Nationalistic metal in the 80s?

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Vans McBurger

Nationalistic metal in the 80s?

Post by Vans McBurger »

New to the forum after discovering the site a few days ago and enjoying the hell out of the features and reviews on here. Best site for metal I've found in a long while. Hopefully I'm putting this in the right place, apologies if not!

So anyway my question is regarding white pride or nationalistic metal bands of the 1980s, before Varg et al made it all the rage. This came to mind when I saw the reference to Lester Maddox in the Black Hole review, hilarious name for a band! I presume they used the name to be shocking or humorous but it did make me think there are suprisingly few bands from the 80s that took those stances in comparison to now or in the punk scene then.

Outbreak are the most obvious one, everyone's probably seen their excellent band photo from "Master Stroke"! Macedon Harriers from Greece pop to mind as a band who had overtly patriotic lyrics, specifically on "Sun of Macedonia Will Rise Again." Then there's bands like Holocausto and Exterminator who used the image at least. There's quite a few RAC bands heavily influenced by heavy metal, most notably skrewdriver too but that's not really what I'm talking about.

Anyway thought it'd be any interesting topic to bring up, it's not really something I've seen discussed anywhere. Maybe others on here will know of some more obscurities or will have some insight on the bands I mentioned!
rumblefist

Re: Nationalistic metal in the 80s?

Post by rumblefist »

I can recall now

Alkateya (Portugal) :
[youtube]8fp2dYURBeE[/youtube]
Knowledge Is Power
Astra Wally

Post by Astra Wally »

Maybe SU TA GAR? But I'm not sure at all if their lyrics deal with basque nationalism...

There is one point though: nationalism is NOT the same thing as any nazi or racist ideologies.
Heaven is yours, Hell is mine
Vans McBurger

Post by Vans McBurger »

Astra Wally wrote:Maybe SU TA GAR? But I'm not sure at all if their lyrics deal with basque nationalism...

There is one point though: nationalism is NOT the same thing as any nazi or racist ideologies.

Enjoying Su Ta Gar, good shout! Didn't know of any bands that sing in Basque before.

Agreed, important distinction to make. Having said that I'm interested in hearing bands doing either.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Carnivore? Maybe Agnostic Front too?
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
rumblefist

Post by rumblefist »

There's plenty on scandinavian metal - just think on the Vikings praise..

1 of the more obvioust to my mind - [youtube]rbRZnQONtVU[/youtube]
Knowledge Is Power
Astra Wally

Post by Astra Wally »

Heaven is yours, Hell is mine
Herkus Monte

Post by Herkus Monte »

There are some bands which would sing about glorious or remarkable deeds their nations did in the past but I do not know if that equals nationalist ideas. For example Angel Reaper made a demo song titled "Lord, save us from Hungarians' arrows" in which they referred to Magyar raids which put in awe half of Europe in X century. The same demo contained a track in praise of Condor Legion and and another one on some unspecified "ancient glory", so go figure.

Italy's Schizo sang they're Nazi and proud but did they really mean that? Beats me..

Then you have this song:
[youtube]Ubt0yFI3OxQ[/youtube]

Very proud sounding and still devoid of any hostile approach lyrics wise (at least that's how I understood them).
Ernest Thesiger

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

Herkus Monte wrote:There are some bands which would sing about glorious or remarkable deeds their nations did in the past but I do not know if that equals nationalist ideas. For example Angel Reaper made a demo song titled "Lord, save us from Hungarians' arrows" in which they referred to Magyar raids which put in awe half of Europe in X century. The same demo contained a track in praise of Condor Legion and and another one on some unspecified "ancient glory", so go figure.
There's a bonus song on the reissue of the Exhumált világ titled "Hitler a messiás."
Italy's Schizo sang they're Nazi and proud but did they really mean that? Beats me..
They didn't mean it, thankfully.
"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."
whiteravenmetal

Post by whiteravenmetal »

The Korrozia Metalla lads are what you are looking for

[youtube]EEcMOHHNv0k[/youtube]

and Macedon Harriers who you already mention.

[youtube]hcLh6xwb3Eo[/youtube]
Maxim

Post by Maxim »

whiteravenmetal wrote:The Korrozia Metalla lads are what you are looking for
They weren't nationalistic during 80s though.
Maxim

Post by Maxim »

Böhse Onkelz, Kahlkopf, though initially coming from punk/oi/RAC scene also had some metal albums in 80s.