What are your best flea market, yard or boot sale finds?

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
Khnud

What are your best flea market, yard or boot sale finds?

Post by Khnud »

I've frequented the local flea markets / car boot sales regularly for the past 10 years or so, but never find anything of interest around here. So, in order to keep my motivation going, I need confirmation that great items sometimes turn up at these places. So, which are your best flea market / boot sale music finds?

(if you want, post other stuff as well but keep it mostly metal, otherwise this thread will surely end up in Land of Mystery!)

My best find so far? In ten years, it's a NM condition Fatal Portrait by King Diamond. Yes, that's all. :|
Last edited by Khnud on Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
doomedplanet

Re: What are your best flea market, yard or boot sale finds?

Post by doomedplanet »

I don't waste my time at them anymore as the chances of finding anything good are so slim these days. The record stores themselves around here are not so hot either, but I look there from time to time and buy a few things. They use internet and discogs pricing nowadays so almost no chance to find any deals at all. Only advantage is if i actually find something, I can at least look at it first...
Warepire

Post by Warepire »

Let's see, been finding CDs mainly. Besides a ton of promos, normal cheap CDs (Candlemass, Queensryche etc), and some not very relevant CDs (Clawfinger, Falconer etc) I have found these CDs at flea markets, for flea market pricing:

Circle of Elements - Reflections of Kontrast
Defender - Journey To The Unexpected 3"
Irrwish - Forbidden Fruit (the private press)
V/A - Heavy Metal Maniacs Part 2
Le fjump

Post by Le fjump »

Probably some Michael Bolton Lp.
My steel isn´t true and that makes me a sad panda...
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Warepire wrote:Defender - Journey To The Unexpected 3"
That's a rare one.

I would be happy finding that.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Herkus Monte

Post by Herkus Monte »

Found Flames - Merciless Slaughter LP at the Dominican Fair in Gdansk a few years ago. Got it for an equivalent of 6 euros or so.
And I still remember that when I was already leaving the booth one seller asked the other "What is this LP actually?" and the reply was "No idea...".
I believe it is the crappy cover artwork that makes this LP uninteresting for those not in-the know. I wouldn't have had that much luck with, say, Heathens Rage.
tbieri

Post by tbieri »

It good times are over! But still 2 or 3 years ago i've found a collection of 160 records for 3 bucks piece. There was stuff like Megattack, Dum Dum Bullet, Orphan Allies, King Diamond (Them 1st press with booklet) Celtic Frost (Morbid). A lot of stuff for upgrading my collection and for selling to friends.
In the 90ies it was great, stuff like Dr Steel for 7.- and Brightlights (ITA) for 2.-!
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

It still happens on the larger outside street- or car-trunk type events, but it's been a while now. Found Halloween "Don't Metal..." a year ago for less than €10, and a friend picked up a copy of Double Deuce for scraps of particularly small peanuts a while back. My most unlikely find ever was probably both LPs of Spanish CROM, signed but otherwise mint.
Oh, and 2 copies of the Wanted Breed lp in a flea market only a few hundred metres from my door.

Sweden is/was quite good for finding odd stuff in odd places. Every 2-horse town used to have an import shop back in the days. Except for Lund apparently :P
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Yes, Lund is HORRIBLE! Not only due to the almost complete lack of inherent metal bands, but also due to the lack of good stores. There used to be an import shop many, many years ago but it mostly carried non-metal genres. I blame the academic spirit permeating this town, metal simply isn't a thing here.

Wanted Breed is a KILLER record, by the way. Don't even try to think they were some sort of Kiss wannabees due to the band pictures.
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Wanted Breed was definately heavier than anything Kiss put out but I'm honestly surprised Kiss didn't try and sue them for the image rip off. Especially with the fact Kiss was more of a business then a band by the mid 80's.

Either way, I find Wanted Breed quite average.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Avenger wrote:Wanted Breed was definately heavier than anything Kiss put out but I'm honestly surprised Kiss didn't try and sue them for the image rip off. Especially with the fact Kiss was more of a business then a band by the mid 80's.
I can only assume Wanted Breed hovered quite a few yards below the Kiss trademark radar.
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Apparently miracles still happen. At a local boot sale today - sticking out like a sore thumb among the usual crap was a Razor - Evil Invaders on Viper. VG+/VG++, complete with insert. $3.

Plus two vintage Swedish Donald Duck magazines from 1961, both in Mint condition. Found 'em tucked in between two 60's LPs. Yeah, I'm collecting these as well. Got them both for 50 cents. :mrgreen:
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight