Bargains??

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
perishinflames

Post by perishinflames »

Now to spend another $4.99 on a regular copy to replace that ratty sleeve :wink:
estebaan

Post by estebaan »

Sorry if this isn't the right topic, but I was wondering if any of you had any comment on this situation...

Would you consider buying a good quality LP only without picture sleeve for much less than normal on the hope that you would find a better copy of the cover later on (and not have to worry about the condition of the LP)? Does this happen very often?

I've not been lucky in the past which is why I am hesitant, but I do want to get the music. It's not a total giveaway, otherwise it would be a no brainer, but around 20% of what it would normally be with cover included.. I'm worried I'll pass it up then come across a great condition cover with crappy LP later ... anyone have any luck doing this?
chatzial

Post by chatzial »

estebaan wrote:Sorry if this isn't the right topic, but I was wondering if any of you had any comment on this situation...

Would you consider buying a good quality LP only without picture sleeve for much less than normal on the hope that you would find a better copy of the cover later on (and not have to worry about the condition of the LP)? Does this happen very often?

I've not been lucky in the past which is why I am hesitant, but I do want to get the music. It's not a total giveaway, otherwise it would be a no brainer, but around 20% of what it would normally be with cover included.. I'm worried I'll pass it up then come across a great condition cover with crappy LP later ... anyone have any luck doing this?
Welcome estebaan.
I have done it in the past. I have bought the VENIN vinyl without picture sleeve for a good price and i am still looking for the cover.
Which is the one you are thinking to buy?
apollo.ra

Post by apollo.ra »

perishinflames wrote:Now to spend another $4.99 on a regular copy to replace that ratty sleeve :wink:
I'll probably keep this one. :P :P
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

estebaan wrote:Sorry if this isn't the right topic, but I was wondering if any of you had any comment on this situation...

Yep, I've done it. Bought the Damascus (UK) EP without sleeve for £1, but still haven't found a cover...
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

You can do that, but it can be hard to find a 'spare sleeve'. For more expensive items, a lot of the value is, strangely, in the picture sleeve. So even if you find a beat-up record in a nice sleeve (or just an empty sleeve), you may have to pay a lot to get it. For example, last summer someone auctioned a Sapphire 7" with just the sleeve- no record included- and the sleeve alone brought $600-800 (I forget the exact amount). The single w/o a sleeve would cost probably at least $300, so you'd still pay $900-1100 when buying the record and sleeve separately, which is about what you'd pay to buy them together.

There are some singles that I own w/ photocopied sleeves simply b/c the original sleeves drive the price so high.
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
Keir

Post by Keir »

I say yes, but 20% is a bit high. It's hard to put a percentage on something like that because it depends on a lot of factors. That might be worth it if:

a) it was a record which was released with and without a sleeve (e.g. I saved quite a bit buying the sleeveless Traitor's Gate)
b) you happen to know that there are extra sleeves and/or poor quality vinyls out there

I've also done the reverse, though I doubt I will ever find a loose Hammeron vinyl for my empty sleeve I bought for $1...
estebaan

Post by estebaan »

thanks for the info, I'm going to see this weekend and see what I can do with the price if he hasn't had any more interest. I will probably jinx this now and it will be sold elsewhere :?
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

Keir wrote: a) it was a record which was released with and without a sleeve (e.g. I saved quite a bit buying the sleeveless Traitor's Gate)
So,it's common to see Traitor's Gate without a sleeve?I got mine like that as well....Bad news is that now we are at least 2 looking for the sleeve :twisted: :twisted:
Never trust the Goblin King....
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Yes, a lot of copies of Traitors Gate turned up without covers or with photocopied covers. Many were sold around 3-4 years ago through ebay
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
The Knell

Post by The Knell »

rage heart 1988 D&S red/pink vinyl

i found this in essen for 15€ some months ago ! i dont think this is actually sought after, but it's rare and you pay some good cash for it on lists...

man this record is so cheesy...cinderella man!
Sgt. Kuntz

Post by Sgt. Kuntz »

Where were you in '79 when the dam began to burst

http://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/ptrz80
Dokken_Uwe

Post by Dokken_Uwe »

Is this your copy?
How is the music like?
See the flash of lightning cutting the edge of steel!
Sgt. Kuntz

Post by Sgt. Kuntz »

Nasty Uwe wrote:
Is this your copy?
How is the music like?
It's good. Very typical German metal, if you like DEADLY SIN, first two RAILWAY, VETO, GRAVESTONE, NOISEHUNTER and countless others. :D

I've missed this auction, but fortunately i got a copy two month ago.
Where were you in '79 when the dam began to burst

http://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/ptrz80
Keir

Post by Keir »

METAL POWER I , III , IV - $54

I thought I got a good deal on Metal Power II when I bought it for $27 from glockose earlier this year. So this was like a buy 2 get 1 free deal! Seriously though, it used to cost that much for 1 of these 45s.

BTW, I now have an extra IV for trade. (Anyone have an extra V?)