not be heard. If that was the case, it would be pointless to ever actually perform live or record an album.

At the end of the day that mentality serves no real purpose and the opposite is not something that I would link specifically to millennials regardless whether you consider my age group as part of that demographic.
Last edited by Avenger on Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

[youtube]wxrbOVeRonQ[/youtube]
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

On Topic: In this thread I’d rather hear great stories about finding cool records in unexpected places etc, than boring arguments on whether or not the internet made everything unfairly easy for new collectors.
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Khnud wrote:On Topic: In this thread I’d rather hear great stories about finding cool records in unexpected places etc, than boring arguments on whether or not the internet made everything unfairly easy for new collectors.

Agreed. I actually find this to be one of the more entertaining threads on the forum and have provided nothing but praise to date.

I don't see this as an argument. Nightsblood seems like a pretty level headed individual to me. This is a normal conversation regarding a rhetoric that has taken place for several years now.

The fact of the matter is that brick and mortar record stores are going out of business quicker then most would like to think, at least in North America. The internet age is here and the times of spending days digging through crates or even second hand shops are becoming a thing of the past.

There's only one major music fair in my city a year where I'm at for example and all the dealers seem to quote the highest price on ebay for their copy. There's actually more deals to be found online then there is in person in my situation.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Khnud wrote:[youtube]wxrbOVeRonQ[/youtube]
lol
I prefer the "my theory of the brontosaurus" skit, but this one is good too
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

This story is from last month, so not very retro-kvlt but what the heck....

Title: Things You Don't Expect to Find While On Your Way to Pick Up Your Kid From Day Care

My wife and I actually managed to have the same day off for the first time in months (exactly how every Record Hunting story begins, right?). After dropping our kid off at day care, we worked on stuff around the house for the morning, then decided to do some small shopping errands on our way to pick him up that afternoon.
Since we had some time to kill, we decided to stop at the local used record store, which I typically peruse once every couple of months. They rarely have anything noteworthy, but I can occasionally find something like an old IGGY % THE STOOGES CD in the used bin, or a cheap copy of some so-so 80s metal compilation in the small Metal Vinyl bin. It's a nice store, but not one that caters much to heavy music; the Classical Music section takes up at least 1/3 of the store! So I wasn't expecting to need much time to flip through a couple of stacks of Judas Priest reissue vinyls before heading on our way.
Then I noticed a box of 7" Metal items. Hmmm, that was never here before.
Hmmm, is that a Hellhammer 7" in the front of the box?
Wait, is that a Beherit EP in the same box?
Wait, is that a Vulcano/Nifelheim split 7" in the same box?
Wait, is that the Morbid 3-LP 'year of the goat' box set on clear-splatter vinyl?!
Wth the hell is going on here?!?!
A quick survey revealed that their metal section was at least 3-4x larger than it had ever been and was chock full of tons of black-death-thrash vinyl. Imaging someone putting the entire NWN Sale Catalog in your local store's shelves ALL AT ONCE.
While not my favorite type of metal, there is stuff of that ilk I do like, and it was rapidly becoming clear that I had no time to dig through all this stuff before Day Care would close. So I left empty handed but vowing to return the next day.

THE NEXT DAY
I go back at 10:00 the next morning and start to dig.
And dig.
And dig.
Takes me over 2 hours just to get through the boxes and have some sense of what all they had.
In talking with the guys that run the store, someone had died and their family brought in his entire collection to sell. I have no idea who the person was, but he'd obviously made it a point to try and get any and all limited Ed/ Die Hard type releases in the death-black-thrash genre over the past 10 years or so. They said that had sold roughly half the collection over the previous several weeks. I bought pretty much everything I was interested in; prices were not cheap but were reasonable. It was clear they had used Discogs to get prices, but then had their items priced a notch lower than the lowest copies on Discogs.

Things I Bought (I'll probably forget some):
Death- Scream Bloody Gore. 1st pressing, Combat, w/ orig inner sleeve. VG++/nm. One of the only 'old' items they had.
Hellhammer- the 7" pic disk they released a couple of years ago
Beherit- boot of the Seventh Blasphemy demo on 7".
Abigail's NME 7".
Vulcano/Nifelheim split 7"
Judas Iscariot- and the cold earth slept below LP (unofficial I think, from several years ago)
Judas Iscariot- heven in flames purple vinyl boot. JI is not my fave BM band but I had one (maybe both) of these back in the day, long since traded them off, and felt kinda nostalgic, so I picked 'em up. Their stuff has always been kind of a pain to find, so I wasn't gonna pass 'em up when they were sitting on the shelf of my local store.
Morbid- year of the goat 3LP on splatter vinyl. I like the December Moon demo, and getting all the added stuff/liner notes regarding Dead's pre-Mayhem days was pretty cool, though I wonder if they went out of their way to try to paint him in a very 'normal' light, as other first-hand accounts from back then have always painted him as being really strange/out there.
Autopsy- awakened by gore DIE HARD Silver Edition. Beautiful item, hardcover book bound cover, poster, sticker, back patch, etc, and on silver (gray) vinyl. Contains the 87 and 88 demos plus other stuff from that era. Those demos are quite good of course.
Absu- third storm of cythraul 3 LP box set. Possibly the coolest thing I found. Like JI, Absu have never been my fave BM band; they tend to be a little too 'off the rails' and the shrill vocals can be rough to listen to. But I always dug the fact that they were a BM band from Texas infusing their music with all this weird Celtic, Sumerian, etc mythology. I used to live in Texas; people want to fight you if you part your hair the wrong way. So I can't imagine the level of shit these guys dealt with weathering leather jackets and kilts, so yeah, mad props to them. And like JI, this was an album I had back in the day and hadn't heard in ages. And this box set is freaking GORGEOUS. Full-box art, silver (gray) vinyl, 2 full sized posters, both albums (cythraul and imoldamach) in gatefold sleeves, silver foil print on the box cover.....there was no way I was gonna leave this behind. It actually bumped Atlantean Kodex's Pnakotic Demos' box set off one of the display stands on my record shelf! Yes, it really is that pretty!
Beherit- drawing down the moon (kinda dig this one, never seen it on vinyl before).
Carpathian Forest- Bloodlust & Perversion 2 LP. Another one I had once upon a time. Always kinda liked it; not sure why I traded it off. They had a cool early Celtic Frost/Bathory worship vibe in their early days.

