Insane Ebay Auctions - Vinyl, Tapes & Merch (2013)

All vinyl-specific issues goes in this here subforum.
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

What in the name of all that's (un)holy?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221242660873?ss ... 1438.l2649
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
Cyrcka

Post by Cyrcka »

Khnud wrote:What in the name of all that's (un)holy?

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Khnud wrote:What in the name of all that's (un)holy?

Wow :shock:
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
lunaboy

Post by lunaboy »

It's fucking STUPID !!!! It's just became very trendy to have "obscure looking" records from 80s in young metal generation circles. When I checked NWN (Nuclear War Now) forum back in early days there were just talk about NEW / KVLT Black and Death metal and records.None carred about Heavy / Power / Thrash metal.But now it seems there's new TREND 'N' KVLT to have some of these "Long Lost Gemms" and if band is called BLACK DEATH ... You can't go wrong with such name and record even if LP end laying in the shelves.... I've seen a lot of these "examples".And there's a big demand for this record when army of hungry new generation collectors jumps in.
Nightcrawler

Post by Nightcrawler »

lunaboy wrote:It's fucking STUPID !!!! It's just became very trendy to have "obscure looking" records from 80s in young metal generation circles. When I checked NWN (Nuclear War Now) forum back in early days there were just talk about NEW / KVLT Black and Death metal and records.None carred about Heavy / Power / Thrash metal.But now it seems there's new TREND 'N' KVLT to have some of these "Long Lost Gemms" and if band is called BLACK DEATH ... You can't go wrong with such name and record even if LP end laying in the shelves.... I've seen a lot of these "examples".And there's a big demand for this record when army of hungry new generation collectors jumps in.
this reflects the current scene, look how many new HM bands are out there with a BM image. But it is also natural, that some of the older (back then younger) generation have changed their musical taste from BM to 80s Metal. There were many BM bands who started using more "classic" Metal riffs on each new album, who were blamed then for getting commercial. And I'm sure, that many of the "bigger" bands would have quit if it wasn't for the money....

Probably this was here before:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MEDIEVAL-STEEL- ... 1c33f746f2
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Nightcrawler wrote:Probably this was here before:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MEDIEVAL-STEEL- ... 1c33f746f2
Crazy! Also, isn't that a picture from one of glockose's auctions?
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
humus

Post by humus »

lunaboy wrote:It's fucking STUPID !!!! It's just became very trendy to have "obscure looking" records from 80s in young metal generation circles.
Whereas it's perfectly acceptable for the old metal generation to drop 4-figure amounts on private US metal records, of course.
lunaboy

Post by lunaboy »

humus wrote:
lunaboy wrote:It's fucking STUPID !!!! It's just became very trendy to have "obscure looking" records from 80s in young metal generation circles.
Whereas it's perfectly acceptable for the old metal generation to drop 4-figure amounts on private US metal records, of course.
But this record Is NOT PRIVATE PRESS. And I think that this new generation metal collectors circle who jumped into this kind of music just few years ago set new Price / Market standarts (As well as BIG DEMAND).I mean everybody noticed for example rising prices even for regular Neat / Roadrunner / Ebony stuff.And it's no surprise anymore.
Cyrcka

Post by Cyrcka »

i think there is a lot of new people with money that buys whatever is obscure records or something like that. Collecting only for collecting. All these records will increase in the next 10 years, until the vinyl trend finish, thats my opinion.
humus

Post by humus »

Shouldn't we be glad the young generation takes an interest in old obscure records rather than following the bland music that labels try to push down their throats nowadays? After all we love those obscure records, so why should we be surprised that others do so too?
And this might not be a private release but it's definately a rare one. I still hit my head for missing out on one years ago because of a malfunctioning email-account.

This price is ridiculous, might be a one-off or some shill-bidding involved, but it's equally ridiculous to say that it's the faulth of the young generation. The old generation has been elevating the price of TONS of records for so long, and it's not unlikely that the highest bidders on this particular auction are mildly obese and slightly balding middle-aged guys.
Decibel_Rebel

Post by Decibel_Rebel »

The Vinyl Bubble will burst sooner or later, that's for sure. I believe it will happen in less than 10 years, maybe only 5 years. Then, normality will be back regarding prices. Looking forward to this date.

