Question For USPM Fans

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

I still have a deck but I hate tapes and have gotten rid of 99% of my tapes, and will eventually ditch the few that remain (need to digitally transfer them first)

Terrible format IMO: fragile, hard to spot-play, tiny artwork, etc. I grew up during the tape era too; didn't like 'em then and will never move back to them. Vinyl and digital for me please :)
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
Cauldron_Born

Post by Cauldron_Born »

Thanks to all of you. I have been reading everyone's responses and I talked with some friends at other record labels, and I am leaning towards just waiting and releasing the full length only,on CD. I had originally thought about releasing a Cauldron Born EP on cassette with two new songs plus a Heavy Load cover.I would still like to do that Heavy Load cover, though. When Cauldron Born was on Underground Symphony, they asked me if I would like to record a couple songs for a Heavy Load tribute album. Unfortunately,that album never came to fruition. The label owner explained to me that most of the guys in the young symphonic metal bands on his label had never heard of Heavy Load.

Howie
StygianBlade

Post by StygianBlade »

I love tapes.

A CB EP on tape will be a killer one. About the Heavy Load cover it will also rule. Have you already recorded anything back from the tribute album days or is there a plan to record something now?

A vinyl edition of this will also rule!
roihlem

Post by roihlem »

I still listen to tapes here and there. Maybe not as much as some years ago, but still...Many gems were released on tape only...I prefer them far over all those crappy CDRs, so I am glad that bands such as Tales Of Medusa, Portrait, Atlantean Kodex, Evil Witch and a few more continued with this tradition in the new century. I would listen to tapes much more, if I were not afraid that my tape deck could destroy the track. Most 80s demos you get, you see them just once in a lifetime, so I take care....
Nicko McBuff

Post by Nicko McBuff »

I prefer them over a crappy CDR as well. My car has no CD player just a tape deck. Tapes are the required ammunition for being street lethal.

I've worn out many mixed tapes. Midnight Priest released a killer demo that got a lot of play. Looking forward to the Atlantean Kodex live tape.
lynx

Post by lynx »

I still listen to some tapes, nothing really obscure except for some occasional punk, mainly stuff like Rush and Megadeth on tape.

I'm also not crazy about the format and probably wouldn't buy any more cassettes unless it was something only available on tape.

I cleaned the heads and demagnetized and everything, and this one Jefferson Airplane tape seemed to be clear of highs until a certain point, cassettes just wear out after a number of plays.

To the o.p.: was this posted also on the Metal Archives? I remember a similar topic months ago...
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

I still have some tapes, demos but my deck has problems and I don't have the energy to search a new one.
Long Live The Loud !!!
Cauldron_Born

Post by Cauldron_Born »

StygianBlade wrote:I love tapes.

A CB EP on tape will be a killer one. About the Heavy Load cover it will also rule. Have you already recorded anything back from the tribute album days or is there a plan to record something now?

A vinyl edition of this will also rule!

StygianBlade: I like your nickname.The EP will come out on vinyl. Hopefully in early 2011. The Heavy Load cover will be recorded with the new line-up.

lynx:I did post this topic on MA around the same time I posted here, and thanks to all of you guys who have posted here in response. I really appreciate it.

Howie
The Knell

Post by The Knell »

all the time
I have two decks, if one fails to play one the other one always does it (but the rewind is broken on one which sucks). I even had a double tape recorder which I used for tape trading but sadly it's broken for 3 years or something. I dont collect demos only, I also like to get first press tape LPs of favorites (mostly).

rough est
50% playing vinyl
49% playing tapes
1% fucking CD

many bands released their best stuff on tape only!
George

Post by George »

I love tapes. My second favourite format and I still buying tapes from underground bands.
I have some demos on cassete (mostly Finnish/Swedish old school death metal).
My Mother, she told me off today and so I killed her.
But not really, she is still alive inside my head .
DeathMetalWeenie

Post by DeathMetalWeenie »

I still have a tape deck.

But I have a love/ hate relationship with the cassette format. I love to hate them.

A very unstable format.

But the CD age did not happen until 1988 or 1990. And tons of favorite albums from 1981-1988. Never got the CD treatment from the original label or as a reissuse by labels such as High Vaultage/ Sentinel Steel.

There is stuff like Dark Age " Dark Age" or Hammers Rule "Show No Mercy", or the first Ded Engine LP never got pressed on to CD. So for these reasons...a tape deck is needed.

Stuff like Metallica "No life til leather" has been bootleged on to CD in horriable ways. Wrong title, wrong running order, bonus tracks added... One is better of of getting the original demo cassette.

As far as going from cassettes and Vinyl to CD...I have regrets now doing it, but I am stuck with CD's...because I would hate to think how much it would cost to go from CD back to owning the original vinyl pressings.
Vinny Black

Post by Vinny Black »

Tape deck's still present.
Besides listening to old demo's and shit you can do pretty
funny things with a tape recorder (or two).
"My music is not modern, it is merely badly played." Arnold Schönberg 1874-1951
Herkus Monte

Post by Herkus Monte »

I like tapes a lot, at least those professionally made, with a booklet etc., not shabby dubs with handwritten songtitles (so uncult of me...). And I definitely prefer pro-tapes over picture discs or those detestable slatter vinyls :evil: Old cassettes are not really collectable and that might be a reason why I have got some pretty rare albums (Commander, Rychus Syn) on this format.
On the other hand I find it amusing that tape was (or maybe still is) an objject of cult among some metalheads who treat it as the only proper format for metal music. Fortunately ic concerns mainly some retro death/black crap so I don`t have to care that much.