How To Track a Band?

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

nightsblood wrote:As noted before, ebay's enforcement is very inconsistent. In August 2009, Glockose got complaints through ebay for listing a copy of that old Pagan Altar bootleg LP; last month a copy ran for 10 days (and sold for a crazy $200). Why was one auction cancelled and not the other?
Probable since John's auctions are a bit more "high profile", and get more exposure and more viewers. Someone must have tipped them off about the bootleg, and someone filed a complaint to ebay. The copy last month probably went unnoticed by the masses, except for the die hard fans (given the high end price).
nightsblood wrote:I HATE sellers that try to put all these weird conditions on the buyer. Screw that. If I buy your record, it's none of your business whether I keep it sealed and in a vault, play it until the grooves wear off, or re-sell it for 10x more than I paid you.
I agree for the most part, but as a label owner / distributor, I'd be annoyed if one buyer purchased 75% of all copies of my most recent release, only to keep them from the market, and sell one copy every other year for tons of profit. Simple solution: don't sell more than a select number of copies to the same person.
msp

Post by msp »

nightsblood wrote: As noted before, ebay's enforcement is very inconsistent. In August 2009, Glockose got complaints through ebay for listing a copy of that old Pagan Altar bootleg LP; last month a copy ran for 10 days (and sold for a crazy $200). Why was one auction cancelled and not the other?
Perhpas the Templars were asleep when that auction was running? :lol:
Remember kids, only high priced rarities are true...
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

Khnud wrote:I agree for the most part, but as a label owner / distributor, I'd be annoyed if one buyer purchased 75% of all copies of my most recent release, only to keep them from the market, and sell one copy every other year for tons of profit. Simple solution: don't sell more than a select number of copies to the same person.
Oh, I'd so LOVE to get a distributor/buyer purchasing 75% of any of my releases!

Annoying for me is when you invest $3-4000+ and months of hard work into a release, and then months later you've only sold 200 copies out of 1000...

So yeah, if there is someone willing to buy 75% of any of my releases off the bat - PLEASE BE MY GUEST! :D
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

:lol: @ Iordan

Seriously though, do you feel that file sharing significantly cuts down the number of copies that a new Stormspell release will sell?

I'll admit I've d/l'ed one SS release (Crosswind) b/c i couldn't make up my mind about it from the samples available. Now that I've heard it all, I really like it and will buy the CD in the very near future. So downloading will net you at least 1 sale :)
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
Keir

Post by Keir »

Just a few comments on my experiences because I really should be in bed...

I have contacted several bands/musicians, almost exclusively with the intent to talk to them about their bands and find out about any other recordings they may have made. Off the top of my head I can only think of one time I actually bought something from one of them. I was going to say that I had a very high success rate but now that I think of it, all those unreturned emails were probably uninterested people just like John described. That said, I have had enough success that I keep doing it when I find the time and motivation.

My means of finding people have included myspace (not necessarily a band page, could be a personal page of a band member), ebay (not always intentionally, sometimes I'll contact a seller and find out they were in a band), facebook, classmates.com, youtube, and just plain old google. I found one guy in a phone book but still have not got up the nerve to call him. I've even had a few people contact me out of the blue, mostly because of my comps blog but one was because he found my want list on metal-archives!
glockose wrote:In the past 7 days I have heard at least 6 bands from the 80's that I had never heard before, Without downloading anything..
I've probably heard twice that many in the past 7 days without downloading anything (not that it's a competition...) Yay for obscure comps!
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

glockose wrote:These are bands that have contacted Ebay and asked for there records to not appear on the site..
It actually shouldn't work this way. eBay does not block or police auctions on anyone's behalf per se. They do have a VeRO (Verified Rights Owners) program for that purpose. Once you sign for it and prove you are the copyright holder, it is up to you to monitor and report infringements to eBay. Once you are VeRO member you have a button on your control panel to report infringements which are then removed very promptly. If you do not report those auctions, eBay will do nothing.

Some bands/labels monitor very closely and remove everything, while other are not so strict and sometimes auctions get through.

Then again, technically it will be infringement if a band does not want to see their legal products sold on eBay. They can only report and remove bootlegs/counterfeit copies/etc.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

glockose wrote:
Khnud wrote:
glockose wrote:I do know there are artists that you CAN NOT sell on ebay.
Not just boots but anything to do with them will be pulled ASAP.
Bands with nazi imagery (NSBM included)?
I don't know about that.

These are bands that have contacted Ebay and asked for there records to not appear on the site..
That's not true. As long as the music was originally purchased in hard copy format, you can legally re-sell the same piece of music.

How do you think it's legal for record shops to operate?

