Quicksand Dream - AELIN

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
GJ

Post by GJ »

Shadow Kingdom wrote:This recording sounds like it's brand new, not from '96

Did you re-record all the songs again? The Vocals rule.
Here's the story: Patrick recorded his stuff onto a four track porta studio during 1996-98, one track of bass and drum machine and three tracks of guitars. Guess you should hear this from him for the details as I wasn't really around during this period. He had a pretty hard struggle making it work that I can tell you.

About the vocals (thanks! btw), at first we just wanted to get the tracks down on tape so we considered recording the vocals live during mixdown. :lol: But then our mate Henrik Flyman asked us why not record the vocals at his digital home studio (which was complete news to me then, Cubase, Sound Forge and stuff). So we transferred the four tracks from the tape into ones and noughts and (on various occasions during 1998-99) recorded the vocals on top, added a few droning keys, a fake hammond and mixed it. No guitars were added.

Actually we considered re-recording everything less than a year ago. Patrick did some tries but then his current band Mortalicum got signed to Metal On Metal and we scrapped that idea due to time and energy limits. I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have been able to recreate the atmosphere of the original recording anyway. Guess that's all.
Zuul

Post by Zuul »

I influenced, the rest was up to him. I love the album, yes. It's a Beauty!
GJ

Post by GJ »

Still, well done Mike! :wink:
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

I've received my copy today, can't wait to check this tomorrow !!
GJ

Post by GJ »

Cool Omen!

If you hate it, tell your friends. If you don't, go see the doctor! :D
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

I've finally listen to it yesterday. I like it a lot ! Great atmosphere, great sound !! It sometimes make me thing of a heavier version of ASHBURY.
GJ

Post by GJ »

Heavier than Ashbury?

Nah...

PB & GJ in GJ's apartment in Uppsala, Winter of 1997

:lol:

Beauty is in the ears of the beholder. Cheers Omen!
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Whoa, lots of vinyls there!
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
GJ

Post by GJ »

Found the text below on Hellion Records. They sure know which strings to pull. I had to look up "opprobrius" in the dictionary. Haha, even I would like to hear this album.
Some good things take years to come to the light of day. This was the case with QUICKSAND DREAM and their lone album “Aelin: a story about destiny” being spawned in the late 80s, being worked on from 1996 to 1999 with a release as CDr limited to 30 copies in the year 2000. Ten further years had to pass by to see this masterpiece reissued on a proper CD and though I could read quite a few opprobrius reviews by so called music aficionados labelling this as out of time and underproduced retro music. Well, my congratulations, folks, you are absolutely correct. This is classic heavy progressive music ranging from rock to metal, with elements of folk thrown in for the good measure. The distortion of the guitars comes with a natural feel that might not bring the whole chainsaw feeling to any extreme but builds a powerful atmosphere. This concept album could be compared to the greatest early MANILLA ROAD or late 70s RUSH albums, stands in one row with such epic hardrock monoliths from the proto metal underground such as WINTERHAWK`s “Revival”, SORCERY`s “Sinister soldiers” and LEGEND`s “From the fjords” albums. You can expand the list of bands and records to compare this to without an end. If you can only live with shredding one chord riffs and screamy vocals, you are in the wrong place, with this record as with you whole life in general. This is music from the heart, creative, passionate and slightly insane. A great masterpiece
GJ

Post by GJ »

Vinyl sheduled for February!

Read about it on High Roller Records.
Vladimir

Post by Vladimir »

Vinyl sheduled for February!
Right, so I could finally complete my much delayed review and pretend it was meant to be about the LP instead of the CD version... :lol:
http://deadvoiddream.blogspot.com/
Dead Void Dreams Webzine
GJ

Post by GJ »

The songs remain the same. Cheers!

(Is it allowed to almost cite "classic rock" bands here, DaN?)
Shadow Kingdom

Post by Shadow Kingdom »

GJ wrote:
Shadow Kingdom wrote:This recording sounds like it's brand new, not from '96

Did you re-record all the songs again? The Vocals rule.
Here's the story: Patrick recorded his stuff onto a four track porta studio during 1996-98, one track of bass and drum machine and three tracks of guitars. Guess you should hear this from him for the details as I wasn't really around during this period. He had a pretty hard struggle making it work that I can tell you.

About the vocals (thanks! btw), at first we just wanted to get the tracks down on tape so we considered recording the vocals live during mixdown. :lol: But then our mate Henrik Flyman asked us why not record the vocals at his digital home studio (which was complete news to me then, Cubase, Sound Forge and stuff). So we transferred the four tracks from the tape into ones and noughts and (on various occasions during 1998-99) recorded the vocals on top, added a few droning keys, a fake hammond and mixed it. No guitars were added.

Actually we considered re-recording everything less than a year ago. Patrick did some tries but then his current band Mortalicum got signed to Metal On Metal and we scrapped that idea due to time and energy limits. I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have been able to recreate the atmosphere of the original recording anyway. Guess that's all.
So this recording was 100% complete around '99?

Or was there anything else done to it between '99 - present? Or did you just hand over the master from '99 as is to the labels?

Honestly it doesn't sound so cut and paste as you make it seem.
GJ

Post by GJ »

Wow, this is incredible. It's like if Manilla Road, Cirith Ungol and Pagan Altar had a threeway and concieved this. This is going to recieved constant spins this week.
Just saw this comment on the Shadow Kingdom forum. Can you be proud and humbled at the same time? Hope so.

Happy! :D Happy!
GJ

Post by GJ »

Shadow Kingdom wrote:So this recording was 100% complete around '99?

Or was there anything else done to it between '99 - present? Or did you just hand over the master from '99 as is to the labels?

Honestly it doesn't sound so cut and paste as you make it seem.
Seems we posted simutaneously... :D

It's excactly the same master as the CDr from 2000. The recording was completed and mixed in 1999. Yeah guess it sounds pretty well balanced and together to me too. All credits goes to Patrick and Henrik Flyman for making it work out so well.