Suspected fake live recordings

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Drequon

Post by Drequon »

Surface - Race the night was, as far as I know, actually recorded live with half a dozen fans in attendance, then Long-Beach-Arena crowd noises added to it - exactly the same case of A II Z's "The Witch of Berkeley", or so someone said to me, I can't really remember.

I guess live albums make sense if they offer something that goes beyond the studio vrs. "Unleashed in the East" is perhaps my favorite album from Judas Priest, and I sincerely couldn't care less if it was 'enhanced' in studio. Take UFO's "Doctor Doctor" or "Rock Bottom", for instance - both sound WAY better in the "Strangers of the Night" vrs than the original studio recordings on "Phenomenon". Some bands are at their best upon a stage, and sometimes a live recording really capture it. And sometimes a one-take recording really works for the best - would Taurus "Paper Chaser" be any better with a proper production than it was live-in-the-studio for BBC?
You know that I see in your eyes - Blind Fury!
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

Three pages and still no Live Insurrection? It even features a duet between studio Bruce Dickinson and 'live' Halford. :lol:
Probably one of the most studio'd live recordings.
E5150

Post by E5150 »

I don't know whether it is right to mention here, however... Headthrashers Live is partially fake. The gig actually happened, but the audience was changed on LP. If I remember well, a MX's member mentioned about there a tape of the complete gig with the original audience. Unfortunately I never saw.
Samurai

Post by Samurai »

bigfootkit wrote:Didn't Metallica also do this with the "live" tracks on the "Jump In The Fire" 12"?
I'm sure i read someplace that they took "No Life 'til Leather" demo recordings and added crowd noises.
Lars confirmed in 1985 that these songs were not really live.

V/A Heavy Metal Live In Germany is another one.

And how about the crowd noise on the Thor Live in London video :lol: