The Gallery of Great Failures

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
Priamos

The Gallery of Great Failures

Post by Priamos »

Any 'normal' member must have been fed up with the usual bunch of middle-aged men boasting about how clever they proved by buying the x rarity for peanuts whilst the rest are so stupid that give the "normal" or higher price for the same shit. Many similar (true or imaginary) stories of vanity, narcisism, egomania etc are told here, that prettify and hide the truth: A shitload of failures behind, small or huge. So let us know the biggest of them. You bought a record for $$$ that was given for nothing only months later? Wasted your salary for something that later was proven a bootleg? Confess your crimes and sins brothers and let truth cleanse your soul!!

Well, as I said more than once (and Glockose has added as his signature :lol: ) I'm no fuckin' collector. So the next story might sound like a petty misdemeanor to some but for my standards was a major failure. I found couple years ago the Barnabas-The Gospel according to Barnabas" CD in Sentinel Steel's catalogue for about 40 Euros. I didn't usually buy anything for that price but I felt an urge and did it. I didn't make any inquiries first, only checked the ebay and found it for a similar price.So I did it without thinking too much about it.
Needless to say that after few months I found it in various sellers for about 20 euros and yesterday yeti-sued gave it away in an auction for less than...10$!!! Fuck!! This hurts!!!

So..Let the next brave one tell us his story.
MassOfKthulu

Post by MassOfKthulu »

mm interesting antiquestion kosta..breaking my head here..i bought the lord ryur single for 200 dollars which i suspect is a ton of money for it right now,but the story back then was 100 copies,not 1000 as i know now,and i really thought it would be the last copy i would ever see....that was like in 2000.. also i paid quite a lot for the second thor album (sp) also thinking the same,and i strongly suspect its cover is recently printed like the exodo Lp which makes it a semi-bootleg and expains the tons of copies for sale.. other than those i think i'm good.i ve had my ass bitten in a few trades but it wasn't cash so i ll outlive them.. curious to see what others have to say
I am so true my mp3 player's screen has slight ringwear
Heathen

Post by Heathen »

Surprisingly all of my failures are about NOT buying my wanted CD when given the chance (several times in some cases)

...thinking that it costs too much only to see the price jump to "insane" levels in the following months or years. As a result I still don't own a copy or have paid many times more for it.

...thinking that it costs too much only to never see it for sale again.

...thinking that this must be a bootleg for the price and choosing to ask the seller first, only to first see the CD dissapear and then receiving a message that the CD was perfectly legit.
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Great topic!

In my early days of collecting I traded away a lot of stuff for a seemingly mint vinyl copy of Sarcofagus - Cycle Of Life. Only to find out much later that it was supposed to come with an insert. Not that it matters that much, but it still bugs the hell out of me sometimes. It's like owning half a record.

I paid quite a lot (around £85) for an original ARC - War Of The Ring just to find out that the band member I got it from had several more and the price went down after that. Same with Dawnwatcher - Spellbound. I think I spent £55 or something like that and now it sells for £20.
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
Nightcrawler

Post by Nightcrawler »

I guess I was not the only one here who did not know that Black Widow had tons of the Wyxmer LP, and then overpaid it....I had quite a lot of money aside and decided to spend a part on a real rare record and paid something like 100$ for it and also thought that it was quite cheap as it was a 200-300$ record back then....I had not listened to it before and was also disappointed musically when I got it....

I guess many people also overpaid those "exotic" records back then, before Ebay expanded worldwide....I also did with Ex-Danger or Cry-Max....But luckily I don't care anymore after all those years, especially since I don't remember the exact price....
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

funny post. I bought records that are overpriced compared to current value and I have bought some for far less than current value. "value' is irrelevant if you are keeping them, at least monetarily. Musical value to myself is what matters. I hope someday I can get some of the value out of my stuff if I decide to sell. If not: oh well, it was just money spent, like all these other expenses in life.

Damn I'm pissed I just bought a loaf of bread for $4.50 and I ate part of it and soon it won't be worth anything...
perishinflames

Post by perishinflames »

I overpaid for the Slander LP but I don't feel much remorse about it. Paid a bunch for Trop Feross, definitely regret that as it was only months later that quantity surfaced. Other than there are quite a few I could have saved on with patience but that's the way it goes sometimes.
Warepire

Post by Warepire »

So far my luck has been more good than bad, so I guess I have the worst ahead of me.

But I've gone and done some terrible deals in my time.

1) Randomly browsing a rock/metal store in the metal section I come across an independent CD called "Intense - It was all for Scotland", they had no way to sample it, it was 9 euro, looked rare, looked like some cool epic-ish metal, track titles sounded like that too... So I bought it, what I won was this: Neo-Nazi Rock, it's not good either, and the value is about 4 euros.

2) I made an order from Swedmetal, I think the topic about that can be found somewhere on here still... Long story short I bought some CDs, they were water-damaged while he claimed they were new, confronted him, was promised a refund upon return of the CDs, never got any money back, even after 6 months of asking where the money was. He's registered as a legitimate business here in Sweden, and claims 100% customer satisfaction, but in reality he is a dickhead to everyone who has a problem.

3) Tracking a copy of "Aleister Wild - Autumns Wrath" for about 3 years since I'd read only good things about it, finally found one and bought it for 65 euros, the month after I get it, Iron Force stocks a couple of copies for 20 euros each. I was a little depressed over that since the album isn't that amazing after all.

4) Spending a lot of effort finding a nice copy of "Leviticus - Setting Fire To The Earth" on CD, finding one being sold by Sverigerules / Swedenrules (again, topic should be somewhere). I grab it and it looks fishy once I get it, after some tracking I learn it's a bootleg, and this guy puts up a serious effort to not have to refund me, but does so in the end. Which results in a life-time ban from any of his sales and auctions, which is a relief. Note: This guy is now on Amazon too, beware, he is a MAJOR asshole.

Other than this it has been the occasional missed deal due to being broke, or getting outbid on an auction. I guess the worst is yet to come.
chatzial

Post by chatzial »

Funny fail. In the '90s i ordered a JACK STARR 7".
I was totally certain that i must have been the famous metal guitarist
because the spelling of the last name was STARR with double r.
When i received it i couldn't stop laughing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbkW1mAqwOQ
E.C.S.S.R. will prevail
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

All my dealings with Joe Pangallo.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Zdan

Post by Zdan »

Missed out on a great condition and fairly cheap (100 dollars) copy of Holy Terror "Terror And Submission" on Pony Canyon. Still punching myself in the head over that one. I did not know back then that the reissues are basically all crap.
Priamos

Post by Priamos »

chatzial wrote:Funny fail. In the '90s i ordered a JACK STARR 7".

Yeah, like the usual Lips, Leather Nun etc confusions in the early/mid 90s by some not so well-informed rarity diggers. :lol:
Fabeldyr

Post by Fabeldyr »

In early 00's I traded away stuff like Excruciate, Crematory, first Centinex and other rare stuff for common things I just could have ordered cheap. Ohh yeah, add Agretator to that list too. Been able to get several of them again though.
Shimrod

Post by Shimrod »

I spent a lot of money for a sealed copy of Manilla Road - The Deluge CD when it was scarce as hell and unlikely to be reissued. I get a second chance offer for less from a lost auction a few days later. And finally see the album reissued a few years later making its value decrease a lot.
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

chatzial wrote:Funny fail. In the '90s i ordered a JACK STARR 7".

This is great, And if you dont want it I'll take it
So not a lose youll get your money back

HAHAHA
"I am NOT a collector"