Metal made by black musicians

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
perishinflames

Post by perishinflames »

Metalhunter wrote:Didn't fit exactly into the eighties, but it's a very cool band from the Netherlands...

Any chance you could upload this?
sovdat

Post by sovdat »

Suicidal Tendencies
Herkus Monte

Post by Herkus Monte »

Anyone heard Seventh Seal from California?
MetalizeR

Post by MetalizeR »

Judas Priest, Twisted Sister, Metallica in his early days, of corpse.
Metalhunter

Post by Metalhunter »

perishinflames wrote:
Metalhunter wrote:Didn't fit exactly into the eighties, but it's a very cool band from the Netherlands...

Any chance you could upload this?
sure, no problem...just gimme a lil bit of time!
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

I thought you meant Death Mask with "Split the atom". Did that Doom Metal Death Mask release anything in the 80's? It doesn't seems so.

And as for Living Colour, I've heard some songs of them back in the late 80's and it's nothing I'd call Heavy Metal. Any Crossover/Funk/Metal/Hard Rock stuff just like 247Spyz ...
It's not easy to be the Antichrist ...
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

I was just re-reading this thread and it occurs to me that Bad Brains are not mentioned.
Whilst their early material was Punk/Hardcore with the occasional reggae/dub moment, by the time of "I Against I" & "The Quickness", there was a lot of Metal to be found in their sound, especially evident in guitarist Dr. Know's playing.
I was also reminded that Rudi Riviere of the NWoBHM bands Sapphire and Dragonfly went on to play in a band called The New Torpedoes before forming the more Hard Rock orientated Terraplane with former members of Nuthin' Fancy.
After Terraplane the band's members (minus Rudy) formed the shit Brit-Rock institution Thunder.
I've never heard anything by The New Torpedoes or Terraplane, but perhaps they could qualify for inclusion in your list because of Riviere's involvement?[/b]
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
malegys

Post by malegys »

Life beyond (Washington DC)
Sepultura (Post Roots bloody roots)
"Do you like Wenom?"
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

M-80 fit the requirements too.
Cochino

Re: Metal made by black musicians

Post by Cochino »

Bumping this because I've been delving into this stuff lately, so I wanted to see if there were any new recommendations from more savvy people. I know the OP was specific about the 80s, but I'd be interested in any sort of bands and albums that would fit this site's profile, even if they're more modern. I'm also mostly interested in bands where you think the racial element is somewhat noticeable in the music itself, as I'd argue it is in the cases of Hirax, Black Death or Stone Vengeance.
wicked keeper

Post by wicked keeper »

Vendetta (US)

Dunno if it counts but Demolition (UK) bass player was a Sikh.

Manny Cooke who was in Extreme Noise Terror from 97-01 and very briefly in Pagan Altar, though the less said about the latter, the better.... :lol:
Metal Knight

Post by Metal Knight »

I think that Bloodshot Eyes (UK) fits perfectly here.
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

Metal Knight wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:44 pm I think that Bloodshot Eyes (UK) fits perfectly here.
I had never heard of them. I'm checking them out right now, sounds pretty good, if not all that heavy. I like the melancholic vibe and there's no boogie crap so far, so that alone makes it much more interesting than 90% of obscure "NWOBHM" (though there's a track with "Rock and Roll" in the title near the end, so I'm bracing myself).
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Cochino wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:34 pm
Metal Knight wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:44 pm I think that Bloodshot Eyes (UK) fits perfectly here.
I had never heard of them. I'm checking them out right now, sounds pretty good, if not all that heavy. I like the melancholic vibe and there's no boogie crap so far, so that alone makes it much more interesting than 90% of obscure "NWOBHM" (though there's a track with "Rock and Roll" in the title near the end, so I'm bracing myself).
Don't fight the boogie, embrace it. :lol:
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

Well, luckily there was no boogie but it just never really picked up. The only real standouts for me were Lightning Man and Losing Out on You. The rest was just passable background music.