COLDSTEEL - 20 Years NY Thrash: The Demo Anthology (RWH #4)

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
Stormspell

COLDSTEEL - 20 Years NY Thrash: The Demo Anthology (RWH #4)

Post by Stormspell »

This thread seems to have evaporated, so here it comes once again:

Prowler

Post by Prowler »

Maybe it's just me, but in my book Coldsteel belongs to the worst Thrash bands in the world. The debut LP was such a modern sucker and later when I got the demos I realized they never had been good. They should be happy that they got at least the chance to record an LP but on that infamous label they had been in pretty good company with some of the worst bands on this planet; Beherit, Mutilation and Goatlord.
It's not easy to be the Antichrist ...
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

I agree Freakboy is pretty weak album, but the demos have nothing in common and are great thrash metal in typical 80's NYC style (early Anthrax, Overkill, etc.)
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

"Freakboy" isn't ever going to be at the top of any "Best Thrash" lists but for 1992 it's a competent album and the New York scene was never the most serious. I agree that the demos are by far superior even though a few of the tracks later ended up appearing on the LP. At least they didn't go in the terrible groove direction that was starting to take place a the time.

P.S. Funeral Nation was also on the Turbo label, so it wasn't all bad.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
daniel

Post by daniel »

"some of the worst bands on this planet; Beherit, Mutilation and Goatlord."

Ridiculous claim.
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.
Aiden

Post by Aiden »

daniel wrote:"some of the worst bands on this planet; Beherit, Mutilation and Goatlord."

Ridiculous claim.
Agreed. Goatlord and Beherit get regular spins around here. Currently wearing a Goatlord t-shirt!

Not familiar with Coldsteel. I must check out some songs of theirs. The booklet looks impressive.
Dodens Grav

Post by Dodens Grav »

daniel wrote:"some of the worst bands on this planet; Beherit, Mutilation and Goatlord."

Ridiculous claim.
Given the typical musical tastes of this forum, I was afraid of being the one to say it, so I'm glad to see I'm not alone. 8)
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

Avenger wrote: P.S. Funeral Nation was also on the Turbo label, so it wasn't all bad.
I didn't mention Funeral Nation just those infamous 3 other bands. Malicious Onslaught had an album on Turbo Records too which was listenable but not a crusher. That label had a pretty bad taste in kind of Metal bands, just see the main label of this guy, Metal Enterprises.

And Beherit, Mutilation and especially Goatlord are some of the worst bands indeed. I won't change that opinion. Goatlord can't even play their instruments and Death Metal and Hawaii-shirts do really fit to together, no?? Totally true Death Metal, alone the ridiculous band pic says everything about their dedication to Death Metal. If that's the right spirit then help us god. :lol:
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Hellroadie of Manilla Road wears hawaiian shirts and shorts on stage as well. What do you have to say about that?
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Nightcrawler

Post by Nightcrawler »

Prowler wrote:
Avenger wrote: P.S. Funeral Nation was also on the Turbo label, so it wasn't all bad.
I didn't mention Funeral Nation just those infamous 3 other bands. Malicious Onslaught had an album on Turbo Records too which was listenable but not a crusher. That label had a pretty bad taste in kind of Metal bands, just see the main label of this guy, Metal Enterprises.

And Beherit, Mutilation and especially Goatlord are some of the worst bands indeed. I won't change that opinion. Goatlord can't even play their instruments and Death Metal and Hawaii-shirts do really fit to together, no?? Totally true Death Metal, alone the ridiculous band pic says everything about their dedication to Death Metal. If that's the right spirit then help us god. :lol:
those bands sound like Malmsteen compared to Christblood's demo :lol:
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

It's pretty weird to see Malicious Onslaught considered as "listenable" and Goatlord as one of the worst bands ever in the same post.
msp

Post by msp »

Is there really any demand for this? I guess there must be as having exhumed nearly every corpse from the 80's we are now digging up early 90's thrash bands.

Oh and BEHERIT rule :twisted:
Remember kids, only high priced rarities are true...
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

msp wrote:Is there really any demand for this? I guess there must be as having exhumed nearly every corpse from the 80's we are now digging up early 90's thrash bands.

Oh and BEHERIT rule :twisted:
The band was formed in the mid 80's I believe? At least two demos are from the tail end of that period.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Herkus Monte

Post by Herkus Monte »

I believe there is still a lot to dig in the 80`s too...
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

ION BRITTON wrote:Hellroadie of Manilla Road wears hawaiian shirts and shorts on stage as well. What do you have to say about that?
Man, are Manilla Road Death Metal or a wanna-be-Black Metal band? I have nothing against Hawaii shirts and fun shorts but if you play in a Black or Death Metal band you have to dress for a strict clothers order! Otherwise your band tends to be seen as not trustworthy and fake. Nobody wanted that Goatlord LP when it came out I remember. I just bought it for the cover. The Mags gave them 1 point and musically that's even too much if you ask me.

Furthermore it's quite "interesting" if not absurd to see that Manilla Road gets so much recognition by former Black and Death Metal fans. They prohably don't understand english or whatever as the old Manilla Road lyrics of albums that they praise are pro-christian and anti-evil/devil stuff.

And yezz, there are sooooooo many 80's corpses to dig out, why the hell Coldsteel? Why why why?
Go to the Rabid (Can) myspace site if you want to play Samarithan and release their demos on CD! Then at least a band that deserved it gets a re-release, but not crap like Coldsteel ... :lol: