Metal Compilations

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Personal 2 favorite comps are:

Metal massacre IV
-as Lama said, filled with great song after great song

Norway Rocks
--some amazing bands on that one, especially Manitou and Anesthesia

Couple of others that deserve mention:

Southern Comfort vol 1
--includes 5 exclusive top-notch NWOBHM tunes from Straight Six and Deuce

Heavy Metal Eruption
--seveal cool italian bands featured on here

Thrash Metal
--nothing special here; this is one of those $4.99 tapes you used to find at truck stops. i list it b/c it's a sentimental favorite, as it introduced me to several of the big-name 80s bands, including Slayer, Megadeth, Death Angel, Nuclear Assault, Savatage, and the mighty Helloween, among others
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
Sgt. Kuntz

Post by Sgt. Kuntz »

Good choices Alan. That "Southern Comfort" thing is usually quite pricey though, like many NWOBHM-comps.

What about "No Substitude For Steel"? Many gems to be find here, most of them exclusice, with BIBLE BLACK, PROWLER and RAVEN MAD among the best. And it's affordable!
Where were you in '79 when the dam began to burst

http://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/ptrz80
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

HEAVY ARTILLERY = The best ever.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Metal Massacre II-VI
Iron Tyrants I & II
Norway Rocks
Descarga Norte
Lead Weight
Metal For Muthas
Demolition - Scream Your Brains Out
Heavy Metal Eruption
Heavy Metal Made In Italy

..would be my all-time faves, roughly. Still I've always thought any Metal comp with at least 1 or 2 killer exclusive tracks to be worth picking up if they're not too expensive. Keir's rant on the main comp-index page says it all really..
deathster

Post by deathster »

"Diminished Responsibility" is interesting for having Antichrist (UK) tracks. Some others are Unseen Terror and Heresy + more.
Ernest Thesiger

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

deathster wrote:"Diminished Responsibility" is interesting for having Antichrist (UK) tracks. Some others are Unseen Terror and Heresy + more.
Antichrist were mostly Heresy members on that comp. "Stoking the Ovens of Death" is the same song, lyrics apart, as Heresy's "A Sense of Freedom".
"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."
great_knuthulhu

Post by great_knuthulhu »

I've discovered several new, great ones from here. My faves are partly still great, partly nostalgic choices though.

Metal Inferno- Lots of great stuff on it. I bought it years and years ago and discovered Cloven Hoof and Witchfinder General through it. Probably in '86.

Ten Commandments in Metal- A bit of a guilty secret is that I love the Earthshaker track on that. I know it's simple HR, but I just can't resist it. There are some other real gems on it of course, and I remember riding my bike going home from the post office after ordering this from Svenska Skivklubben (I think). I was extremely excited to get home and listen to this one. This was before I started to shave, so it's a really long time ago.

Norway Rocks - A lot has been written about it here before, but there's some nostalgia here too. Ordered it from Streetfighter magazine after they had arranged the demo band competition to find bands for it. A couple of the bands are not all that TBH, but Manitou and particularly Anesthesia are so goo it just blows me away every time.

I'd also like to mention the Speed Kills compilations. There are really few duds on the first two IMO, though the tracks are mostly available elsewhere. Used those to discover new bands back when they came out and I still play them from time to time.
I know I ain't doing much,
doing nothing means a lot to me.
Vaggelis

Post by Vaggelis »

Death Metal 1984 contains 4 great bands.
Break Out compilations contain some bands really great(ARKHAM,VENGEANCE)

and of course Norway Rocks.
Sweden has some cool bands appearing in compilations(HELS,VIRGIN).
DeathStrike Kömmander

Post by DeathStrike Kömmander »

Break Out german metal tracks 2
Metalmania 87
Norway rocks
Metal Massacre
Dokken_Uwe

Post by Dokken_Uwe »

"East Coast Metal" (1988) seems to be a very good collection of White Metal bands, such as APOSTLE (yeah!) or RAGE OF ANGELS.
It still can be found on tape/cd/vinyl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv-YBG6S5jM
Ra Pariah

Post by Ra Pariah »

ION BRITTON wrote:HEAVY ARTILLERY = The best ever.
+1
All through the night steel by your side
Vaggelis

Post by Vaggelis »

I still don't understand why people refer Norway Rocks only because of ANESTHESIA all 5 bands are equal in my opinion.

my ranking

1)THUNDERDOME
2)MANITOU
3)ANESTHESIA
4)GET LOST(always reminded me of German metal TYRANT,REPRESSION,MORTOX)
5)SHELLSHOCK

MANITOU i think has a CD in the 90's.They play shitty(progressive) or am i wrong?
great_knuthulhu

Post by great_knuthulhu »

Vaggelis wrote:I still don't understand why people refer Norway Rocks only because of ANESTHESIA all 5 bands are equal in my opinion.

my ranking

1)THUNDERDOME
2)MANITOU
3)ANESTHESIA
4)GET LOST(always reminded me of German metal TYRANT,REPRESSION,MORTOX)
5)SHELLSHOCK

MANITOU i think has a CD in the 90's.They play shitty(progressive) or am i wrong?
That "Manitou" were never amazing, but the tracks on Norway Rocks were better than those off their album, Entrance (95).

I think Shellshock and in particular Get Lost are less than interesting tbh. Very generic and unimaginative IMO. Thunderdome were pretty good, but Manitou and Anesthesia were excellent.
I know I ain't doing much,
doing nothing means a lot to me.