STEEL ASSASSIN from Bay Area, circa 1986

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Zdan

Re: STEEL ASSASSIN from Bay Area, circa 1986

Post by Zdan »

That is a good tune. Nothing mind-blowing but a solid, headbangable number. The vocals are not that great but at least the guy sings with some attitude.

If everything is of this quality I say you have a good, underground release at your hands. Does not compare to their more known namesakes though.
Warepire

Post by Warepire »

I am really enjoying this. Nothing spectacular but incredibly solid. If the rest of this reel is as great as this song, then it surely deserves to be reissued.

So, if you ever come in contact with a band member, please try to arrange one.
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

The rest of the songs emerged today:

04. On the Highway (04:09) - Judas Priest-ish cut (Killing Machine / British Steel circa)
05. Heart of Stone (02:59) - Slow power tune with weird falsetto vokills
06. Coming Home (04:16) - Power ballad reminding me of Great White for some reason
07. Living on the Edge (03:10) - Fast-paced cruncher

All in all, Judas Priest influenced arcane demo/album in the caliber of Leather Nunn etc. Now comes the hard part of trying to locate the band. I've sent samples around, hopefully someone can remember something. If this was an 80s Bay Area band, it could have shared stage with other bands around, etc.

Preview of all 7 songs so far can be perused here: https://stormspell.bandcamp.com/album/demo-1986

P.S. Initial post updated.

_
rumblefist

Post by rumblefist »

I've no infos on this band.
I guess if they played live even supporting bigger names some flyer or a pic will show up eventually.

Agree with Priamos, Zdan or Warepire that the track on the divshare link is promissing but not mind-blowing.
No time yet to check the bandcamp samples...
Knowledge Is Power
martinsane

Post by martinsane »

Sounds killer to me. Stupidly great find imho and it will drive me crazy until you figure it out. :)

I wonder why the "Steel" looks more like "SteeV"??? <akes for even more riddles.

Good luck, I hope you here something soon.
Helstar

Post by Helstar »

martinsane wrote: I wonder why the "Steel" looks more like "SteeV"???
Maybe just a typo... it was actually meant to be "Steve Assassin" :)
Yronbeast86

Post by Yronbeast86 »

Thanks for sharing this. Sounds like more excellent US steel. Hopefully you will be able to get the correct information that you need on this unknown mega rarity.
martinsane

Post by martinsane »

Helstar wrote:
martinsane wrote: I wonder why the "Steel" looks more like "SteeV"???
Maybe just a typo... it was actually meant to be "Steve Assassin" :)
Ironically if you Google "Steev & Assassin" you come up with a few related metal artists and bands.

My continued thought process had me thinking the band was Assassin and this particular master was intended for a guy named Steev?
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

I'm pretty sure it is Steel Assassin. Whoever drew that logo just messed it up, its not very evident from the low-res pictures, but when examined closely you can see it was a letter L modified to something that looks like V

In any case, the realistic chances are, we will never find the band. I talked to some people who were involved in the local 80s scene and no one can remember such band, so chances are not very good. Regardless, at least it was a good find and truly one-of-a-kind item (since it is the multi-track recording itself, the source so to speak), making it rarer than any known vinyl, etc.

Musicwise I agree it is nothing groundbreaking. Although it could have been much worse, so I'm happy with what it is. Its not worse than the usual Leather Nunn, Salem's Wych etc. which some people do worship fervently, so its all in the eye of the beholder I guess
otcmetal

Post by otcmetal »

I just sent Ron Quintana a message asking about it, and gave him all the pertinent details. Maybe he'll remember something. I'll let you know what he says.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

It sounds a bit outdated for 1986. This is '82-'83 metal, basic, standard, a bit radio-friendly and not really pissed off. It just rawks and nothing more. I'm not impressed at all, but thanks for sharing those samples.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

Thanx for the other preview trax!
Promising re-release candidate! Except of 2 more or less below average tunes it's quite good material. Still if this stuff would be on any 80's private vinyl it would reach many $$! Better than certain top sellers for sure ... and vocals are not nearly as terrible as Ion Britton, Solar Eagle, Street Child, Militia etc. so I don't understand all the complaints at all. This is good mid 80's US Metal!
Thanx for sharing!
It's not easy to be the Antichrist ...
martinsane

Post by martinsane »

Prowler wrote:Thanx for the other preview trax!
Promising re-release candidate! Except of 2 more or less below average tunes it's quite good material. Still if this stuff would be on any 80's private vinyl it would reach many $$! Better than certain top sellers for sure ... and vocals are not nearly as terrible as Ion Britton, Solar Eagle, Street Child, Militia etc. so I don't understand all the complaints at all. This is good mid 80's US Metal!
Thanx for sharing!

Nicely phrased and agreed!

And with regards to "Steev"I was only postulating. I am sure like this Steel Assassin master there are far too many one offs like it that even the most knowledgeable of the lot have no knowledge of.
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

I think that "L" just looks like a "V" because it should better fit in their "logo" there on the sleeve. Imagine they would have drawn an "L" ... it wouldn't fit in that empty space at all ... :wink:

A band playing on that level surely made live appearances in the area so sooner or later an old Metalhead will be found who saw them ... just a question of time. I really hope so. The Retrospect Records guy would have pressed the CD even without their agreement, and giving them a "contract" years later when any original band member would complain about it, like he did with many bands from his stable.
He doesn't have such a highly respectable moral like you (Stormspell).
It's not easy to be the Antichrist ...
lox

Post by lox »

Stormspell wrote:Musicwise I agree it is nothing groundbreaking.
Maybe not but it would be a highlight this year so far (if released). Very competent musicians, solid songwriting, way above average US metal.

Thanks for sharing!