In the last months I took advantage of this trend by selling some standard LPs for thrice the price than I've bought some years ago. I hope I will be able to get them cheap again in the future.
mordred

Post by mordred »

Quit being smug and patronizing every time a record reaches an all time high price.

Yes, new people get into metal every day, mostly young ones.
Yes, some of them will want to collect the same rarities you want.
Yes, prices are bound to rise all the time, there's no vinyl bubble to burst. The only way for the price of a record to go down is for the demand to drop or for the supply to rise, which normally doesn't happen. You think 40 euros is grossly expensive for an LP on Neat or Ebony Records because they cost 15 euros ten years ago, then keep in mind that in 1990 that same record cost 0,5 euros.
Yes, one copy of a record might reach an extraordinarily high price at one occasion for whatever reason, that's no reason to lose your temper. This price for the Black Death is odd and there's nothing to suggest the "usual" market price for a clean copy with the single isn't still 200-250 USD. But back in the 1990's the record was fairly easy to find and cost 50 dollars. The price is never gonna drop to that again and that's something you'll all have to live with.
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Mordred gets it.

It doesn't matter if it's old collectors, young collectors, or purple, long-haired, Siamese cats spending big bucks on records. If they can afford it, they have every right to pay whatever they want for an item they desire. Something like the Black Death auction may appear crazy to many collectors, but news flash- the buyer really couldn't care less what a bunch of collector fanboys on a Swedish forum think of his purchasing habits. We can act as smug, indignant, and condescending as we want.... and it doesn't really mean a damn thing.

And truth be told, you have a mix of old and new collectors affecting prices. Some old collectors have finally gotten out of school or secured a good job, and now have the money to afford some of the records they've wanted for a long time, so they buy them. And some young/new collectors have enough disposable income to buy them too. Yes, kids today have more money to burn than I did at their age. That's not outrageous, that's expected; even adjusting for inflation, I had more pocket money than my parents did when they were kids, and they had more than their parents did as kids.

We can chide and tut-tut kids for not "starting with the basics", but that's hypocritical b/c a lot of us jumped into the obscurities early on too. What, everyone has to do a 3-year internship where they think 'Melissa' and 'Crystal Logic' are as deep as the underground goes? Why? Heck, it's not even like "starting with the basics" is cheap and easy now either; "Melissa" runs $40+ and 'Crystal Logic' has repeatedly pushed $100, and both those records are 30 years old now; that's twice the age of some people who listen to them!
Yes, listening to the basics is a good idea b/c it can help you understand and appreciate the obscurities more, but not everyone wants to spend years listening to Kreator record before investigating NME and Graf Spee (personally I don't want to spend 10 minutes listening to Kreator, I never liked 'em at all :) ).

As Mordred correctly said, these records are not getting any younger. The human mind plays tricks when it comes to the age of things. To someone like me, yeah, 'Master of Puppets' and 'Killers' are records that SHOULD be $5-10 apiece and easy to find b/c that's what i remember them being. The problem is my memories are from 20 years ago regarding records that were made 30 years ago. Our memories don't update themselves as times change. Trends come and trends go. Some records have gone up in value, others have come down (try selling any NWOBHM singles lately? Don't bother unless they're grail items).

For those who want the music without the price tag, there's a world full of d/ls and reissues available. Personally, I'd rather pay $50 for an original 'Melissa' pic disc than $30 for the reissue pic disc, but that's just me; I can afford the extra $20 and I want the original item, but others may not care about the pressing and they may need the extra $20. That's fine. The wheel turns. There's not much to be accomplished by sitting on the sidelines questioning why the wheel doesn't stay put.
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
chatzial

Post by chatzial »

@ nightsblood

Don't get me wrong, i agree with most of your previous points.
But this sounded funny : ".... Some old collectors have finally gotten out of school..." :lol: :lol: :lol:
E.C.S.S.R. will prevail
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

In laymans terms: Don't talk about record collecting on a record collecting forum :lol:
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."