How To Track a Band?

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

This is the primary reason I look at the Corroseum almost every day and contribute when possible. It is the single most serious place for metal I've found on the net. While we have our share of negative crap and arguing, etc. which seems to come with any forum, at least I know that most everyone that are here really are serious about metal and usually mean what they say, which isn't too common these days.
MEXDefenderOfSteel wrote:
and i want to be positive and say that part of those 300 people is The Corroseum people for sure....and thats why i like hanging around with your kind,no mp3 metal masters kind that just support what blogs and not labels releases :D
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

a healthy and constructive discussion needs an argument,it's the fuel for the mind to function,as long as it is in a rational civilized basis,pluralism never harmed anyone
Never trust the Goblin King....
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

Khnud wrote:But a follow up question:
Let's discuss the Vengeance single I uploaded in Poisonoise a while ago, and was subsequently posted (by someone) on the Bounded By Metal blog for the whole world to hear: Do you think my posting of the single will prevent any label from re-releasing it in the future?
Not to me, no. My only concern is with the physical bootlegs which end up soldby dishonest sellers passing them for the originals. It is hard to convince a fan to fork cash for something he had already paid good bucks for recently.

But with the mp3s - I don't worry too much. 95% of the mp3 leechers will not buy the real product even if they see it for $1.00 anyway, and I only cater to the other 5%, so it doesn't really bother me at all.
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

And yes, I have discovered some of my bands via such downloads, so it is not necessarily a bad thing you know.
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

doomedplanet wrote:This is the primary reason I look at the Corroseum almost every day and contribute when possible. It is the single most serious place for metal I've found on the net. While we have our share of negative crap and arguing, etc. which seems to come with any forum, at least I know that most everyone that are here really are serious about metal and usually mean what they say, which isn't too common these days.
Corroseum > other boards, we are tr00 :lol:

Seriously though, I agree with this. Most boards are either 90% BS or get so little traffic that there's no point in checking them regularly at all. Corroseum supplies a steady, fat-free diet for the serious metal fan
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Yes, the impact factor of the Corroseum is way higher than most other metal forums. And since we have all these collector heavyweights registered, it's almost like we're peer reviewed as well. :)
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Khnud wrote:Yes, the impact factor of the Corroseum is way higher than most other metal forums. And since we have all these collector heavyweights registered, it's almost like we're peer reviewed as well. :)
Oh don't get me started on peer review! I submitted a manuscript yesterday; hopefully I get good reviewers
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

"The single most serious place for Metal!"
"A steady, fat-free diet for the serious Metal fan!"
"Peer-reviewed by heavyweight collectors!"

I'm tempted to add these great slogans to the forum header, in true Blinking & Annoying advert-fashion :lol:
My sincere ThankYou's for the feedback though, made my weekend, srsly..

OnT: Tracking down obscure bands and their members is awesome fun, and the upside of living in Super-Bureaucratic Sweden is that it's also quite easy here. There's public resources where you can find any/every single citizen of the country + their birth date and home of residence in an instance. Through the years I've talked with people from bands like HELS, SHAKESPEARE, IRONSIDE, I.Q. ZERO, TREASURE, POWER ANGELS, GYPSY and many more over the phone, getting interesting band info and occationally the odd vinyl release and unreleased demo stuff for free. I'm often kicking myself why I don't do this more often... Takes some nerves I guess..
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

or to make it even more annoying, one of those popups that makes it so you can't get to the link you want, haha.
DaN wrote: I'm tempted to add these great slogans to the forum header, in true Blinking & Annoying advert-fashion :lol:
My sincere ThankYou's for the feedback though, made my weekend, srsly..

On
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

doomedplanet wrote:or to make it even more annoying, one of those popups that makes it so you can't get to the link you want, haha.
Now don't go temptin' a recently unemployed & poor collector scum with such foul (yet strangely compelling..) ideas! :evil:
tomas

Post by tomas »

I tracked down one band this year (a Belgian prog band from the 70s who released one 7"). I visited the guitar player, drove for more than 2 hours to get to his house, saw old photo albums, heard unreleased material and bought all his remaining copies. It was one of the coolest things I did this year. I asked him if I could make a YouTube video of the single, he said no, so I didn't do it, even though I wanted to. He also sent me scans of rehearsal photos that I'm not supposed to share, so I never will.
But does it slay witches?
daniel

Post by daniel »

I'm surprised he hadn't burnt all the evidence already with an attitude like that.
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Sometimes the band tracks you down.

:shock: :D
Herkus Monte

Post by Herkus Monte »

Khnud wrote:Sometimes the band tracks you down.

:shock: :D
I wonder how often it happens that some old balding fellas come to a label owner and say: "Hi, we used to be a heavy metal band back in the 80s, would you like to release our songs on CD/LP"?
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

daniel wrote:I'm surprised he hadn't burnt all the evidence already with an attitude like that.
It is interesting that several people have mentioned finding old bands who gave them material but made them promise never to share it. Seems kind of odd: "here, you can check this stuff out... but don't let anyone else check this stuff out". One possibility is that the person doesn't handle criticism well, so they're ok letting a dedicated fan that tracked them down hear stuff, but they can't stomach the idea of YouTube comment saying, "eh, these guys should have stayed Lost". Could be a result of harsh critics back in the day that the band member feels cost them their big shot. I dunno... anyone with more insight on this?
-Becky