Clones we've learned to love...

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Dokken_Uwe

Post by Dokken_Uwe »

Black Axe wrote:
Nasty Uwe wrote:While talking about CELTIC FROST clones: DREAM DEATH anyone?
That's taking it a bit too far. You can definitively hear the influence, but a clone is something very different.
Yes, it's not an 1:1 clone, so I'd like to mention german group WARHAMMER as world's best HELLHAMMER copy.
Ernest Thesiger

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

Nasty Uwe wrote:I'd like to mention german group WARHAMMER as world's best HELLHAMMER copy.
Brazil's Apokalyptic Raids deserve a mention too.
"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."
J.K.

Post by J.K. »

Black Axe wrote:
Nasty Uwe wrote:While talking about CELTIC FROST clones: DREAM DEATH anyone?
That's taking it a bit too far. You can definitively hear the influence, but a clone is something very different.
Agree. And I like DREAM DEATH.
"We do what we do, and we put it out, if you want to buy it, buy it.
if you dont, fuck off." -Lemmy Kilmister

http://www.myspace.com/blackhammerftw
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

J.K. wrote:
For example, I can't put the first Exodus album at the highest place just because he sounds quite similar to Kill'Em All which have been done before all. So for me it lacks the final touch to make it a perfect album.
I don't see similaries between "Bonded by Blood" and "Kill'em All". When I listen to BBB, I hear Thrash-Metal and when I listen to KEA, I hear some speed-up Heavy-Metal, but thrash, no.
J.K.

Post by J.K. »

In my opinion this album is part Speed Metal, part Thrash Metal. Speed Metal because it's really close to NWOBHM. Thrash Metal because it's more brutal and dirty than simple accelerated HM. But Metallica's albums are always hard to put in only one category.

But I can understand your vision.
"We do what we do, and we put it out, if you want to buy it, buy it.
if you dont, fuck off." -Lemmy Kilmister

http://www.myspace.com/blackhammerftw
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

omen of hate wrote:
J.K. wrote:
For example, I can't put the first Exodus album at the highest place just because he sounds quite similar to Kill'Em All which have been done before all. So for me it lacks the final touch to make it a perfect album.
I don't see similaries between "Bonded by Blood" and "Kill'em All". When I listen to BBB, I hear Thrash-Metal and when I listen to KEA, I hear some speed-up Heavy-Metal, but thrash, no.
it was already said that Kill ´em All was Diamond Head played at 45,no thrash metal at all,pure speed metal,which btw,Living Death started around the same time ,maybe earlier, would you consider Metallica copying Living Death, i doubt so

now,when you put Ulysses Syren next to Exodus... :wink:
lynx

Post by lynx »

To me KEA is speed metal, but with thrash guitar. Anyways, a lot of Metallica does sound like NWOBHM at 45, with a bit of Killing Joke thrown in, some somewhat later Metallica even sounds like Cynic and Zenith at normal speed.
big mouth

Post by big mouth »

So right! But times changed around 1990 when people started to call everything a bit fast 'Thrash' so there's nothing surprising.
lynx

Post by lynx »

I'll add Reincarnate to the list of bands Metallica sounded like, especially since the Reincarnate demo and 7" were released in 1981 and 1982. They did sound like this band at 45 rpm (or maybe 78 since the single was already 45) two or three years later.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

I'm going to revive this thread as I was just listening to the first Living Sacrfice album and forgot about how much of a Slayer clone this is. Even the solos are pure whammy bar wankery ala Mr. King.

I’m also adding Saint. I’ve said it before here that the bands first two albums should have been what Judas Priest released in 1986 and 1988 instead of “Turbo” and “Ram It Down”.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
The Knell

Post by The Knell »

ION BRITTON wrote:
GJ wrote:
Nasty Uwe wrote:I've never heard about this DELIRIUM band, but if they sound similiar to C.F. then I have to check it out.

While talking about CELTIC FROST clones: DREAM DEATH anyone?
I believe it's quite hard to find... but you can always: http://ancientrhymes.blogspot.com/2008/ ... oouhh.html
Sound more like ASPHYX to me, they naturally bring FROST to my mind as well but not as a direct influence. Very good album, with a stronger production it would be even better.
the real celtic frost worship kicks in on the B side.
the A side is pure dooooom death
amazing record !
Herkus Monte

Post by Herkus Monte »

This is probably the best Dio era Black Sabbath clone I have ever heard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4mlWy-fl-w

Verily, they weren`t even trying to be original or innovative...
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

Herkus Monte wrote:This is probably the best Dio era Black Sabbath clone I have ever heard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4mlWy-fl-w

Verily, they weren`t even trying to be original or innovative...
not original at all,and i see wheres the sabbath influence coming from,thank you for posting this track. I have one track of this band out of the Metal Knights compilation but i dont recall its too much of a sabbath clone. I guess this was their tribute moment?