STEEL ASSASSIN from Bay Area, circa 1986

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Stormspell

Re: STEEL ASSASSIN from Bay Area, circa 1986

Post by Stormspell »

I've asked around all people I could think of who were involved in Bay Area 80s scene and used to play live shows all around. Unfortunately none of them could recall anything... This band was either a very arcane/short-lived/studio-project, or didn't originate from around here. In either case, I have no idea how to look for them, and the chances of proper release so far are very slim, if anything...

The only immediate solution I could think of is making a very limited pressing which would not be sold but rather given away for free with outgoing distro orders. Its not ideal solution for sure, but at least I'd not be ripping the band off, and it could also help spread the word and hopefully locating the band.

A properly mixed song has been uploaded on the bandcamp player: https://stormspell.bandcamp.com/album/demo-1986
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

Also, honoring a request by current Steel Assasin band from Massachuisetts, to avoid confusion, from now on I'll be referring to this project as STEEV ASSASSIN
martinsane

Post by martinsane »

Stormspell wrote:Also, honoring a request by current Steel Assasin band from Massachuisetts, to avoid confusion, from now on I'll be referring to this project as STEEV ASSASSIN
:D Excellent band name I must say...

Maybe a little different than your post, but couldn't you "sell" the discs for a cost that is divisible by the number pressed to equal your pressing investment? You wouldn't be making any money off the band so no accusations of a rip off, just as you mentioned spreading the music around but not funding the thing on your own dime?

Either way I'd want one!
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

CDs have to be strictly given away for free with "Not for Sale" warning printed on the inserts. I have to do that, because even if I sell them for $1, that would open the door for opportunists to re-sell, and I don't want to see kids shelling crazy bucks for it on eGay. Hopefully I'll be able to get my worth back, or at least recoup partially, using it as promotional tool.
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

Stormspell wrote:I
The only immediate solution I could think of is making a very limited pressing which would not be sold but rather given away for free with outgoing distro orders. Its not ideal solution for sure, but at least I'd not be ripping the band off, and it could also help spread the word and hopefully locating the band.
The only immediate solution is to let things how they are unless you get permission by the band.
Please don't press a bootleg CD, wether it's for free, promo or whatever.
As soon as it's on the market it will be sold and you can wait for the first vinyl bootlegs to appear. As soon as they have the digital format in their hands it's just a second away from the first vinyl bootleg on the market.
Let things be as they are, it's not on you to decide what to do with that material.
It's not easy to be the Antichrist ...
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

Yeah, I don't think the "not for sale" stamp will prevent anyone from selling it later...
Never trust the Goblin King....
Zdan

Post by Zdan »

Trigger and Prowler are right. Hell, some people might order from your store just to get their hands on the CD and then replicate it. I also think the band should know if you plan on re-releasing their stuff. You hold a quality release in your hands but the band might simply say they do not want it released for whatever reason (Heavy Load reissues anyone?).
Manillaungol

Post by Manillaungol »

Zdan wrote:Trigger and Prowler are right. Hell, some people might order from your store just to get their hands on the CD and then replicate it. I also think the band should know if you plan on re-releasing their stuff. You hold a quality release in your hands but the band might simply say they do not want it released for whatever reason (Heavy Load reissues anyone?).
What's the story on Heavy Load not wanting reissues to happen?
bobo

Post by bobo »

Stormspell wrote:Also, honoring a request by current Steel Assasin band from Massachuisetts, to avoid confusion, from now on I'll be referring to this project as STEEV ASSASSIN
It's not fair for you to change band's name just because someone asked you to.
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

I hear you, although it is a Paragraph 22 situation - we would never find the band unless the music is circulated out somehow. I've asked everyone around here (Bay Area) I can think of, and no one so far recalls anything. If it was a Bay Area band, it either was mega-apocryphal, never playing a live show ever, or it was from elsewhere... in either case I have no idea of how to find them, except for spreading the tunes and letting more people hear it. And yes, no matter how we do this, they will end up on blogspots and torrents, its inevitable.

However, I do honestly doubt anyone would want to churn a vinyl bootleg out of it - apart from the few people which have seen my posts about it, it is virtually UNKNOWN album. It is not on any collector's lists or hyped by the usual scenesters to be sought after.

Regarding the band name - the Steel Assassin from Massachusetts has registered the trademark. They are aware of my find as we asked them already if it is their reel tape, and reminded us of their ownership over the name. So one way or another the band name has to be changed, or it will be Overlorde vs Overlorde situation all over again. Which I have zero desire to be involved into.

Nothing is set in stone and no decision is made yet. I'm just thinking aloud here.
martinsane

Post by martinsane »

I'm certain you crossed this bridge already, but do these companies have any records or are they in existence? Did they participate in any other recordings? "J.T. Productions, Haymarket Productions from San Francisco.
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

martinsane wrote:I'm certain you crossed this bridge already, but do these companies have any records or are they in existence? Did they participate in any other recordings? "J.T. Productions, Haymarket Productions from San Francisco.
From what it seems those were not real companies, just some fancy "business" names written in sharpie on a demo reel tape. In any case, the address of "Haymarket Productions" leads to an apartment building, and whoever rented that flat in the 80's is long time gone...
Warepire

Post by Warepire »

I don't know how the US is today, but would it be useful to put up posters all over town asking for information and whatnot?
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

Even if we assume they are still in the area, the San Francisco Bay is one huge megapolis with over 7 Million people in 101 interconnected cities (yes I had to Google that)... add to that the fact that most cities here have very little to none public transport and everyone is traveling by car never walking on the streets and you may start to grasp the futility of such activity...
Warepire

Post by Warepire »

I suspected it was something along those lines. I just wanted to suggest it, just in case.