Opening riffs to die for

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
DaN
Administructor

Opening riffs to die for

Post by DaN »

So what albums makes you wanna put on a studded leather bracelet and fly the horns of Satan at the very first second the needle hits the vinyl?

I'm talking about them perfect openers that never fails to get you headbanging your drunken skull to pieces on a friday night. I'll start by proclaiming ARKANGEL's "Vagon de la Muerte" from their s/t debut to be one of Hard Rock's most explosive, fist-in-yer-fucking-face HEAVY METAL riffs ever made. So be it.

Impersonal, long-ass lists are banned. And only operners. Pick one or three and "share"..
metalmaster

Post by metalmaster »

many, but if I take the very fisrt album which made do it, then I must mention Black Sabbath's first album. The riffing in that albums simply can't be beaten (unless it is beaten by another Black Sabbath album 8) )
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Woo-hoo!

Many. If I look back into my history I remember being hit immediately with Apocalypse - Digital Life (here we go again :D ), Forbidden - Chalice Of Blood. Iron Maiden used to make openers for me: The Prowler, Invaders, Aces High, Caught Somewhere In Time. Heathen - Death By Hanging; Ozzy Osbourne - Miracle Man; Judas Priest - Ram It Down. Celtic Frost - Circle Of The Tyrants (hehehe), Destruction - Invincible Force, VoiVod - Fix My Heart and so on. I'll probably reminded myself of more examples.

Edit: Oops! I made them too much. Got outta control again. :oops:
I am ... the One you warned me of
Helm

Post by Helm »

There is only one answer to this querry:

Riot - Thundersteel
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

TYRANT(US) - WARRIORS OF METAL
CIRITH UNGOL - BLOOD AND IRON
SATAN'S HOST - BLACK STELE
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Hellfighter

Post by Hellfighter »

Razor - Take this Torch
Slayer - Black Magic
Shackles - Child Saint (no prejudice here)
tomas

Post by tomas »

Manilla Road - Crystal Logic: the Necropolis opening riff !!!!!!!!
Candlemass - Epicus ...: The riff in Solitude
Black Sabbath s/t opening riff
Saint Vitus s/t
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

A perfect one is the opening riff of Kreator's Ripping Corpse after the intro, it's pure headbang mania after that.

Another perfect one is Exciter's Long Live The Loud after this amazingly instrumental intro, pure metal...
Long Live The Loud !!!
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

RUSH-Spirit of Radio (timeless)
ADX-Deesse Du Crime (classic)
IMMOLATION-Into Everlasting Fire (crushing)
Noisenik wrote:If I look back into my history I remember being hit immediately with Apocalypse - Digital Life (here we go again :D)
What about the opening riff to the last song on that album: 'Cemetery'! Incredible riff, would've made a great opening track too!!
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

First the best riff ever made:Gotham City-Gotham City

then i will refer some classic opening banging to death songs(you better don't stand beside me when played these songs)
FLAMES-Beloved Dead
GRAVESTONE-Back To Attack
TYRANT-Danger
RUNNING WILD-Rivalry
WALLOP-Reveal The Lies
WITCH CROSS-Rocking The Night Away
PURGATORY-Night Crawler Bitch
SODOM-Vice Of Killing
VIOLENT FORCE-Sign Of Evil
jman

Post by jman »

maynbe unknown to most is Demolition (JPN) "Darkness Filled My Soul" 12" EP, the opening track starts w/bells tolling and creepy buddhist monks chanting, then kicks into a boot stomping riff that always makes me pound my fuckin fist.
If you like bands like GISM, Mobs, G-Zet, motorthrash bands from JPN, then you must listen!

EDIT: Angel Witch "Angel Witch"!!!
deathster

Post by deathster »

Celtic Frost "Procreation of the wicked"
BlackStele

Post by BlackStele »

BLACK DIAMOND-METAL TO METAL Since the first moment the razor-blade riffs burn your ears, and the Drums explosion prepares the ground for the catchy vocals that seem to have come from another dimension
WYZARD-KNIGHTS OF METAL Here comes the Storm! That guitar work is so simple and so Powerful, that makes you wonder...can it be like this? YES, IT CAN! The whole misty atmosphere, makes you think that you're another ghost of War, lost in the haunting sound of this dark, Medieval, insane Anthem of Metal!
HEATHENS RAGE-KNIGHTS OF STEEL No words can describe this...what could we say for the triumphant charge of Battle? Just prepare your sword, and scream your Battle Cry....WE ARE THE GREAT KNIGHTS OF STEEEELLLL!!!!!!!!
KRAKEN(COL)-TODO HOMBRE ES UNA HISTORIA Merciless riff machines that combine perfect together with the bombastic bass. Just perfect timing, and so Epic vocals..astonishing...
Last edited by BlackStele on Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Black signs on my monitor, great bitching and fake words, Avenger is here, the craziest "modest" of all modsss...FTOU!!
BestialLust

Post by BestialLust »

Crimson Angel

Post by Crimson Angel »

Thunderway - The Order Executors