"that" Italian sound / Black Hole

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
xr2m

"that" Italian sound / Black Hole

Post by xr2m »

OK, I'll admit that the recent Sanctis Ghoram thread prompted this, but I've recently been getting into things like early Death SS (Paul Chain era only; especially "Evil Metal") and Black Hole. Can anybody recommend other bands that have this weird, "warm", dark occult atmosphere? Mortuary Drape have touches of this every now and then as well.

Regarding Black Hole - I recently got a reissue of "Land of Mystery" on Andromeda Relix. For some reason, I remember hearing about a reissue on some Chinese label called "Area Death" or something like that - is there a significant difference in the two releases? Also, is the 2nd Black Hole album "Living Mask" worth tracking down? I love the first album!
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

Equinox Ov The Gods-Images Of Forgotten Memories.The 90's Black Hole.I don't know another band with the same sound and atmosphere.Only Mezmerist from 80's but my opinion about them is negative.
metalmaster

Post by metalmaster »

I think L'IMPERO DELLE OMBRE is very close to that old tradition of Death SS / Black Hole
peterott

Post by peterott »

a bit of a lousy comparison, but I think Abysmal Grief from Italy fit too.
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

They aren't metal, but you can't go wrong with GOBLIN.
roihlem

Post by roihlem »

Never listened to them, but guess they play this style: Zess
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

MONUMENTUM are quite good too...

and CULTUS SANGUINE for that sake as well, for newer bands...
DeathLörd

Post by DeathLörd »

That 2nd BLACK HOLE CD is terrible!! It cost me a lot of $$$ to track down a copy just to find out it was unlistenable. (Drum machine and boring compositions.) The only thing that was worth anything about this CD was the bonus demo tracks from the '80's; but it isn't even their best demo tracks. In fact, try to track down dubs of the BLACK HOLE demos instead. They are more worth it!
mordred

Post by mordred »

I have never heard The Living Mask album, but isn't the song "Black Hole" on it? It's featured on one of the demos as well, and it's one of their best songs! How can an album be bad with such a song on it?
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
BloodOfChrist

Re: "that" Italian sound / Black Hole

Post by BloodOfChrist »

xr2m wrote:OK, I'll admit that the recent Sanctis Ghoram thread prompted this, but I've recently been getting into things like early Death SS (Paul Chain era only; especially "Evil Metal") and Black Hole. Can anybody recommend other bands that have this weird, "warm", dark occult atmosphere? Mortuary Drape have touches of this every now and then as well.

Regarding Black Hole - I recently got a reissue of "Land of Mystery" on Andromeda Relix. For some reason, I remember hearing about a reissue on some Chinese label called "Area Death" or something like that - is there a significant difference in the two releases? Also, is the 2nd Black Hole album "Living Mask" worth tracking down? I love the first album!
Area Death is working on a big Black Hole Box Set set thats going to slaughter the recent unmastered, raw-vinyl-rip cd reissue. The Box Set is going to be at least 2 discs and it going to have Land of Mystery and Beyond The Gravestone demo in thir entirety, plus bonus tracks and tons of other stuff. The only thing is the record label owner Filippo Tattini is currently dealing with extremely bad personal shit and hasnt been in touch with anyone, or able to work on the label, in quite some time. For now it seems like all the ADP releases are on hold until Filippo is able to resume them. The Black Hole/Arc/Terror/and other releases are going to be worth the wait, though.

Personally, I wouldnt bother getting the Living Mask album. I didnt like it at all. The drum machine sounded really irritating and the music didnt seem to go anywhere or do anything interesting.

I can upload some Black Hole demos if anyone wants me to. I dont want to post all the stuff I have because of the upcoming box set, but I can post some stuff.
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

BloodOfChrist wrote:Area Death is working on a big Black Hole Box Set set thats going to slaughter the recent unmastered, raw-vinyl-rip cd reissue. The Box Set is going to be at least 2 discs and it going to have Land of Mystery and Beyond The Gravestone demo in thir entirety, plus bonus tracks and tons of other stuff. The only thing is the record label owner Filippo Tattini is currently dealing with extremely bad personal shit and hasnt been in touch with anyone, or able to work on the label, in quite some time. For now it seems like all the ADP releases are on hold until Filippo is able to resume them. The Black Hole/Arc/Terror/and other releases are going to be worth the wait, though.

Personally, I wouldnt bother getting the Living Mask album. I didnt like it at all. The drum machine sounded really irritating and the music didnt seem to go anywhere or do anything interesting.

I can upload some Black Hole demos if anyone wants me to. I dont want to post all the stuff I have because of the upcoming box set, but I can post some stuff.
I was planning to order that unmastered(I was told it was remastered... :evil: ) reissue, better wait then. Eventhough it'll probably be a long wait, waiting for those Hell & DA boxsets have made me a patient man.
BloodOfChrist

Post by BloodOfChrist »

The Evil Within Us wrote:
BloodOfChrist wrote:Area Death is working on a big Black Hole Box Set set thats going to slaughter the recent unmastered, raw-vinyl-rip cd reissue. The Box Set is going to be at least 2 discs and it going to have Land of Mystery and Beyond The Gravestone demo in thir entirety, plus bonus tracks and tons of other stuff. The only thing is the record label owner Filippo Tattini is currently dealing with extremely bad personal shit and hasnt been in touch with anyone, or able to work on the label, in quite some time. For now it seems like all the ADP releases are on hold until Filippo is able to resume them. The Black Hole/Arc/Terror/and other releases are going to be worth the wait, though.

I was planning to order that unmastered(I was told it was remastered... :evil: ) reissue, better wait then. Eventhough it'll probably be a long wait, waiting for those Hell & DA boxsets have made me a patient man.
I heard from a few people that the most recent Black Hole reissue was just a raw vinyl rip from an original Land of Mystery LP. There may be another reissue that was remastered, but if there is I dont know about it.

Im looking forward to that Hell box set as well. Its going to be amazing!
deathster

Post by deathster »

I think Hocculta should be interesting. At least the Metalmaster compilation LP track is DAMN GOOD. I hope their other trx are great too.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Since Goblin were mentioned I guess at least two dark prog acts should be too: Jacula and Antonius Rex, both related. And for more adventurous: Runaway Totem (at least Zed and Trimegisto).
I am ... the One you warned me of
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

HOCCULTA is great, I love their 2 albums and the demo. Talking about Italian bands, does someone know more about the band RANSACKERS ?
They have one track on the sampler H-M Eruption.