Bootleg Warning Thread

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
Levi

Post by Levi »

metalmartyrdoom wrote:I think the label is based in Belguim as well. They also put out Mercyful Fate's "Time" on vinyl, which is a bootleg as well, but it's nice to have a copy on vinyl.
In that case it's probably the guy from Painkiller Records, heard some dodgy stories about the guy before. Never had any problems with his mailorder however, but the Painkiller label seems to be a mess...
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

the fucker that runs this label owes me about $100 for over 10 years. I obviously gave up on it. He is the only mailorder dealer, in 20+ years of collecting/trading that ever ripped me off. He of course told me he send the cash but I consider him a thief now.
Levi wrote:
In that case it's probably the guy from Painkiller Records, heard some dodgy stories about the guy before. Never had any problems with his mailorder however, but the Painkiller label seems to be a mess...
Levi

Post by Levi »

doomedplanet wrote:the fucker that runs this label owes me about $100 for over 10 years. I obviously gave up on it. He is the only mailorder dealer, in 20+ years of collecting/trading that ever ripped me off. He of course told me he send the cash but I consider him a thief now.
Levi wrote:
Yeah, figured he'd ripped some people off before. Same for the Belgian band Crusader of which he should have released the second album but after lots of delays and broken promises they had to put it out themselves.
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

How are the HEIR APPARENT boots discernable from the originals? I noticed alot of copies of that being offered on ebay about a year ago from someone in Puerto Rico and thought it was kinda strange.

Crystal Knight, Spartan Warrior, and Steel Angel have been bootlegged. I don't remember the label name, but the art on the tray insert looks alot like layouts from the old Guardian label (some of the art may come straight from the Roxsnax compilation album). Sound qulity is decent but the booklets are minimalist.
DMR

Post by DMR »

Are there any legit Heavy Load reissues, either on vinyl or CD?
violent_scimitar

Post by violent_scimitar »

DMR wrote:Are there any legit Heavy Load reissues, either on vinyl or CD?
Well, there are obviously the old Japanese CD reissues...If you don't mind that it's missing "The Guitar is My Sword," Laserlight/Delta put out "Metal Angels in Leather," which is a budget CD version of "Death or Glory."
DMR

Post by DMR »

I know Death or Glory got a CD release in Japan, but did the others?
mega_lodon

Post by mega_lodon »

About Heavy Load, so far I've only seen 'Death or Glory' and 'Stronger than Evil' on Japan Cds. I have both Cds in my collection. Those japan Cds that you usually see on eBay are bootlegs. One easy way to tell them apart - the originals have barcode printed at the back of OBI strips and the bootlegs don't. Forget about those Heavy Load Japan Cds without OBI, chances are those are another version of bootleg which I've even seen them in some Japan music store!
Hope my little info helps.
mega_lodon

Post by mega_lodon »

Korgüll wrote:
sovdat wrote:What's the matrix of your version?
I have an official one, my barcode is: 018777251822
Yep, mine has the same barcode. I bought the original Cirith Ungol CD about 10 years ago from Sentinel Steel Records. As you might know, SS Records had actually made an official statement "We Don't Sell Bootlegs!" at their sales in the past (maybe even today also).

My copy has "Printed in Canada" in both back of traycard and insert. Running time is 48:33 or 48:37 depending on different CD players (?). There's a way to identify the bootleg version if you look carefully at the cover. I can post pictures if anyone interested but I need to find a good bootleg cover picture first. The ones selling on eBay currently have the pictures too small to point out the difference.

Funny thing is I had an extra copy of the original CD and I put it on eBay. Some lucky fellow grabbed it for around US$14. Shortly thereafter there was another seller put a bootleg copy on eBay and another fellow bought it at double price :shock: !

By the way, for Cirith Ungol fans, check out this band called Falcon. The band has the original member from Cirith Ungol and their debut CD actually contains 4 songs there were composed but never officially released during the 'Frost and Fire' days.
http://www.falconband.net/
Levi

Post by Levi »

What's up with these reissue lp's of the Saint Vitus debut? I've seen several surfacing on ebay (black and blue vinyl) in the recent weeks and it seems dodgy. Esp. the cover looks like shit, some grey logo printed on a black sleeve, looks nothing like the original...
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

The FALCON album is pretty good

Lots of Saint Vitus boots float around on ebay
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

Levi wrote:What's up with these reissue lp's of the Saint Vitus debut? I've seen several surfacing on ebay (black and blue vinyl) in the recent weeks and it seems dodgy. Esp. the cover looks like shit, some grey logo printed on a black sleeve, looks nothing like the original...
Yeah, about a month ago CDs of their debut showed up on ebay and bootleg selling mailorders too.

All bootlegs, looks like the're repressed almost every year.
caminantenocturno

Post by caminantenocturno »

Korgüll wrote:Beware:
SORTILEGE bootlegs are out! SPV mid-price & Axe Killer EP
Also, there is a bootleg of the JAP pres sing of DARK STAR!

CD only or Vinyl as well?
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

caminantenocturno wrote:
Korgüll wrote:Beware:
SORTILEGE bootlegs are out! SPV mid-price & Axe Killer EP
Also, there is a bootleg of the JAP pres sing of DARK STAR!

CD only or Vinyl as well?
CDs dude.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
caminantenocturno

Re: Bootleg Warning Thread

Post by caminantenocturno »

Keir wrote: High Roller Records - most releases (Some are legit, but I don't know exactly which ones. I was almost fooled into buying the HELL LP, which is 100% bootleg.)

Phoenix Records - all releases
Are you shure about these? High Roller is an excellent mailorder - I wonder if their're producing boots.

As for Phoenix there has been some discussion somewhere else - the Holocaust-releases on "Phoenix (England)" are official according to Malc Macmillan, but I know there exists also a South-American-boots-label of the same name ...