Things I Didn't Get:
Enslaved- Frost on colored vinyl. Never got into them that much.
Absu- Tara. The big, beautiful box set. Not very familiar with this record and it was kinda pricey.
Deathspell Omega- Box Set II. The one with like 9 pic disks, art cards, 60 pager book, etc. Expensive item and I'm not that into them. Nice item though.

They had tons more stuff from Emperor to Mysticum to Nifelheim to all kinds of obscure groups I know little/nothing about.

Not a bad find while going to pick up your kid! Rough on the wallet, but Thank Lemmy that my wife is very understanding (I think she was surprised that I didn't buy more!)
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

nightsblood wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:55 am This story is from last month, so not very retro-kvlt but what the heck....

Title: Things You Don't Expect to Find While On Your Way to Pick Up Your Kid From Day Care
Nice. It's somehow always more satisfying to stumble across 'the goods' in an unlikely local spot than if you go out of your way deliberately looking for something.
Although that type of Metal isn't my bag (daddio), i definitely vicariously feel 'the win' from your tale.
Kudos also for necromancing this thread which is one of my favourites here & contains some fabulous anecdotes that should probably be collected in book form for future generations to marvel over. Die hard ltd edition of course.
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
Hans

Post by Hans »

Nice story, nice finds, how cool is that.
Thats why I always keep checking the stores every so and so, keep flipping through nazareth & msg :( you never know
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

nightsblood wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:55 am In talking with the guys that run the store, someone had died and their family brought in his entire collection to sell.
This is how I got plenty of great comic book and literature scores. We don't have any record stores, unfortunately so any records or even CDs probably go to the bin or people that wanna charge you way too much for them on fairs.
Hans

Post by Hans »

I read this thread again.. stories must never be forgotten :)
Hans

Post by Hans »

So yesterday was a cool day for me, long time ago I had such luck in a 2d hand shop.

There is this record shop, its a small shop, around for 10+ years, and I havent been there a lot. Few times ive been there, the owner was not nice, grumpy, and not helpfull and I didnt like the guy. I never had some great finds there also, same old 2d hand metal stock, never surprises.
So ive been avoiding this shop, thinking to myself, I dont like him, and I ignored the shop.
I had not been there for maybe 2 years.
Yesterday I went past there, and I thought what the hell, lets check it out.

So I enter, I see 3 boxes of 2d hand metal, hmm that s a lot? I start digging, so I see Witchfynde, Overkill, EXE, Slayer, Baron Rojo... ok? nice! More digging, Tygers of Pan Tang, Angeles del infierno, Rods, Znowhite, Picture, Heavy Load, Samson, Cloven Hoof, WASP, Highway Chile, so I compliment the guy, nice stuff man! And he tells me the story;

He had recently bought a part of a heavy metal collection from an old collector in a village nearby.. the seller was in need of space and sold roughly 500 records, maybe he said, with intention of selling more later..
So I go on, in the end I got 20 records, bargained some , total 200e , so 10 euro each.

He then tells me last week there were these guys from Germany, they been in the shop for hours and bought lots of stuff, he said for around 800 euros, they couldnt believe there eyes he said. So I inquired what they bought, he only mentioned the dutch label, Rave on Records, everything, rest he dont know. So im happy with my stuff, but also wondering what did these guys buy :D So you know some mixed feelings. Anyway, I have to change my opinion also, the seller not so bad guy after all.

So end of story is: I got home and I find out, all records were 1st press, and in EX+ condition, also all original inner sleeves, I think the old collector was buying these at 1st release date in the 80's, lot of sleeves had date penned in the inside of sleeve. all '80 '81 '82 etc. So I was really happy in the end!

So now I will have visit this shop each week again, AND I have too find out who the original seller was, to contact him directly, so If you read this, please contact me :D
great_knuthulhu

Post by great_knuthulhu »

Good to see good finds and stories still possible, Hans. Thanks for sharing an encouraging story - they are too far between these days
I know I ain't doing much,
doing nothing means a lot to me.