Insane Ebay Auctions - Vinyl, Tapes & Merch

All vinyl-specific issues goes in this here subforum.
chatzial

Post by chatzial »

Cyrcka wrote:never saw a normal cover, only gatefold
In the '90s the non-gatefold version was much easier to find (and cheaper)
E.C.S.S.R. will prevail
lox

Post by lox »

nightsblood wrote:This is being sold by a reputable seller; if he says it plays, then it plays.
Sorry, I do not see any justification to own a cracked vinyl, how long will it stay playable? 2 times? I see your point regarding the rarity but if things go the normal way, you paid alot of money for something that has a very short lifetime.

And your stylus will hate it too! :D
Last edited by lox on Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

chatzial wrote:
Cyrcka wrote:never saw a normal cover, only gatefold
In the '90s the non-gatefold version was much easier to find (and cheaper)
The record nowadays also isn't that hard to find in Germany. 1 per month though listed in the most ridiculous categories. Sometimes I buy the cheap copies for trades or re-sale when I have extra money.
It's not easy to be the Antichrist ...
lox

Post by lox »

darquos

Post by darquos »

Very good release but at this price...
Pyrenean Metal
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

lox wrote:
nightsblood wrote:This is being sold by a reputable seller; if he says it plays, then it plays.
Sorry, I do not see any justification to own a cracked vinyl, how long will it stay playable? 2 times? I see your point regarding the rarity but if things go the normal way, you paid alot of money for something that has a very short lifetime.

And your stylus will hate it too! :D
I agree; I wouldn't pay anything like that for a cracked record since, as you say, it could break at any time.

My point (as always) is that other people can spend their money as they choose. Too many people on this site (not you necessarily) have become very judgmental and raise a ruckus every time someone pays more than $30 for an item. Some people make thousands of dollars A WEEK; spending a couple of hundred on a record they want is pocket change to them. It doesn't make them stupid, selfish, greedy, elitist, etc. Everyone likes different things, and everyone has different amounts of money they can spend on those things.

If a person wants something and can afford it, then power to them. It may seem crazy to others, but it's really none of their business. 99% of the population would think it's crazy that some people own hundreds of heavy metal CDs, even if each CD was only $10.
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
lox

Post by lox »

nightsblood wrote:Too many people on this site (not you necessarily) have become very judgmental and raise a ruckus every time someone pays more than $30 for an item.
Nah, Im not into wealth-shaming business. But buying defect records is probably not the way to go. I bought myself vg- LP's / singles and deeply regreted it. The reason why I buy vinyl is the superior sound quality compared to other formats, getting records in bad shape does not make sense to me.

BUT

I sometimes buy f.e. japanese pressings in crappy shape just to get a lyricsheet that was not available in other pressings, record & cover>trash bin.
The most crass example of one of my bastard editions: Candlemass - Ancient Dreams:
cover: svart gatefold RI + insert
record: active original + insert
plus extra thick insert made from front&back cover of the original sleeve :D

I guess for most people this seems very weird but there is a logic behind this. :)
Warepire

Post by Warepire »

lox wrote:I sometimes buy f.e. japanese pressings in crappy shape just to get a lyricsheet that was not available in other pressings, record & cover>trash bin.
The most crass example of one of my bastard editions: Candlemass - Ancient Dreams:
cover: svart gatefold RI + insert
record: active original + insert
plus extra thick insert made from front&back cover of the original sleeve :D

I guess for most people this seems very weird but there is a logic behind this. :)
My soul just died a little...
Dirty Rocker

Post by Dirty Rocker »

That is a nightmare, dude. Haha.
THE DAWN OF THE MEGA-METAL
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

If I would be a bootlegger I'd buy that tape immediately! It's nothing easier than this to produce bootlegs if the band is helping you in that way! haha
Jesus Christ!!!!!
lox

Post by lox »

Prowler wrote:If I would be a bootlegger I'd buy that tape immediately! It's nothing easier than this to produce bootlegs if the band is helping you in that way! haha
Jesus Christ!!!!!
At least the bootleg had chances to sound better than the original single :D
(If a great enginneer would do it, if the pressing plant would not suck etc. pp)
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

lox wrote:
Prowler wrote:If I would be a bootlegger I'd buy that tape immediately! It's nothing easier than this to produce bootlegs if the band is helping you in that way! haha
Jesus Christ!!!!!
At least the bootleg had chances to sound better than the original single :D
(If a great enginneer would do it, if the pressing plant would not suck etc. pp)
Yes, they only need to re-master it and it will sound much better than the original plus has a third unknown track (??). It would sell like Smörebröds! :D
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

Jesus Christ!!!!!
Well, the trick is, most sellers DO NOT tell you what's exactly on the reel. I once bought such "master" reel, which ironically was also by EMERALD (the X-ian band from California) and it turned out to be a karaoke-rehearsal tape: pre-recorded instrumental in one channel, vocal rehearsing in the other channel

A lot of bands in the 80s used reel machines to record rehearsals and stuff, and there's a good chance that's what you may get - a good memento for an ultra-dedicated fan, but nothing with potential commercial value.
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

Now for instance this master tape (http://www.ebay.com/itm/121306840888) was much more worth giving a shot, because it is a 1/2" tape which is a pro-format mostly used by studios (and thus not of eBay faux-master-reel bootlegger's interest), and the seller is the usual re-seller junkie selling this-and-that anything flea-market trinkets for cheap.

He most probably picked it at storage unit auction sale for peanuts and have no idea of its potential value. Plus he accepted my Best offer which was below the tape cost itself... would be very interesting to hear what's on that tape, and even if it is junk, no harm done ;)

Anyone heard of STEEL ASSASSIN band from California active during 1986? I somehow doubt it is the well-known NJ band since the seller is from NorCal