See here for details:

http://www.law.duke.edu/journals/dltr/a ... r0018.html

The bands that are taken off of ebay are removed due to claims that the material for whatever reason is offensive, not because XY vinyl record is illegal to re-sell.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

stormspell wrote:
Khnud wrote:I agree for the most part, but as a label owner / distributor, I'd be annoyed if one buyer purchased 75% of all copies of my most recent release, only to keep them from the market, and sell one copy every other year for tons of profit. Simple solution: don't sell more than a select number of copies to the same person.
Oh, I'd so LOVE to get a distributor/buyer purchasing 75% of any of my releases!

Annoying for me is when you invest $3-4000+ and months of hard work into a release, and then months later you've only sold 200 copies out of 1000...

So yeah, if there is someone willing to buy 75% of any of my releases off the bat - PLEASE BE MY GUEST! :D
Haha, yeah I figured I might have stretched things a bit in my first statement. :)

But a follow up question:
Let's discuss the Vengeance single I uploaded in Poisonoise a while ago, and was subsequently posted (by someone) on the Bounded By Metal blog for the whole world to hear: Do you think my posting of the single will prevent any label from re-releasing it in the future?
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Khnud wrote: But a follow up question:
Let's discuss the Vengeance single I uploaded in Poisonoise a while ago, and was subsequently posted (by someone) on the Bounded By Metal blog for the whole world to hear: Do you think my posting of the single will prevent any label from re-releasing it in the future?
People who are really into such obscure stuff usually don't compromise with mp3s when and if that stuff is officially out. People who buy the things they really like, they will definitely buy it if it is rereleased.
It also depends on what the labels mean when they say it won't sell well because of the circulation of mp3s. If someone is planning to release 5000 copies of that Vengeance single and 300 people buy in the end, obviously it won't have sold very well. You gotta be realistic about the # of copies you will press each time and you gotta know to which people you are aiming at.
On the other hand I'm wondering...labels often claim they are hesitating to release obscure stuff because it is already circulating on the internet. But almost every time I see something obscure being rereleased it is almost always after someone has uploaded it on the internet. I have been compiling a want-to-hear list of obscure LPs/EPs/7s/demos over the years, none of that stuff has been uploaded yet and I don't have how most of them would sound like but I suspect that some will be right up my alley. Problem is that I haven't seen any of them being rereleased by some label until now, except maybe on 2-3 cases, mostly stuff from Arkeyn Steel which I instantly bought when they were out. I mean, I was searching BLIND ASSASSIN's demo for quite a long time when it was finally ripped and uploaded by someone few months ago and from what I've read so far, most people liked it. Wouldnt it be a bit weird if you saw a label now at this point coming and saying that 'we already knew BLIND ASSASSIN and they were great but now that it is uploaded we don't want to rick a rerelease", I mean if you already knew about it and knew it was cool and great why hadn't you release it before? What were you waiting for? My example is random of course and I'm just describing how I see the situation, but generally I have a feeling that it's some of those illiegal rips and uploads that sometimes times kickstart the whole thing of official releases which most label owners, just like the majority of the fan base, hadn't heard/heard of before.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

ION BRITTON wrote:
People who are really into such obscure stuff usually don't compromise with mp3s when and if that stuff is officially out. People who buy the things they really like, they will definitely buy it if it is rereleased.
It also depends on what the labels mean when they say it won't sell well because of the circulation of mp3s. If someone is planning to release 5000 copies of that Vengeance single and 300 people buy in the end, obviously it won't have sold very well. .
and i want to be positive and say that part of those 300 people is The Corroseum people for sure....and thats why i like hanging around with your kind,no mp3 metal masters kind that just support what blogs and not labels releases :D
Sgt. Kuntz

Post by Sgt. Kuntz »

MEXDefenderOfSteel wrote:
ION BRITTON wrote:
It also depends on what the labels mean when they say it won't sell well because of the circulation of mp3s. If someone is planning to release 5000 copies of that Vengeance single and 300 people buy in the end, obviously it won't have sold very well. .
and i want to be positive and say that part of those 300 people is The Corroseum people for sure....and thats why i like hanging around with your kind,no mp3 metal masters kind that just support what blogs and not labels releases :D
Hey Diego, i wonder if you are hard to track down? Did anyone ever tried to :D
Where were you in '79 when the dam began to burst

http://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/ptrz80
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Well, I'm sure there are lovers and true supporters of this music somewhere else as well and I, like most people here, am not totally against mp3s. But it's a completely different thing to have the real thing in your hands, it has its own magic :)

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Sgt. Kuntz wrote:
MEXDefenderOfSteel wrote:
ION BRITTON wrote:
Hey Diego, i wonder if you are hard to track down? Did anyone ever tried to :D
I tracked him down two KITs ago, wasn't hard to find at all :)

MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

John is right :P but you tell me Peter :wink:
Sgt. Kuntz

Post by Sgt. Kuntz »

Good, now i know where to track you down, better have some limited VOLTAX demos at hand when i'll find you... :lol:

Sorry, back to topic...
Where were you in '79 when the dam began to burst

http://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/ptrz80