Insane Ebay Auctions - CD (2012)

...and all CD issues goes here.
Helstar

Post by Helstar »

Ahh ok, next time specify it ^^;

Silence at 670$ already lol http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0941625672

Arbitrater is OWNED :lol:
Fabeldyr

Post by Fabeldyr »

Helstar wrote:Ahh ok, next time specify it ^^;

Silence at 670$ already lol http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0941625672

Arbitrater is OWNED :lol:
Strange no one has placed a bid on the Bloodstone yet. I thought it was one of the most rare of the Swedish death ones.

I used to have that Excruciate cd, but traded it (probably for a common cd) long before it had any value :oops: Not particulary good though, the Bloodstone is way better.

EDIT: Apparently there was a bid on it just as I wrote here.
humus

Post by humus »

sovdat wrote:What I wanted to say is that I'm not really shocked anymore seeing all these CDs go for huge amounts on ebay. Perhaps the prices will continue to grow? Perhaps it's just the current state of things, several collectors who can afford to buy stuff are trying to complete their collections? And once they'll own those albums, there won't be any others left (for a while) to pay the prices that were set by them? For example, there were several auctions with thrashking and rituallyabused being top 2 bidders, and those auctions went way above the usual / expected price - Atomic for $300, Epitaph for $300 ... these CDs for example didn't "last" and copies were sold for 1/3 of that amount later on ... some others on the other hand are still going strong (Silence, Impact, Arbitrater ...). I guess cause they appeal to wider public ...
As a bit of an outsider the CD-collecting thing really keeps on amazing me. Prices keep rising and people buy the biggest crap first. Then you have the whole bootleg problem and matrix-fetishism. It's just a personal impression but I can't see the 'fun' in all that.

I sold most of my rare things some years ago because I thought prices wouldn't go higher. I think I could get a lot more now. I've been thinking of selling all my rarities/mid-rarities on CD because I think these high prices won't last.
slayerhatesusall2

Post by slayerhatesusall2 »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SLAYER-SHOW-NO- ... 2318bb245d
They got $294 for hell awaits slimline as well. :roll:
Heathen

Post by Heathen »

@humus

I don't deal with boots in any way, but in a twisted way the existence of the bootlegs adds to the fun and raises the stakes further. Now you not only have to dig a CD, but also the info needed to recognize the original.

I can understand people who say collecting is no fun, fine with me. But I can't understand people claiming that "collecting vinyl is fun, collecting CDs is no fun" or the other way around. I think this is always just a personal bias. Aren't you just a bit bitter because you sold your rarities for 1/4 of what you could have sold it for?
humus

Post by humus »

If one day the vinyl-world gets as flooded with bootlegs as the CD-world I think my collecting days would be over, to be honest. I don't mind paying attention when buying something (which you also have to do with vinyl as bootlegs are always around, just not in the same number), but if for everything I wanted to buy I needed to do a time-taking survey in order to ensure originality, it would become too much of a drag to me.

Also, I see that for some bootlegs the only way to tell if it's original or bootleg is tiny details like a spelling mistake, or a different font of the matrix. When mistakes are this small, I don't doubt that there are already completely identical CD bootlegs out there. Bootleggers won't make a mistake each time they want to press an identical bootleg.

I would be bitter for the CD's I sold if I hadn't bought them all for less than what I sold them for. But I only bought one or two expensive CD's in my life.
slayerhatesusall2

I don't think I've ever seen a cd bootleg that looked exactly 100% like the original in every single way, seen a few that come close though, like that target master project genesis one for instance. I really hope the bootleggers don't figure out a good way to bootleg the matrix's exactly, that would really suck.
That silence cd dropped back down to like 435 since the top bidder had the bid cancelled. Still insane, I'd love to have a copy myself of that awesome album, but not for that price. Alot of these top rarities deserve the price considering how little were made and how good they are, but some like the arbitrater one are quite average musically, not bad at all but not $500+ good.
humus

Post by humus »

slayerhatesusall2 wrote:I don't think I've ever seen a cd bootleg that looked exactly 100% like the original in every single way, seen a few that come close though, like that target master project genesis one for instance. I really hope the bootleggers don't figure out a good way to bootleg the matrix's exactly, that would really suck.
That was my point...how would you identify an exact bootleg as a bootleg? There's no way to tell. Unless the bootlegger is stupid enough to distribute them through his 'known' bootleg channels.
slayerhatesusall2

humus wrote:
slayerhatesusall2 wrote:I don't think I've ever seen a cd bootleg that looked exactly 100% like the original in every single way, seen a few that come close though, like that target master project genesis one for instance. I really hope the bootleggers don't figure out a good way to bootleg the matrix's exactly, that would really suck.
That was my point...how would you identify an exact bootleg as a bootleg? There's no way to tell. Unless the bootlegger is stupid enough to distribute them through his 'known' bootleg channels.
You could tell if it had hole punches or cutouts, never seen the bootleggers do that to the cds, or if it had alot of scratches, or how old the jewel case is, or if they couldn't get the exact right texture of the inserts that the original had, of course, the bootleggers could realize this and purposefully cut or punch the inserts or scratch the cd or put it in an old jewel case. I've had a bootleg that was intentionally scratched up pretty badly, even skipped on a song.
sovdat

Post by sovdat »

The only absolutely positive way to have the original would be
a) if you had bought it back in the day or
b) if you bought it from a very reliable person that bought it back in the day

CD in good (++) condition, that look 100% like original, every detail done to the point, up for sale in 2012? Might be just a 100% done bootleg ;)

CDs with scratches, punch holes etc. - more probable, but still :) Perhaps the ones with damages that seem to demand more time (yellowed booklet pages?) are the safest purchase nowadays :D

And yeah, for me all this bootleg mania killed a lot of fun ...
Fabeldyr

Post by Fabeldyr »

Wouldn't it be possible to carbon-14 test the cds + artwork for age? :lol:
sovdat

Post by sovdat »

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about that kind of options :D
Warepire

Post by Warepire »

Fabeldyr wrote:Wouldn't it be possible to carbon-14 test the cds + artwork for age? :lol:
As far as I know we cannot get that exact results from carbon14 dating. I read about this before and I think it can be off by even 20 years.
Astra Wally

Post by Astra Wally »

Heaven is yours, Hell is mine
caminantenocturno

Post by caminantenocturno »

No bids so far ... still insane.